Networking through a personal website

kamekichi

Registered
Reaction score
I searched through some of the old threads, but still have some more questions.

I am just starting freelancing in both writing and translating, so I'm lacking in the area of published work (only two credits and both are translating credits). I have a LinkedIn that cites the published work I do have, but with some upcoming conferences coming up, I'd like to start a personal website that I could list on my business card.

What should I put on this website? Obviously I could put the little work I have done, my education experience, and my writing interests(?) but what else? For fiction writing, should I put a written, polished, but not published short story or scene from a script up there as a clip? Is a website even a good idea?

I do have a blog, but would rather not connect it to this site. Should I start a new blog right on the site?

Thank you guys for any insight you might provide.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What should I put on this website?
Your web site is not a business card or sales flyer. It has to be current, relevant, updated and show your expertise in the field. You do this by writing, providing information and tips. Not by listing accomplishments.

Beyond that, contact info is the only thing else important.

Jeff

Lironah

Space Cadet
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joanalbright.net
I do have a blog, but would rather not connect it to this site. Should I start a new blog right on the site?

I would and did. I've got a blog that's specifically devoted to writing projects, as the main feature of my website. I keep it separate from each of my other projects because I know agents do web searches to see if a writer they're dealing with has an online presence. I don't post much up on it besides monthly WIP reports, but I do have a short story I published and a few other bits of my writing, like you suggested.

It's not much to look at yet, but if you want to see and maybe get some ideas, it's www.joanalbright.net.

Michele AKA Twig

Lurking In The Corner...
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't have a lot of clips, a blog can serve as a writing sample. Your basic site should include:
Home page- this explains what you do.
An about page- a little on who you are but mostly how you can help
Samples page- this is where your clips go
Contact page- this should be more than a simple form. Email and phone #s are better.
Blog- this is optional but can serve as a sample.
ideally you should have your contact info on every page somewhere near the top. You should also have a current photo of yourself to prove that you are real.

Hope this helps.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Definitely agree with Michele - especially about getting your email address and phone number up -- if you're worried about your phone number being online, you can get a free Google Voice number and have it forward to your phone. (I've had my real number on my site for several years and never had a problem.) I'm personally not a fan of contact forms at all -- people don't much like filling them out. They'd rather just click on an email link and be able to write you from their own email program.

One more suggestion: Don't mix fiction work/mentions into your site if you're trying to land freelancing work with businesses. Right or wrong, business clients tend to think fiction writers either aren't serious enough for business writing, or that they'll consider fiction their true passion and won't put in as much effort on boring old business writing. Better to let your fiction and nonfiction work live on different sites.

If you want to see an example of a site tailored specifically toward business/copywriting, you can take a peek at mine: www.angiemansfield.com or for another style, Emily Suess has a pretty nice site.

I'm the lead moderator in the Freelance Writers Den, where we have a bootcamp on building a good writer website and provide in-depth reviews of those sites. If you need some more help with your site, I'd be happy to give you suggestions or look it over when you've got something up. :)

Last edited: