Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well you can swear off romance and sex, and hard SF. That will still leave soft SF, and all of fantasy, unless someone requires steamy.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Noooo. Why are folks scared!? It's the wall of rules, isn't it? Or the 40ish day deadline?

There must be order. The deadline could be negotiated with other participants.

It's mostly that I..... Hm..... Well.... Damn. *goes back to thread*

See. See. It's not just me *points finger*

And Kricket is a miles better writer than me.

Um... :eek: Would you stop that?

Actually, don't. Keep heaping undeserved praise upon me!

:D

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good evening Cantina!

It's going to snow! :hooray:

I'm probably the only person excited about it, but I love snow. And it's been years since we've had a white Christmas.

I had stuff quoted, but forgot what I was going to say. So instead, chocolate for everyone!

3christmaschocolate.jpg

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in, arm duly twisted. Actually, trying to write something - anything - coherent by a deadline would be good discipline.

Discipline is good.

Also, I would take comfort in not being the only one writing really loooooong shorts :)

Long shorts ftw :)

I like novellas. I would read more of them if I could. (I'm particular about wanting to read short fiction in one sitting or at least in one day, as I think it should be read that way, which is not the case with a novel. And that means I don't always have the hour and a half I'd need to read a 30000-worder.) I wish I could write them more often. I have a collection with one of 19500 and another of 14000 words in it. But the longest solo story I've written recently was 6200 words, ten years ago, and most since have been quite short. That may well be about to change though.

Two of the great living exponents of long novelettes and/or novellas are the otherwise very different Alice Munro and Lucius Shepard, IMO.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
It's going to snow! :hooray:

I'm probably the only person excited about it, but I love snow. And it's been years since we've had a white Christmas.

I had stuff quoted, but forgot what I was going to say. So instead, chocolate for everyone!

Woot, snow! =^_^=

And oh yeah, it's Chocolate Thursday! And it's the 20th today, so you know what that means...

Eat chocolate like there's no tomorrow!

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
I just finished that Steven Tyler book. It got better as it went on - thanks Ande. When I first mentioned it you may recall people going on about addition and excess and 'the rock 'n' roll' lifestyle. I'll admit he does ramble a bit and there are times when you wonder what he's talking about but

There's something you missed, actually, two things

the first is Steven's knowledge of music of most kinds which thanks to his dad seems to be encyclopedic

and the second are the several years of being sober and straight

I'm guessing neither of those things is likely to make headlines right? I mean 'rock star plays Scrabble' is just not exciting.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We already established from Sian that the world still exists ;)

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Sci-fi, sex, credible humans, er, er, romance in general, settings.

And what if they don't like my jokes?

*Quakes in chair*

Please to get out of my brain. I don't like my insecurities displayed for all to see.

It's so nice that she scouts the future for us. :)

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
You know that candy that "melts in your mouth, not in your hand"? Yeah, apparently that doesn't apply to 3 year olds. :)

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I got done out of my bed this evening. Look who has taken it over:

12603_140505996102686_1119548715_n.jpg

Couldn't you just squee with the cutez?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know that candy that "melts in your mouth, not in your hand"? Yeah, apparently that doesn't apply to 3 year olds. :)

Psst, I debunked that around age eight during a 'cruise' around the Thousand Islands.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
BW, the new avatar is hilarious.

So... I need a name for an overweight superheroine with gravity-controlling abilities (and please do not be afraid to let me know if you find that offensive, I've been reassured it's not a dozen times but it's nowhere near too late to change her powers yet). Wears a brightass pink costume. Part of a super-duo with a female pyrokinetic/bruiser called Saffron who wears a brightass orange costume. Arch-nemesis is a supervillainess with power over ice and cold whose costume strongly resembles dominatrix gear.

Oh man... While we're at it, I need a name for the friggin' ice lady too. I sometimes hate how otherwise fully-formed characters drop themselves in my lap without names.

Basically, I think this idea sprung from all the heavy girls I've known (biblically xD) with confidence issues. This chick, she has none of those. Confidence may as well be her second superpower. So bombastic and potentially cheeky names are totally okay.

So far I'm torn between Father Frost, Old Man Winter, Good Ole Winter and Wicked Windy Winter.

Stick to the illiteration, my friend. I love the amount of illiteration in your storeh.

Ah yes, and check your reps :) I sent you a shamelessly blatant ego boost xD

'rock star plays Scrabble' is just not exciting.

*tapes a note to this post saying, "Hey Cobra, I nominate this for the quotebook"*

So guys, um. I know the world isn't ending tomorrow, so I really have no excuse for getting all sentimental on y'all, but I've had a lot of time to think with being ordered to rest and all, and I really just want to thank you guys for putting up with me when I was absolutely no fun to be around. The fact that I was incredibly depressed is no excuse for being as big an ass as I've been. I've been very hard to like this year, and yet so many of you reached out to me and remained totally accepting.

Frankly, my fellow Cantinaites, you deserve at least partial credit for the current, smiling Raven you see before you now. And, you know, I can't really raise a toast to you all while on ridiculous amounts of acetaminophen, but I can make you all coffee :e2coffee:

Last edited:

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Gais! Gais! If time it perfectly for when all of my painkillers are doing their best work, I can swallow liquids again! :partyguy:It does hurt, but it's down to a manageable amount of pain, which is much better than yesterday. I don't even care that hot liquids are still too painful- I had my first glass of water since Sunday, dammit, I am a happy woman.

Oh, and breathing no longer hurts. It's uncomfortable, but it doesn't hurt. :hooray:

Man, those healing smibbles really work, don't they?

I'm glad of this. Very glad.

Woot, snow! =^_^=

And oh yeah, it's Chocolate Thursday! And it's the 20th today, so you know what that means...

Eat chocolate like there's no tomorrow!

Ummmm

This :D 1230 pm here and the main street is packed with shoppers, otherwise everything seems normal.

I got done out of my bed this evening. Look who has taken it over:

12603_140505996102686_1119548715_n.jpg

Couldn't you just squee with the cutez?

Awwwww.

Yes. Yes I can squee at that.

And raven - thank you for the coffee. Just remember a lot of the effort at went into the current you was your doing too :)

:Hug2:

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Lady V, I join you in your joy of snow. Can't wait for morning.

Too cute Junely.

Raven, I'm glad that you are smiling. I know it's been a long time coming.

So would everyone be ok with the highly unskilled newb joining the SSSFF... ummm yeah the fun thing Fen is hosting? If I am deemed worthy can someone post a link for me? I don't travel outside the Cantina and I'm afraid I might get lost in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.