Question about Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so this is possibly a silly question, but if I have a game installed on my laptop that runs through Steam, will downloading it through Steam onto my desktop give me any problems?

Like, is it a case that the game will only run on 1 machine per license, or will I be able to play it on both machines?

Follow-up question: If I download a game through Steam, will I be able to play it on both computers? Ie. if I don't even have a disc copy, but just a digital one. I expect I'd need to download it onto both computers, but would that run into any problems?

I ask this for 2 reasons.

1. For some reason, the disc won't install the game I already own on my desktop. Not sure why - it says files are missing.

2. I want to get 2 other games (sequels to the 1 in question) and they're cheaper on Steam than in stores here.

Thanks in advance, gamers! (This is the only game I've ever played through Steam, so I'm a total Steam newb.)

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I'm pretty sure you can download and run games on any machine via your Steam account, but you can only have one copy of the game running at a time. So this shouldn't cause you any problems.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
And, in fact, you can now install a game on one computer, then have steam on another computer, and stream the game through your wife-fi into the other computer...i...think, I'm not entirely sure how that works, or what the point is, but IT SOUNDS COOL!

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
My fiancé and I have a steam account to play Rocksmith. One account and one game purchase works for all of our computers, PCs and laptops, as long as only one instance is running at a time.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
When Steam was installed in my computer, I would have Doom 2 downloaded on my PC, and then on my BF's PC. There was a program meant for multiplayer Doom, and it allowed us both to play at the same time!

Also, as a side note, Steam slowed down my computer, but I feel bad since people have gifted me many games, but I can't play them.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I downloaded the game through Steam and onto my desktop PC and... it still won't work. *sigh* No idea what the problem is, but it was the same problem as when I tried to install it off the disc.

As far as I know, it does work on Windows 8... No idea what the problem could be aside from that.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I scratched my head on this one, too.

Go onto the 'other' computer and try to log into your Steam Account from that other computer. I forget exactly what the procedure is but in effect the 'other' computer is eventually 'authorised' (via e-mail request from Steam to your original computer) to access your Steam Account.

I'm sure if you go to the Steam site and check the FAQ's you'll get help. It's a tad fiddly but I eventually managed it. And I play off-line, too.

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. But the thing is - I can already access my Steam account on both computers. It's just this game won't play on the desktop for some reason, while it works just fine on the laptop.

But I think I will have to check around on the Steam forums. Good idea. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.