The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Aggy, it took close to three months between contract and publication for my DSF story, and that was back when they were only six months old. I wouldn't be surprised if things are slower now.

I think they contacted me a week before the story went out.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Aggy, it took close to three months between contract and publication for my DSF story, and that was back when they were only six months old. I wouldn't be surprised if things are slower now.

Good to know. I sold them a story recently, and when I didn't see it on the February schedule I was worried. But it's good to know there's a lag between the contract and publication. Thanks!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

That's cool. I just was worried because my insecure side is certain they'll want to edit the story and I kept thinking "Maybe I missed that email somehow."

I'll go back to worrying about when I'll get a response from Apex and Stupefying Stories, now. :p

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
That's cool. I just was worried because my insecure side is certain they'll want to edit the story and I kept thinking "Maybe I missed that email somehow."

I'll go back to worrying about when I'll get a response from Apex and Stupefying Stories, now. :p

You have no idea how anxious I was waiting. :)

I think the email with edits was the same as the one giving me the publication date. If not, they came close together. So I think you're good.

I'm waiting too. Four things, all in the red. It's gotten to the point that I spend half my time wondering if everything was lost, and the other half wondering if they're all going to come back on the same day.

cara

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to the W1S1 forum, but hoping to stick around. :) I haven't submitted anything yet, but have a story going!

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Cara, Welcome :)

If you're writing, you'll soon be submitting!
Good luck.

cara

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I just submitted my first short story. I should hear back by March :)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Good luck with it :)

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
This is harder than I thought. I don't feel ready to sub my story yet and I have been playing with it all day instead of starting another one. My first week into this and I'm already falling behind. Maybe I will try and write four a month and sub them all the last week. Does anyone else play around with the rules?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Does anyone else play around with the rules?
Yep. Last year i was aiming for one story a month. I'd write the story one month, then edit and send it out the next month. Sometimes i'll play around even further if i feel it necessary. There's one story i'm just about ready to send out and i've been writing it on and off since April last year. I finished it in January this year, but figure it needs extra time to sit before i properly edit it.

Adapt the challenge to whatever suits you best. If you need extra time between writing the story and editing it, then allow yourself extra time. Different things work for different people. Hopefully the challenge will help you find what works for you :)

And, if you miss a week or two, don't get upset. Stuff happens. You'll probably find you'll catch up naturally over the course of the year anyway :)

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I've committed to one story every two months, which is slow, but I'm stuck with my current story. Probably need to stick it up in SYW soon. I've got a couple sitting out from last year waiting for responses. I seem to forget about them when I'm writing new stories though.

cara

Registered
Reaction score

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's been two months so I sent a query to Stupefying Stories asking for an update on my story. (And, yeah, I know most of y'all would wait a little longer but after the ChiZine fiasco, I don't wait any longer to query on story than the guidelines say I have to.)

Also getting really nervous about the recent rejections from Apex. Mine's just hitting the 30 day mark but that's well past most of what's been getting rejected the past few days. Yikes.

Oh, well. Not like I don't have other stuff to work on in the meantime. Trying to finish the SF western revenge story. It's close to being finished. Only another 3-4k I think. And then I'll have a novelette on my hands. Woohoo!

Aggy, fighting a cold today too

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Also getting really nervous about the recent rejections from Apex. Mine's just hitting the 30 day mark but that's well past most of what's been getting rejected the past few days. Yikes.

I know what you mean. My sub has only been there 12 days, but with them giving out 0-day rejections, I can't help but worry. Hope your cold gets better soon! Don't skimp on the vitamin C!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Mine's only been there 8 days, but I suppose I could be seeing it again, very soon!

Get well soon, Aggy!

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, ladies. :)

I did just get an email back from Bruce Bethke saying The Collections Agent made it through the first two rounds and he'll try and take a look at it and get back to me this week.

So. Now I'm pleased and more nervous than ever. >_<

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you!

cara

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Aggy, that's a good sign :) Get well soon too, try eating bell peppers or kiwi fruit.

I subed something to the AW Western contest (Western comedy maybe?) so we'll see how that goes.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Decided to stop by Earthbound (beware! flash site!) and found this amusing 'oops' -- at least I hope it's an oops:
Great english it isn't, but awesome it is! We're excited to announce that Sparks and Dark Stars are now full, and submissions to these collections are closed.
So the anthologies are awesome but not great English? :eek:

(and yes, defcon is going to poke fun *poke poke*)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Decided to stop by Earthbound (beware! flash site!) and found this amusing 'oops' -- at least I hope it's an oops:

lol They might possibly have been referring to the subheading: 'Thanks, but we're all full up!' ;)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't figure out their site at all.

I can't work out what they want, and I can't deal with the flash.

Meh.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Hey I have a story in "Sparks" and the English in my advanced copy of the anthology is just fine :)