The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations for where to send a 2k word mystery/crime story (w/ sim subs, sorry Izz! :) )? I just sent it to Ellery Queen and wanted to sub elsewhere but Duotrope doesn't list many places to submit to for the mystery genre. Suggestions?

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Do you have any recommendations for where to send a 2k word mystery/crime story (w/ sim subs, sorry Izz! :) )? I just sent it to Ellery Queen and wanted to sub elsewhere but Duotrope doesn't list many places to submit to for the mystery genre. Suggestions?

Hi, Mystery! If you look at the end of page 100 and start of page 101 of this thread, you'll see some markets listed by me, Izz, and maybe another person or two.

One thing -- are you sure that EQMM is OK with sim-subs? Their guidelines don't say either way...

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I just realized that one of my lovely crickets had its half-birthday a few days back and I didn't celebrate or anything!

*sniff* They get big so quickly!

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Mystery! If you look at the end of page 100 and start of page 101 of this thread, you'll see some markets listed by me, Izz, and maybe another person or two.

One thing -- are you sure that EQMM is OK with sim-subs? Their guidelines don't say either way...

Thanks! I'll go read through it now.
I specifically checked the sim sub box at Duotrope and they came up so I assumed they were ok with them.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished second short story. It needs quite a bit of work still, but at least it is down on paper. Leaving it alone for today. Tomorrow fixing it up. Monday sending it out. Write 1/sub 1 is really keeping me going, but it is not easy.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Working on revisions to an older story with the hope of getting it out on the circut by this evening. (It's SOOOOOO close to being done.) And waiting to hear from Goldfish Grimm's and Stupefying Stories.

Anyone else besides me pleased to see that Tor.com is apparently reading slush? Even if those responses are still at the 300+ day mark?

Aggy, working hard

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with Goldfish Grimm, Aggy!

Has anyone else noticed, there's a new thing on Duotrope!

At the bottom of the page for a publication, there's a list of everything I have ever sent them.

It's weird. I just went to a page and there was a list of every rejection they had ever sent me.
Bit depressing, really.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with Goldfish Grimm, Aggy!

Has anyone else noticed, there's a new thing on Duotrope!

At the bottom of the page for a publication, there's a list of everything I have ever sent them.

It's weird. I just went to a page and there was a list of every rejection they had ever sent me.
Bit depressing, really.

I hadn't noticed that, but I checked and you're right. That's kind of... weird. They list the acceptances too, so I guess it's not always all bad.

Aggy, still waiting on things

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
It's your last twelve months worth of submission data to that market :)

Duotrope Twitter said:
Registered users can now see 12 months of their submissions history with any given market directly on the market's listing page.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh well, I suppose it's one more thing to spur me on to get more acceptances :)

If they are doing new features, I'd like to see a graph instead of the pending response stats.
I bet they could do that easy.

I can't see a suggestion box, though, or I'd suggest it.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I participated in a challenge to conceive of, plan out and write a 2k+ story in one weekend. Doing so is probably not a big deal to many of you, but I'm an incredibly slow writer who finds completing a flash story in a weekend to be a challenge... So I was very proud of myself for managing a 2200 word story in two days. It might even be half-decent!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Cheers!

Done it!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They replied!!!
They said 'Thank you for the suggestion' :D

So if you ever see a graph of pending responses, it was my idea!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Another one out on submission. And it starts all over again. I have only been doing write1/sub1 (weekly) for two weeks. Does it get easier? I have no idea what I am going to write next, but I don't have too much time to figure it out.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
They replied!!!
They said 'Thank you for the suggestion' :D

So if you ever see a graph of pending responses, it was my idea!
Yay! Hopefully they'll implement it, it's a neat idea. :)

Another one out on submission. And it starts all over again. I have only been doing write1/sub1 (weekly) for two weeks. Does it get easier? I have no idea what I am going to write next, but I don't have too much time to figure it out.
I opt for the monthly challenge so I don't have that sort of pressure. I like being able to write when inspiration hits, or finishing up a story that I've figured out how to continue. Maybe you could try monthly if you're having trouble with the weekly challenge.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Hopefully they'll implement it, it's a neat idea. :)

I opt for the monthly challenge so I don't have that sort of pressure. I like being able to write when inspiration hits, or finishing up a story that I've figured out how to continue. Maybe you could try monthly if you're having trouble with the weekly challenge.

I'm going to push through it. I think it's kind of a rush.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I need to get drafting my February story. I have my idea down, but I need to get the actual writing done.

In other news...crickets. Crickets! I'm at 24 days with a story at Ideomancer, and I'm starting to get antsy. And then 14 days at Apex, which I wouldn't normally be antsy about other than they're showing super fast responses on Duotrope in the past couple weeks.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Lately Apex has reminded me of the grim reaper. It doesn't matter if a story's been there for a year or a week, five days or fifty, if it's good or bad, long or short, in the end it will still meet the same fate as all it's brothers and sisters: a form rejection.

That said, good luck goldmund! I have a story that's been there for 19 days, and I'm just being pessimistic because I'm waiting for the axe to fall :chair