Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched a video with two scientists talking to one another about astronomy. Smart men talking in jargon turns me on.

That doesn't make me weird or anything, right?

Tifferbugz

Doing Pirate things...
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had carolers come to my house.

Ever.

Then again, if they don't call ahead, I'm probably not answering the door anyway. :gone:

I've never had them either. And I've lived in the country and the city. I probably wouldn't answer my door either. :)

*picks you up and dusts you off*

It'll also be available in paperback if you don't get one by then. :)

I'm SO excited for this book. :D

Just watched a video with two scientists talking to one another about astronomy. Smart men talking in jargon turns me on.

That doesn't make me weird or anything, right?

Nope!

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Gary. The only good use for carolers? TARGET PRACTICE!!!

o_O...But, I like carols. They're my favorite form of christian music. I think you're just jaded because your church is sans voices.

O_O?! That is just friggin' crazy.

Agreed.

*tips hat to all as he strides in and sits down*

Evenin' all.

Hey, good news. I figured out why it takes me so long to get through George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire books (yes, I'm reading the 2nd one even though I said I wouldn't). And no, it's not because they're long.

It's because I just don't like being inside certain characters' heads. Primary offenders for this are Sansa and Catelyn. Not that I don't like the characters (I actually do like Catelyn... not fond of Sansa, to be honest), I'm just not that keen on hearing the story through their perspectives.

So... that's what I did with my day. What y'all been up to?

Ok, so I'll be honest. I've never started them. I love the show but anything that looks like Tolstoy gives me hives. Is it honestly worth it?

With all the talk of carols and the loathing there in I shall step up and speak for them. I love Choirs, I love Carols. They are the only way I feel in the Christmas mood. Screw the tree, screw the presents, give me carols and I'm a weepy, happy, some what sad, fat man.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
o_O...But, I like carols. They're my favorite form of christian music. I think you're just jaded because your church is sans voices.

With all the talk of carols and the loathing there in I shall step up and speak for them. I love Choirs, I love Carols. They are the only way I feel in the Christmas mood. Screw the tree, screw the presents, give me carols and I'm a weepy, happy, some what sad, fat man.

I love choirs, John. I even love Christian music. The Requiem Mass, Christ on the Mount of Olives, you name it, I'm good. But not Christmas music. And you can't blame it on the Presbyterians, because I felt that way when I was a little kid.

Nothing puts me in the mood for Christmas. I dig the food and all the candy. I used to enjoy cooking all evening with my sister.....

Yeah, that pretty much covers it. Even getting presents depresses me. All told, I much prefer Halloween.

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Don't diss Tolstoy. His books are the only classical lit I read and actually like.

I'm not dissing him, I'm afraid of him.

I love choirs, John. I even love Christian music. The Requiem Mass, Christ on the Mount of Olives, you name it, I'm good. But not Christmas music. And you can't blame it on the Presbyterians, because I felt that way when I was a little kid.

Nothing puts me in the mood for Christmas. I dig the food and all the candy. I used to enjoy cooking all evening with my sister.....

Yeah, that pretty much covers it. Even getting presents depresses me. All told, I much prefer Halloween.

I didn't say you didn't like choirs or Christian music. I just don't understand how you don't like Christmas music.

Christmas in general I don't care for. I don't like the commercialized season. I don't like to think to show my love I have to gift everyone I know with something. That stuff depresses me. However, when I sit back and listen to the music and remember why I should be celebrating Christmas I am filled with joy and sorrow. Joy that this is the time that is considered to be the traditional, although not actual, time of my Savious birth. I am filled with sorrow at my many failings. I am overrun with hope that I can lead a better life by understanding the lessons that are tought by the baby born to set us free.

Mind you I know several of you here practice different reasons for this season so please do not take my words as preaching. I in no way want I am saying to be misconstrued as me telling anyone what they should believe. What I am alluding to is that regardless of the reason why we choose to celebrate this time of year it all boils down to one thing. Hope! And carols, to me, are the songs of hope for those of us who are Christians.

Sorry. I'll go now. :gone:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
well, she's an atheist redheaded feminist with a live in boyfriend, so some people think she's the devil incarnate. She has her downsides and upsides, IMO, like any polictian.

But, really, if you look at that list, we do like to get all the 'firsts' done at once. First woman pm, first atheist pm, first unmarried pm, first redhead pm.

Isn't she also childless by choice? Some of the recent controversies seemed (from over here in the UK) had to do with that.

We did the female PM thing in the 70s with Margaret Thatcher. I'll say no more than that she's a divisive figure to say the least.

What is it with major politicians having to be seen to be married? At least two UK politicians (William Hague, Ed Miliband) married their longterm partners shortly after becoming party leaders. And the last unmarried PM we had was Edward Heath in the early 1970s.

I think there's only been one unmarried US president, James Buchanan IIRC

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Morning :Sun:

I am still half asleep and wishing I was in bed. Obviously I'm not.

The microbes are on the comeback trail. I'm fearing a 'greatest hits' collection, so I think I'll be taking it easy today if I can.

:Coffee:

Hey Sian, other than War and Peace, what do you recommend on the Tolstoy list (yes, yes, let's add to the TBR pile, it's only four miles high)

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Isn't she also childless by choice? Some of the recent controversies seemed (from over here in the UK) had to do with that.

We did the female PM thing in the 70s with Margaret Thatcher. I'll say no more than that she's a divisive figure to say the least.

What is it with major politicians having to be seen to be married? At least two UK politicians (William Hague, Ed Miliband) married their longterm partners shortly after becoming party leaders. And the last unmarried PM we had was Edward Heath in the early 1970s.

I think there's only been one unmarried US president, James Buchanan IIRC

This is long, skip if you have no interest in aus politics (which will be most of you, I'm sure :p)

Not really. If it does come up at all, it's generally a matter of interpretation. The paternity bonus was up for discussion because the pay out used to be 5000 for each child, and it's now slightly less for each subsequent child. The opposition leader made a comment about the PM not knowing what it was like to have kids, and thus not being able to understand the needs of australian families *in this particular case*

Given they were talking about babies, I can see what he meant, but he didn't phrase all that well

About six years ago (well before she was anywhere near the top spot) she was photographed in her kitchen with an empty fruit bowl, and a liberal (our tories/repubs) politician said she had a barren womb because her fruit bowl and her life must therefore be barren.

But I think that was the last major thing by an actual politician. Radio presenters are another matter.

Morning :Sun:

I am still half asleep and wishing I was in bed. Obviously I'm not.

The microbes are on the comeback trail. I'm fearing a 'greatest hits' collection, so I think I'll be taking it easy today if I can.

:Coffee:

Hey Sian, other than War and Peace, what do you recommend on the Tolstoy list (yes, yes, let's add to the TBR pile, it's only four miles high)

Anna Karenina. Definitely.

The thing I like about tolstoy is that he's very good at characters. He focuses on what they're doing and their motivations more than anything else. Less of the massive descriptions that often come with the territory in classics.

Also, his books cover such a long time period and so much happens that you can start out initially liking a character, then calling them an idiot, then despising them, then liking them again. It keeps one entertained.

There was one particular boy in War and Peace that was like this. I can't remember the characters name, but when I first met him he was in his early teens and running around behind closed doors with one of the young girls at the first dinner party. The last time I met him was just after he'd helped another character on his way to death, and about 10-15 years had passed.

It's what keeps such long books from being boring. Everyone changes, so you can never be sure if you're going to feel the same about everyone by the end, or how situations are going to work out.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Also - Eyeblink: On Julia Gillard, no matter what she does, the way she is perceived will always be influenced by how she came to power. The factions within the party that was in charge at the time literally decided that due to the polls, they didn't want Kevin Rudd as PM anymore. The party took a vote, and the next morning the Vice PM was the PM.

That was another first. It's happened when the party has been in opposition before, on both sides. But never with an incumbent PM. It meant that for the second half of the political term the PM wasn't the one that the public had thought they were getting when they voted.

That was a massive thing. Some people felt it was underhanded and undemocratic. But at the end of it all, it's parties that you vote for here, not the leader of the party, like in the US. Thus, if the party changes it's mind about who runs it halfway through, then there's nothing to be done about it. She got Voted in when labor won their second term (with a hung parliament, no less)

It was definitely an interesting time for politics.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
I think my motivational mojo has moved on. I seem to be so good at wasting Tuesday morning *berates self for lack of industriousness*

Is baking pizza again - I hope you folks aren't expecting this on Christmas day. Is there a turkey pizza? Not that I would eat it being vegetarian, but I feel the need to ask.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Brainy is the new sexy.

That's almost a line from Buffy... :D

I've spent the morning going through the goodies I picked up yesterday, and I noticed that a lot of the stuff I was really excited about finally having is a bit... crap. The stuff I was "meh" about before, on the other hand, is rather good. This is going to be a long day.

*checks To Do list*

A very, very long day...

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Well, carolers could fall into 2 groups - those that, uh, shouldn't sing ever, and groups actually trained. Like D1sneyland has professional singers going around as Victorian carolers every Christmas.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Turkey pizza could be done. But more importantly we need to know what happened on Thanksgiving in AtCTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.