Authors similar to Gillian Flynn

OneTime

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished all her books and I was really impressed.

I tend not to like genre fiction, but she was outstanding.

I'm currently reading the latest collection from one of the most lauded lit writers around (awards not sales) and find it bland and cliche. Maybe two lines that were really inspired.

I read read Reconstructing Amelia based on lots of people comparing it to Flynn, but did not care for it as much. Was good, but I was expecting much more.

Any suggestions on writers like Flynn?

The last time I liked a genre book as much as hers was Mystic River.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gillian and I are friends on Facebook. I'm sure she would appreciate your comments.

I don't have a strong recommendation for you. Maybe If I Stay by Gayle Forman.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Gillian Flynn's books are wonderful.

I read The Silent Wife by A S Harrison soon after I read Gone Girl, and thought it very good; I liked Apple Tree Yard too, but a good friend of mine wasn't so keen; and of course, Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson, which did have a couple of miniscule plot-holes but was still fab.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Just finished all her books and I was really impressed.

Any suggestions on writers like Flynn?

The last time I liked a genre book as much as hers was Mystic River.

Perhaps Megan Abbott? She does a lot of the same sort of dark-side-of-girlhood/womanhood stuff that Flynn does.

My kobo suggested Lauren Beukes to me after reading Flynn. Her stuff is more supernatural in content - serial killers who can jump through time etc - but both The Shining Girls, and her new one Broken Monsters have that same sort of tone.

Last edited:

mfoley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In case you're still searching for similar authors, I'd suggest to you the man who introduced Gillian Flynn to me: Marcus Sakey. He has recently changed genres to sci-fi (with astonishing success), but his first handful of novels are everything that's right with crime fiction: The Blade Itself; Accelerant (previously titled At the City's Edge); Good People; The Amateurs; The Two Deaths of Daniel Hayes. They all come highly recommended.

Subterranean

Registered
Reaction score
I'd give Liz Jensen and Patricia Highsmith a try, but I agree, Flynn is quite the outstanding writer.

LostGurl

Registered
Reaction score
Chelsea Cain's Gretchen Lowell series reminds me of Flynn in terms of general darkness and a female villain. A few of the middle books get redundant but I was reinvested toward the end. The books in order are:
Heartsick, Sweetheart, Evil At Heart, The Night Season, Kill You Twice , and Let Me Go .

Chevy Stevens is similar in terms of subject matter and tone, though I find that Flynn is more skillful. However, Still Missing, Never Knowing, Always Watching, and That Night are certainly worth a look.

Last edited:

Booklover199

Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't read The Girl on a Train by Paula Hawkins you should give it a try. It's got a very similar vibe as Gillian Flynn's novels. I was in the book store and I saw a sign that said "If you like Gone Girl, Try This" and The Girl on a Train was there, so I was like, okay I'll try.

BeesKnees

Registered
Reaction score
I think We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver is worth checking out. I really enjoyed it, and I think it has some similarities in exploring flawed and complex women.