How short is too short

CharleeBeck

Registered
Reaction score
What tends to sell better, multiple one-scene stories for super cheap (and then like novel-length collections of them for slightly under novel price) or longer stories for normal novel-length price. I'm talking about just like, e-publishing on my own.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
CharleeBeck,

I would say that it depends on your audience, sub-genre, and price. Personally, my erotica anthologies sell more than my poetry. However, I try to keep my book prices between 1.99 to 5.99.

CharleeBeck

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input :)

I started trying to write shorts of about 10k words, but found myself getting bored really quickly/everything that wasnt sex felt like filler. I feel like If I make them shorter (2k words a pop, like setup, sex scene, closure) I may turn off the more plot-based crowd, but attract more of the pay-and-wank audience.

Jacob_Wallace

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to write multiple pay and wank stories, I'd say 3k is the minimum. You have to keep doing it to make reliable money though, since such stories typically lose their audience in about a month.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I've a friend who writes in that market - this person says short, non-series stories plateau around 45 days. Backlist sales happen, but it's the new stuff that drives reader loyalty. Such as that is. Series or otherwise linked stories seem to have more individual staying power.

Mellow

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to write multiple pay and wank stories, I'd say 3k is the minimum. You have to keep doing it to make reliable money though, since such stories typically lose their audience in about a month.

Yep, I agree with this statement.

Also, amazon started pulling titles under 2500 words citing poor customer experience or something to that effect.

So I'd say 3k to 4k would be the shortest length to aim for if you're planning on whipping out a lot of them. Also put the word count in your blurb or somewhere where readers will see it before buying the story, that should minimize complaints on length (or lack thereof)