Song suggestions for music while writing?

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
For those that listen to music while you write, what songs help you or would you suggest to other writers?

General songs, or songs specific to a certain feel/scene/story are helpful (more romantic songs vs. more hard and harsh or lewd scenes, etc).

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
General songs, or songs specific to a certain feel/scene/story are helpful (more romantic songs vs. more hard and harsh or lewd scenes, etc).

I'm a dead silence kind of guy, or else the white noise background of a coffee shop.

The music is in my head: screams of pain, squishy sex sounds, hushed conversation.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
As a rule, I don't listen to music when I write. But I did recently with I think good results. I didn't pick the tunes, or the artists, they just happened to be next up on the station and really fit with the scene, which was a seduction scene, by the way. I'd say it would depend on the setting and the characters in your story. If it's a period thing from the forties, I don't think you'd want to be listening to rock 'n roll.

For me, the Motown stuff is very romantic, some of the jazz stuff too, the slower, moodier stuff maybe. You could try Stan Getz if you go that way.

One of the sexiest tunes, I think, is Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to a lot of instrumental music while I'm writing, if anything at all. Lately, it's been relaxing Celtic music on Youtube. :)

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Songs--as in music with words--will interfere with word flow (and choice) of your own. Music scores from movies are good but there again they may not fit the mood--though if they do, then they are fine. Still, silence or white noise is better because then it's just you and your thoughts.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I'm all over the place. I listen to what makes the scene flow, that could be Lorde, Nine Inch Nails, Modestep, or Meditation music. If you check out my profile on Spotify you can take a look at the weirdness of my musical choices.

PS- I grew up in a family of seven kids and have three little boys. I can't write in silence because it's become unnatural to me. I notice silence, not noise, because silence with little boys=trouble. ;)

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I can't write in silence because it's become unnatural to me. I notice silence, not noise, because silence with little boys=trouble. ;)

QFT. Add big boys, too. I generally have music on to block out the TV/dogs/other music in the house/guys yelling while playing video games. It's active around here...

I have a playlist to get me in the mood for writing erotic scenes, but I don't play it specifically while writing, more while thinking about writing. Includes NIN, Meg Meyers, Curumin...also some Spanish guitar, which I find very sensual.

Reformed Gypsy

Registered
Reaction score
If I'm writing something dark, I want Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine inspired story plots.
Led Zeppelin, Kashmir (going really old school)
Sarah MacLachlin for sweet or sad
Halestorm, just because they rock lol

Gyps

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually do silence, but when I need to muffle sounds, I use a mix of light classical, mostly Bach, and various New Age artists, some with crossover appeal, like Jean-Luc Ponty or Phillip Glass, both of whose names I may have misspelled.

Maryn, pretty sure she got Bach right

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
I find anything with lyrics to be too distracting, so I usually opt for classical or film scores (not like, Lord of the Rings or anything too epic). There's at least one playlist on Youtube that features songs from the "Gone Girl" movie soundtrack which both mellows me and keeps me focused...somehow. It's magic. I also found an instrumental "video" of Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral album, plus someone playing various Tori Amos songs on the piano. It really depends on the individual scene or story, but something that feels sexy to me might not feel sexy to you and vice versa. Experiment!

AphraB

A faithful friend & a good library
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do plot to music, though.

There's an ideal. Like ... Beethoven? Or Vivaldi! The Four Seasons "Summer" section has an urgency that might promote plotting.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Wait! *duh* You posted this in the erotica area, do you need some kind of sexy music suggestions? Like "bow-chicka-wow-wow". :D

I used to listen to old Usher songs a lot, as well as different R&B from the 90's.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
elindsen, both our daughters are like that. They can play music (and usually do) while they're reading heavy material, doing lesson plans, problem-solving, writing papers, grading, all activities which take a great deal of their attention. Yet some parts of their brains hear the music, too.

I've tried writing to music many times, but usually I either find it distracts me a bit, or once I get going I don't hear it at all, which is weird.

Maryn, weird in other ways, too, no doubt

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
What's weird is I don't even have to be listening to mood music. I can write a sex scene while listening to Eminem, or I can write a violent scene with Celine. Most of the time I listen to anime openings (not sure why). Sad thing I know the lyrics but not what they mean :/

badwolf.usmc

#CustomUserTitle
Registered
Reaction score
I have created several pandora stations, each one has music that sets me in the mood of the story that i am curently working on.

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
Turning on Depeche Mode always seems to help me when writing sexy words. I listened to a lot of Florence and the Machine for my first MS.