Editing, the infinite loop

Reformed Gypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Is there a trick to stop editing and revising? I think I'm satisfied and intend to proofread only and end up making more changes.

Gypsy

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I had that problem with the first one - it can be endless.

This time I've said, that's enough - it's perfectly imperfect.

Generalbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to limit my editing to a strict pattern or I do the same thing. I edit on the computer once, then print it up and edit that version. Then I print it up one more time and read it aloud.

At that point if I'm missing any typos, or still have any clunky sentences, they're just going to have to stay in there. Lol

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a trick to stop editing and revising? I think I'm satisfied and intend to proofread only and end up making more changes.

I solved this problem by keeping an up to date printed copy of my WIP next to the computer. Any changes I want to make, I mark into this copy. Then later, I can go through and make all the changes at once. This scratches the itch to keep looking my stuff over all the time.

Sometimes, though, a large change will gnaw at me until I have to something about it. This doesn't happen as often as it used to.

FLChicken

Registered
Reaction score
I've been editing for 5 months, so who knows what help I am. I read it a few times, would put it a way for awhile. After a few beta readers took a stab at it, I would revisit again. Reading it on different formats helped me to catch things as well. I ended with a full reading out loud and caught things I missed that seemed so obvious suddenly. I finally stopped editing when I gave it to my editor! But of course I will give it another final read through before submitting for query.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
What is working for me right now is writing first draft all the way through, on my desktop. Then, another two or three rounds of edits to add layers, texture or fix the structural issues. I rest the ms for a week, and then I print it out and go through it on paper. I make the changes on the draft, then read it through on my Kindle, with the old print out and a differently coloured pen to mark any new edits. After that, another rest for a week or so, then a read through and it's off to my Beta Readers. They read it on Track Changes, send it back with comments and I edit--or not--and then have a final read. Then it's off on submissions, else I tweak ad infinitum.

Thing is, no matter how many rounds of self-edits, the ms will have anohter 5 or 6 during the production process, so these days I make sure not to exceed the above--unless I've had a WTF, how on earth did I write THAT in there? moment.