Photographs or Not?

HannahJensen

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I have what is probably a silly question but I would welcome thoughts.

I am working on what originally started as a sort of journal/diary giving accounts of various experiences my husband and I have had over the last few years.

As it happens my husband is a very keen amateur photographer and he has taken photographs on nearly all of those occasions that I intended to cover in this journal/diary.

The problem is that I have ended up turning the book into a sort of autobiographical account rather than an outright diary -- basically I didn't think I had enough material for a diary.

Maybe someone could throw some light on the difference between a diary and autobiography but my working assumption is that a diary is written strictly at the time (contemporary) whereas an autobiography is more loosely based on memory etc.

My original plan, which is probably up in the air now, was to include photographs with each story, if that makes sense. I contacted many of the people who were in the photographs and near all of them wanted their faces blurred but that's another story and we decided to obscure identities across the board anyway.

Anyway, I was wondering if you people thought it would be good or bad to include photographs with what has turned out to be more of a autobiographical thing rather than a diary as such. In the early stages I intended to even include emails from various people who contacted us but it seems like if I do all that now it might appear that I am making things up or something and that's what worries me about the pictures too.

I think all of that material would make more sense in a dairy so that you could see how we first met the people through email and initial conversations and then see pictures of them in the flesh so to speak. Does it still make sense now?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw this question yesterday but didn't reply because I needed time to mull it over.

What you're asking comes down to whether readers would want to see your story illustrated with photographs of the players and events, mostly with their faces blurred. They're real people, not models.

For me, the answer is a definitive no. If I want to see erotica photographs, I'll seek pictures or video in which I can see everything, including faces.

The job of the erotica writer is to create the images in the readers' minds. I doubt adding blurred-face photos could possibly enhance the work.

Maryn, whose opinion is, of course, not the only one

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Photographs that are even slightly explicit will immediately lock you out of many, if not most, book retailers.

HannahJensen

Registered
Reaction score
Well, thanks for the replies, Maryn and veinglory.

The reasoning behind the photographs initially was that they would sort of help bring authenticity to our story. Whenever I have discussed this with people, they are interested in the photographs and the fact that we are real people makes it more interesting to them.

For me it has also been useful to look at them and remember things that I would have otherwise forgotten.

Funnily enough, one of the things I often asked people throughout the years when they asked for photographs in email etc. was "why don't you go look at pics of women on the Internet if that's what you are interested in"?

I think no matter how dedicated you are to the written word, pictures and photos can bring something useful to a story but I am most likely going to abandon the idea.

Without being too revealing, I would also say that a lot of people find the pictures very erotic too, of course, but maybe they are just saying that to try and impress me since I am in most of them.

As for whether they would be allowed inside the pages, I have been told that Amazon would have no problem beyond the usual rules about sexual content.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
Don't forget the upload cost. Amazon delivery charges increase as your book gets bigger and nothing beefs up a books digital size like images. I know someone who did an 'illustrated' romance and was charged over a dollar upload per book.