pitch fests

ErikHarshman

Registered
Reaction score
So... I am thinking of attending the Great American Pitchfest (GAPF) this year in Burbank.

Any thoughts?

Is it a scam?

Will anything productive come out of it?

I've heard, if nothing else, I'll get to hone and refine my skills in pitching. I've also heard that no significant sales come out of pitchfests.

Anyhow, GAPF looks good, but also a bit rinky-dink (their website, testimonials, etc.).

Fade In's Hollywood Pitch Festival looks even better and a bit more professional, well-attended and more productive (they have actual sales to major studios listed).

Thoughts...???

Experiences????

Testimonials to share...???

creativexec

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I believe you've answered your own question.

If you think you're going to sell your pitch at a pitchfest, you're wasting your money.

First of all, your pitch/story isn't good enough to sell. Secondly, there won't be anyone listening to pitches important enough there to buy anything.

The best thing you can hope for is that someone will offer to read your script and you win a fan in the industry as a result. At the least, it's a learning experience tantamount to taking an extension class at your local college.

If you're not strapped for cash, it could be fun and educational. But don't expect anything more.

G.G. Rebimik

Write? I can barely read...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ggrebimik.blogspot.com
I believe you've answered your own question.

If you think you're going to sell your pitch at a pitchfest, you're wasting your money.

First of all, your pitch/story isn't good enough to sell. Secondly, there won't be anyone listening to pitches important enough there to buy anything.

The best thing you can hope for is that someone will offer to read your script and you win a fan in the industry as a result. At the least, it's a learning experience tantamount to taking an extension class at your local college.

If you're not strapped for cash, it could be fun and educational. But don't expect anything more.

Well said!

Kevin_C_Vang

Banned
Reaction score
So... I am thinking of attending the Great American Pitchfest (GAPF) this year in Burbank.

Any thoughts?

Is it a scam?

Will anything productive come out of it?

I've heard, if nothing else, I'll get to hone and refine my skills in pitching. I've also heard that no significant sales come out of pitchfests.

Anyhow, GAPF looks good, but also a bit rinky-dink (their website, testimonials, etc.).

Fade In's Hollywood Pitch Festival looks even better and a bit more professional, well-attended and more productive (they have actual sales to major studios listed).

Thoughts...???

Experiences????

Testimonials to share...???
RULE NUMBER ONE: NEVER PITCH YOUR IDEAS BECAUSE THEY WILL STEAL THEM FROM YOU! My brothers pitched the new Power Rangers movie and guess what? The idea got stolen and they never called them again. THE END! If I am you, you don't need to pitch your ideas to a big company because they are a bigger fish than you. I suggest you take what Vito Corleone has said to Sonny. "Keep your mouth shut so that nobody knows what you're thinking."

Pitching is a BAD IDEA! TRUST ME!