Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Fiction, for me :)

Fragment, by Warren Fahy (never read him before, so we'll see what he's like--plus, only $5 NZ)
The Five Greatest Warriors, by Matthew Reilly (hardback for $11! w00t)
The New Space Opera 2, edited by Gardner Dozoi and Jonathan Strahan (short fiction, also $5)

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The New Space Opera 2, edited by Gardner Dozoi and Jonathan Strahan (short fiction, also $5)
Among what I'm supposed to be ordering tonight, is The Star Wars Visual Dictionary. :roll: That's about as close as I can get to you there.

ETA: :eek: Never mind. It's $22! Not happening.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Among what I'm supposed to be ordering tonight, is The Star Wars Visual Dictionary. :roll: That's about as close as I can get to you there.
That'll be great reading, i can assure you :D

Keep that young fellah reading. Hopefully soon he'll graduate from HP onto good books :D *ducks and runs*

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I think I'm a swooper.

Oooh, count me firmly in the swooper camp too, especially if there's a camp for swoopers who are really bad at avoiding the occasional plate glass window.

(BAM! Dead stop. Shakes head. Looks around. Where was I?)

-Suzanne

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: I don't seem to have problems with windows. Though there was that one instance with a low hanging chandelier...

But I won't bore anyone :D

Actually, I've never read Harry Potter. I started and didn't get past the first few pages. Didn't hold my interest. But I have always wondered why people either seem to really like, or really NOT like them. :Shrug:

Last edited:

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
My kids are currently listening to Harry Potter again.

But bedtime book before this was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. All three books of LotR before that.

We warp them young round here. :)

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
We warp them young round here. :)

I knew early on that I had doomed my children to a life of geekiness. When my eldest was three or so, we used to play a game called "I've got a secret", which went roughly like this:

Me: I've got a secret
Kid: What is it?
Me: I love you!

Now, repeat that several hundred times a day, and you can see where, eventually, one might be tempted to come up with new, different secrets.

One day I arrived at Eldest's daycare and she didn't see me walk in the door, so I watched as she walked up to another kid and said:

My kid: I've got a secret
Other kid: What is it?
My kid: Soylent green is people!

Yep, doomed.

-Suzanne, digressing again

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
One day I arrived at Eldest's daycare and she didn't see me walk in the door, so I watched as she walked up to another kid and said:

My kid: I've got a secret
Other kid: What is it?
My kid: Soylent green is people!

Yep, doomed.

-Suzanne, digressing again

Awesome!

Mine have moved on to creating spreadsheets for monster attributes. My husband finally gave in and dug up his old D&D manuals for them.

Doomed, indeed.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Mine have moved on to creating spreadsheets for monster attributes. My husband finally gave in and dug up his old D&D manuals for them.

I still have the full set, though they've not seen use in a couple of decades now. Maybe some day...

My eldest isn't much of a reader, which I find enormously challenging to cope with -- nothing like having a house with nearly 6,000 books in it and a kid who hates reading to make you feel like you've failed horribly as a parent. There are a very few things she likes (Pokemon, sigh) so I indulge those as best I can and keep hoping one of these days she'll suddenly really discover the joy of books. Her friends are all reading HP and she keeps saying she's going to read them herself "soon", but so far I've not seen any sign of movement towards actually doing so. )-: My younger two are completely enthralled by books, to my enormous relief.

-Suzanne

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My eldest isn't much of a reader, which I find enormously challenging to cope with -- nothing like having a house with nearly 6,000 books in it and a kid who hates reading to make you feel like you've failed horribly as a parent. There are a very few things she likes (Pokemon, sigh) so I indulge those as best I can and keep hoping one of these days she'll suddenly really discover the joy of books. Her friends are all reading HP and she keeps saying she's going to read them herself "soon", but so far I've not seen any sign of movement towards actually doing so. )-: My younger two are completely enthralled by books, to my enormous relief.

-Suzanne

My son didn't really get into reading on his own until fairly recently. Both he and my daughter love being read to, but when he was very young he hated all fiction. Well, not all fiction. He loved Thomas the Tank Engine beyond all reason. Anything else had to come from an encyclopedia.

Anyway, something clicked at some point and he dove in. My daughter...not sure she will ever be as much of a reader. I don't think reverence for books necessarily translates to all offspring (Why! Why is this so!!), but at least they will always have that door open and waiting.

It floored me when I first discovered that my kids would not actually love everything I did. :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Oi. So this morning my father-in-law passed away. He was 84 and had a great life, etc. But things will be crazy around here for a while. If anyone starts to wonder where I've toddled off to*... Just dealing with family drama.

*Not that any of you would probably worry, but I like to keep my bases covered.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Actually, I've never read Harry Potter. I started and didn't get past the first few pages. Didn't hold my interest. But I have always wondered why people either seem to really like, or really NOT like them. :Shrug:
I'm one of the rare ambivalent ones, then. I started reading them as a teenager, and I was just "Meh". I thought they were well-written and I read the first two or three, but I wasn't intrigued enough to read the whole series.

I must be broken. Seriously, given how drawn in everyone else was by the HP series... I wish I knew why they didn't hold my attention that well.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oi. So this morning my father-in-law passed away. He was 84 and had a great life, etc. But things will be crazy around here for a while. If anyone starts to wonder where I've toddled off to*... Just dealing with family drama.

*Not that any of you would probably worry, but I like to keep my bases covered.

Sorry to hear that, Aggy. :Hug2:

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
My condolences, Aggy. Be sure and take good care of yourself during this stressful time.

Shelley

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
That's awful, Aggy. Know that people here are thinking of you.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oi. So this morning my father-in-law passed away. He was 84 and had a great life, etc.
:( Aggy, I'm sorry.

I must be broken. Seriously, given how drawn in everyone else was by the HP series... I wish I knew why they didn't hold my attention that well.
That's kinda how I feel, broken. We even own all the movies, too. And I can't get into them either. :Shrug:

sisco

Nothing clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsisco.com
I'm sorry to hear that Aggy. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I read all the Harry Potter books. The last two somewhat grudgingly after I got really disgusted with the fifth one. When Cedric died in the fourth book I cried. When Sirius died in the fifth book I was pissed because Rowling managed to make me not care if he was dead or not. Ugh.

The sixth book was okay. Seventh would have been fine if they hadn't spent so much fucking time in that damn tent. Trying to make the story stretch out into a full year was a mistake, IMNSHO.

Thank you to everyone for the wishes of sympathy. My hubby's family is doing pretty well, all things considered, but there are a lot of difficult decisions to be made in the coming weeks. (And a funeral to plan over Easter weekend.)

Naturally I have an itch to write since that's my comfort mechanism, but I don't really have the time. >_< In the meantime, I have Applesauce Spice cake to make and errands to run.

Aggy, reminding herself the writing can wait