What are you reading?

wrombola

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wrombola.wix.com
The Historian by Elizibeth Kostova

It's a vampire mystery, history lesson, and guide to European cuisine all wrapped into one cozy 650 pages of small type. Some people disliked the long sections of letter reading which I can understand. After all how much drama can you have when you know the person survived to write the letter.
One thing I will say about the author, she has a talent for describing exotic people and places that far exceeds my own. My biggest problem with the novel was the time devoted to describing meals. I swear, it seemed like the protagonist was constantly sitting down to a meal. Very realistic, and in the context of the story it works since it gives the characters a chance for relaxed dialogue.

ejaycee

knows nothing of your ruined garden
Registered
Reaction score
Snowcrash, by Neal Stephenson.

Incredible that he wrote when the internet barely existed. And all those new words fit in so well I find myself using them in everyday conversation. :D

Plus, the MCs name always makes me giggle.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Death Most Definite by Trent Jamieson. Seems it's his first novel and I only picked it up by accident. I'm glad I did though as it's a fun read.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
I'm about to start reading The Princess Bride. My American friends are all going "You've never read it before?! What are you, from Mars?" and my British friends are going "Yeah, I think I've heard of that. Wasn't there a film?"

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I know, I am like the last person to read it. Ha dit on my TBR pile for years (with a hundred other books), and saw it at the library and decided to finally pick it up. A day later and I am almost done with it. Really enjoying it!

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Started The Surgeon by Tess Gerritsen this afternoon and I'm almost finished with it. I've seen the previews for the TV show several times but I didn't realize it was a book series until I was browsing and saw it on a bestseller list. The male vs. female thing is irritating but aside from that it's well worth the read, imo. It's amazing in a really horrifying sort of way. Definitely not for the squeamish. >_>

wrombola

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wrombola.wix.com
Frankenstein-Lost Souls, Dean Koontz

Just started it and I am already impressed by the pacing and his descriptive abilities. Nothing too elaborate but I can see why he is successful.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"Marry Me" by John Updike

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
The Black Echo by Michael Connelly.

Not the sort of thing I normally read. But I was having a yard sale this weekend (I'll rant/whine about that in another thread) and it was the only book I didn't have for sale, so I thought I'd try re-reading it. The first time I read it was a few years ago, before I started writing and/or found AW.

Talk about telling rather than showing! And some of the dialogue was so stiff and unrealistic, I am amazed that he was so popular.

I'm not complaining - as I recall from the first read, it was entertaining enough, but now that I view it with a more critical eye (thanks to what I've learned here at AW) I can't help but feel a bit more confident about my own writing in comparison (not that I have the cahones to post anything in SYW...yet).

Paperback Writer

Learning the craft
Registered
Reaction score
It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60'
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I know, I am like the last person to read it. Ha dit on my TBR pile for years (with a hundred other books), and saw it at the library and decided to finally pick it up. A day later and I am almost done with it. Really enjoying it!

Nope not at all, I just got it yesterday and I read the first chapter at the bookstore. Then I closed the book and looked to my right and guess what? Another girl was reading the beginning too!

LordMoogi

Purveyor of Oddments and Fantasies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
moogi-constructivecynicism.blogspot.com
I'm working on Soulless by Gail Carriger, which has to be the most entertaining vampire book I've ever read (not the best, mind, but certainly the funniest). I've also been reading bits of The Hero with a Thousand Faces- Joseph Cambell's ideas have been a major influence on me for years, so now I'm finally reading the book that started it all. After that, I've got Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five (a present from my lady friend) and Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi: Allies to read. I'm a HUGE fan of Star Wars books, and this series is really good so far.

I also read all of the first nine volumes of Hellboy in rapid succession and am currently planning on buying the tenth.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Lord of the Rings :)

I love that book, one of my all time favourites. Especially Smeagol :)

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Time's Eye by Arthur C. Clark and Stephen Baxter. I just started reading today, only read 20 pages so far. Can't formulate an opinion by what I've read so far. Later, lol.

Rammstein

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger (Haven't read it before, not kidding)
Cryptonomicon, Neil Stephenson
The Insidious Dr Fu Manchu, Sax Roehmer

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
Nope not at all, I just got it yesterday and I read the first chapter at the bookstore. Then I closed the book and looked to my right and guess what? Another girl was reading the beginning too!

I actually just realized this myself. Finished the book in two days, and thought it was very good. Movie really stuck with the story as well, and that was refreshing. So I went online to put the 2nd book on hold, and there were already several holds on it! Looks like I have to wait to read the next book.

Right now I am reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter, because I adore the show. Not a bad story, some differences though (some good, some not so good IMO).

thewakingself

Plays with fire.
Registered
Reaction score
Drood by Dan Simmons.

Simmons is a great writer, and it should be right up my alley (unreliable narrator! Horror! Victorian England!). Something just isn't clicking for me, though. I keep trying to power through it, but after a week I'm only on page 59--I can usually finish a book this size in less time. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Finished The Sinner, now on Body Double. This series is so strangely addictive. The ever-present masculine vs. feminine thing continues to annoy me to no end but aside from that I find these books so very compelling.