Television drama act structures?

Penelopise

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here familiar with the wonderful (confusing) world of television drama act structures? I get that they're meant to work with commercial breaks, but I'm noticing that there are a few different formats and I'm kind of curious about them from a writing/storytelling POV. So far I've seen and heard of shows which use four-act structure (usually with a teaser), five-act structure (with or without a teaser), and that there may also be a tag at the end (I think usually just with four-acts?).

First, I'm wondering what the main differences would be in using each of these structures. For example, would writing a teaser for a four-act + teaser be significantly different than the first act in a five-act without a teaser? Do specific considerations need to be made for one structure over another, such as scene length or overall pacing?

Second, does anyone know if certain structures tend to be favored by certain networks, or expected in certain genres, or if it just depends on the specific show/writers/producers?

Speculation and discussion is fine, btw. I've just been thinking about this and haven't really found what I'm looking for via Google. I'm also mainly wondering about American TV, but I'd be interested in hearing about how television is structured in other countries, too!