just an observation.....

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
As per suggestions in another post, I went and downloaded the screenplay for one of my all time favorite horror movies, 30 Days of night, to study and break down and so on.

One of the first things I noticed is that the scenes are described in great detail, yet done in only a few sentences loaded with colorful adjectives; and not just normal, run of the mill ones you would use in regular life. So it seems to follow that, for instance, when describing the earth from above, you wouldn't just say "We look at the earth from above." Seems to me like a little more than that is needed to convey the visual you are looking for.

Just my initial observation. I cant wait to do some more reading to get a better handle on how the process works. I do intend to take my first novel, Preacher's Blood, and adapt it for the screen. I have already downloaded CELTX and Trelby as writing programs to use until I am ready to get the heavy duty things like Final Draft.

thanks guys and have a wonderful weekend

Greg

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's worth remembering that a screenwriter with a solid track record of scripts which lead directly to moneymaking movies gets a whole lot of latitude with things like that. Your spec script should continue to be lean, action lines including only the detail which affects plot or character.

Say we're looking at the earth from above. The big blue-and-white marble image is pretty much standard because it's fact-based. Is there something more we need to see--a vast power outage, signs of a volcano, an evil-looking spacecraft in view, anything like that which affects your plot or characters? If not, then don't take on the job of the graphics designer who will create the image which appears on the screen. Stick with your job, telling the story.

Minor point: Among the things I often see as advice to those who write on spec is to kill "We see." We're the audience. The fact that we see something is understood and need not be stated in action lines, even though many excellent screenplays use it. Save the space for more necessary things.

Maryn, who lurks screenwriting sites

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
That script is nearly 10 years old -- styles have changed, and become leaner.

Also, it's based on a successful graphic novel and wasn't done on spec.

Read for fun but unless your novel is a bestseller, focus on current spec scripts for HOW TO.

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Newer Scripts

Okay, guys, thank you. So, then, it in some ways is just like a novel; where they want you to say enough, just enough, to set the scene without bogging the reader down in details that are unnecessary to the story, or in this case, the visual you are trying to create. Just like novels, leaner is better.

I would like to read something closer to today, then. Would someone be able to suggest possibly one action/thriller script and one horror script that I can look at to get a better judge of what today's scripts are like.

thanks again, guys

Greg

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, guys, thank you. So, then, it in some ways is just like a novel; where they want you to say enough, just enough, to set the scene without bogging the reader down in details that are unnecessary to the story, or in this case, the visual you are trying to create. Just like novels, leaner is better.

I would like to read something closer to today, then. Would someone be able to suggest possibly one action/thriller script and one horror script that I can look at to get a better judge of what today's scripts are like.

thanks again, guys

Greg

Aaron Guzikowski's thriller script PRISONERS is a brilliant representative of the contemporary style. Keep in mind, though, it is long at close to 140 pages. You want to stay within 90-110 pages for these genres for a first spec.

As for horror? Find a film released in the last two years that's not a sequel or an adaptation of a novel or graphic novel or anything else. The best ones to look at would be a non-assignment spec, preferably a screenwriter's first sale. There's lots -- it depends on what you're looking for specifically.

Throw up your first couple pages in SYW so we can be specific about formatting.

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
buying scropts

I cant really seem to find any of the ones I would want to use on the free sites, so are there any places you can buy them? I would love to get the one for this movie mentioned above the Prisoners, and I would also like to get my hands on a copy of the script for Godzilla, which is not all that old and would be a decent one for me to read.

Locke

Lost the instruction manual
Registered
Reaction score
This has me curious...

Somebody one recommended I read Snyder's Save the Cat which postulates a very strict three-act story structure that pins down the page (within a page or two) where each beat should happen within the story. If studios are looking for something along the lines of that proven structure, then padding out scene descriptions can be what pushes your midpoint to land neatly on page 55. Sure, it'd be gaming the system, but Hollywood is a silly place.

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
As per suggestions in another post, I went and downloaded the screenplay for one of my all time favorite horror movies, 30 Days of night, to study and break down and so on.

One of the first things I noticed is that the scenes are described in great detail, yet done in only a few sentences loaded with colorful adjectives; and not just normal, run of the mill ones you would use in regular life. So it seems to follow that, for instance, when describing the earth from above, you wouldn't just say "We look at the earth from above." Seems to me like a little more than that is needed to convey the visual you are looking for.

Just my initial observation. I cant wait to do some more reading to get a better handle on how the process works. I do intend to take my first novel, Preacher's Blood, and adapt it for the screen. I have already downloaded CELTX and Trelby as writing programs to use until I am ready to get the heavy duty things like Final Draft.

thanks guys and have a wonderful weekend

Greg

Good observation.

Various working pros, here and elsewhere have cautioned beginners against watering down their distinct voices. Voice is important. It's part of what made Diablo Cody. Part of what made Tarantino. They didn't get where they got by boring the reader, and neither will you.

So lively adjectives are good. Quirky dialog can be good. Unusual scene descriptions can be good. As long as it works. How do you know what works? Taste, judgement, experience.

Basically, anything the pros can do, you can do, as long as you know what you're doing and why. There isn't one standard for pros and one for newbies. If your story and characters are awesome, no one will care if you used unusual adjectives or the occasional camera direction.

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
It's also good to study acting, and learn how actors break down a scene.

Read a play and then see it performed by two different theatres. This shows you what's on the page versus what the actors bring to it.

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
BBCwritersroom is also a very useful resource. As well as Celtx (which the BBC accept) there is also Writersduet which is also free and "serious" scriptwriters are using very happily.

My observation so far is the important thing is to be clear and understood - the amount of description varies greatly from scriptwriter to scriptwriter.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
It's also good to study acting, and learn how actors break down a scene.

Read a play and then see it performed by two different theatres. This shows you what's on the page versus what the actors bring to it.

Seconding this.

The best screenwriting class I ever took was acting. It's especially helpful if you struggle with subtext.

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
ive been searching the web sites listed in the sticky above to find some screenplays to work with, but not really having any luck. It had been suggested to try scripts from the last 2 years or so, but the places I look do not seem to really have anything. I really want to get my hands on a copy of the godzilla 2014 script, the equalizer, and a movie like annabelle, which would give me 3 different things to look at but i am finding no luck whatsoever. anyone have a suggestion? even if not those, does somebody know if one of those sites has some recent stuff and perhaps i have missed it while searching?

thanks all

greg

Usher

Registered
Reaction score

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I'm not sure if screenplays are ever formally released by their owners (i.e. film companies), but they might unofficially find their way onto the 'net via someone in the business who got their hands on a copy. Or fans might produce a transcript that looks pretty much like a screenplay, it's hard to tell sometimes (I knew a guy who did this, he'd watch a movie then write his version of the screenplay, which he said was great practice!). Whichever, you're pretty much at the mercy of the fates when you're trying to find recent screenplays, unless you know someone. When a screenplay emerges it usually pops up on imSdb.

-Derek

Last edited:

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
just downloaded Gone Girl and Nightcrawler, thanks!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You should describe according to need. Some scenes need more detailed description that others. "We see the earth from above" should be written exactly like this, unless something spectacular is in the scene.

No matter who describes it, or how detailed it is, we all know what the earth from above looks like, and it isn't going to change.

I use more detail when a scene needs more detail because it's an unusual scene that no one can easily visualize without detail.

But no one script can teach you much of anything except basic format. Read at least a hundred scripts. Then you'll get the idea.

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score