Star Trek's City on the Edge of Forever original script

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading the original screenplay of City on the Edge of Forever" by Harlan Ellison. I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I just read it for the first time today. I found it much better than what aired on the network, but I do understand why it was changed. It did not have the "usual" Star Trek feel to it which I am sure is what Ellison wanted. It would have made a better Twilight Zone I think. Those who haven't read the original version should do so. It is beautiful.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading the original screenplay of City on the Edge of Forever" by Harlan Ellison. I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I just read it for the first time today. I found it much better than what aired on the network, but I do understand why it was changed. It did not have the "usual" Star Trek feel to it which I am sure is what Ellison wanted. It would have made a better Twilight Zone I think. Those who haven't read the original version should do so. It is beautiful.

I think the version that aired was every bit as good, and maybe better. There's a reason it's the massive favorite of the serious Star Trek episodes, and the one everyone points to when talking about quality.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually split. Overall, as I said in my earlier post, I like the original. But the version that aired made a better "Star Trek" episode. I understand why the producers chose to change it. Both versions did win awards. The original doesn't really have a Star Trek feel to it. The principals of the story don't act in character, which I think was the point Harlan Ellison was trying to make. In the Ellison version Kirk was willing to sacrifice his crew and ship for love. It was actually Beckwith that tires to save Edith, not Kirk. We all know Kirk would never do that.

I do like the Jewels of Sound aspect of the original plot. It is a better explanation than having McCoy accidentally inject himself with a drug and causes him to change time. Lieutenant Richard Beckwith deals in the drug Jewels of Sound which kills a crewmember. As his punishment, the Captain and crew take him to a planet to execute him, but he escapes through throught the time vortex. I like that the Guardians of Forever are a group of nine foot tall aliens and not vortex itself.

It's those things that make it more of a science fiction story to me. Perhaps they could have incorporated the aspects of both stories better.

Last edited: