Should copywriters publish their rates?

Splodge

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone

This is something I've been thinking about a lot recently and would love to know other peoples opinions.

I've read a lot of articles by copywriters about pricing, and some suggest that the top copywriters publish their rates on their website. I've been to a couple of websites whose owners have written about publishing their rates and couldn't find anything, which makes me wonder if publishing their rates didn't work for them. I've never found a website that lists rates, but I haven't done an extensive search.

What's your opinion on publishing copywriting rates? Do you think it helps to build trust with your clients and attract work, or does it make life too complicated?

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
What's your opinion on publishing copywriting rates?

I think they should be pretty clearly stated on websites, even if they (understandably) have to be given as "ranges". At least, I think minimums should be indicated.

Do you think it helps to build trust with your clients and attract work

I think it does. I also think it can save you a lot of time dealing with people who will otherwise do their best to get a "free consultation" when they're only ever intending to pay a fraction of what you're asking, and I think that in a field with such hugely variable pricing as "copywriting" that's potentially quite significant?

(Disclaimer: I haven't done any copywriting for 5 years and probably therefore don't know what I'm talking about. :eek: ).

Last edited:

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
From what I have been told, prices will vary depending on the job.

That's very commonly going to be true, too.

It can also come across to potential customers as an "excuse" for not having prices displayed. Which is why I think at least minimums should be openly stated.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think there is no blanket rule. Plenty of copywriters are getting all the work they need without posted rates.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I don't publish my rates, and have no plans to do so. I'd prefer to talk to the client, get a feel for their project, and THEN come up with an intelligent quote for them.

Posting rates (even if you post them as ranges) is, IMO, problematic because every project is unique. For example, one of my blogging clients is a breeze to work for, the posts are fun and easy to write with minimal research (because I know the topic well), and the time commitment for each post is low. Another client's blog is outside my area of expertise, so I have to research every post - and on top of that, the client is...demanding, is a polite way of putting it.

If I were to post the range between the rates I get from these two clients, the range would be all but meaningless to prospects because they're so far apart. And that range gets even more extreme for the higher-end copywriting pieces, like case studies, white papers, and landing pages.

I also think it can save you a lot of time dealing with people who will otherwise do their best to get a "free consultation" when they're only ever intending to pay a fraction of what you're asking, and I think that in a field with such hugely variable pricing as "copywriting" that's potentially quite significant?

There's a cure for that: Don't talk to a client for more than 15-20 minutes (or whatever time frame you're comfortable with) without asking them what their budget is for the project. I'm happy to discuss the project for that long, getting a feel for their business and what they're looking for...but I won't talk longer than that or give a lot of advice without some indication that an actual job is coming from it.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it will bother some people. But many? Yes. I tend to skip any company that doesn't state pricing up front. Even if it is a range or a minimum. I'm so wary of hard selling. More and more people today want transparency. Instead of getting stuck on the phone with someone who pushes hard and tries for the hard sell all the way through.

If I can't get a ballpark figure on the site or through email or on a brief phone call, then I move on.

Splodge

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! It's really interesting that there are so many different opinions about this.

I currently work the way you do, Angie, but from my own experience I tend to shy away from companies who don't give an idea of rates, like CrastersBabies.

It might be an interesting experiment! :)

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
You as an individual might shy away from companies that don't post rates...but a business client looking for a freelance writer may not.

I'm of the if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it philosophy. If you're getting clients with no rates posted on your site, great! If you're getting clients with rates posted on your site, great! If it's working for you, then it doesn't really matter what others think. ;)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea how it's even possible for a successful crop writer to post rates, or even a range of rates. Every job is different, and you charge according to what that particular business is willing to pay.

A range of rates is meaningless, and no one can really figure out where they fall in that range.

You need two things as a copy writer: 1. A good reputation. 2. Enough knowledge about the business to know what you competition charges for the kind of business you're dealing with at the moment. This later is particularly important because without it, you won't have a clue what to post, or what to charge.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I currently work the way you do, Angie, but from my own experience I tend to shy away from companies who don't give an idea of rates, like CrastersBabies.

It might be an interesting experiment! :)

Every business will tell you exactly what it charges. You just call, tell them what you want done, and they give you a quote.

Businesses that have a bit different job every time can't honestly post rates, or even a range.

Try finding posted rates for a contractor or architect when you want a house built. Everything depends on the particular house you want, and how you want it.

And would you really post a rate or a range, if you're working for a local, family owned small business today, and for a multi-billion dollar international corporation tomorrow?

I've had this happen. How do I post rates? How do I even post a range? Do I post $40-$250 per hour? Who's going to answer that ad? And if they do, and it's basically the same job, why won't the big corporation expect to get me for forty bucks per hour?

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
^^ Exactly. We don't have physical products with set prices. We have an intangible product that's different every time we produce it.

ironman

Registered
Reaction score
The price depends on a deadline and level of the work which needs to be written. I don't think a hight school work can be at the same price as phd.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
You can publish baseline price but state clearly that prices depend on the project and can strongly vary. I think that your reputation and portfolio are more important for attracting clients than publishing rates.

Last edited: