Trigger-happy Neighborhood Watch Kills Black Teenager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheila Muirenn

Rebuilding My Brain
Registered
Reaction score
Since I have no experience with police-work other than reading forensic-type non-fiction, I won't comment on that aspect.

But I just saw a video where potential witnesses got on camera and told what they saw to the media.

Won't that taint a trial?

But what are the effects of witnesses talking on camera? I thought that wasn't allowed?

Confused.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Cops didn't take Zimmerman's clothes, either. Now there's a tight forensics investigation if I've ever seen one.

I hope the feds clean house. Read about the other cases, particularly the earlier fatal shooting of a Black teen. I don't think it's incompetence, although they might be incompetent if they actually tried to get the real story. I think that the combination of 'friend of law enforcement' and Black victim gets handled a certain way in this town, at a minimum. The earlier shooting involved a police volunteer as one of the shooters.

I bet Zimmerman talked up his connection to the local programs the cops ran. I bet he made it sound like he was Chief Lee's best pupil, or something similar. Of course, it's possible that the race thing alone was enough for this POS force.

But I think it was a combination of factors: Zimmerman lived there (class and presumed race), was a student of criminal justice at the college the Chief did a program for* (class/education and a pupil-mentor sort of 'good ole boy's in'), and the victim was a hoodied Black male presumed to not be from around there.

(*Lee called Zimmerman a college grad in one interview)

eta: what's ironic, too, is that the cops found out that Zimmerman had misled them on several of these things. He told them he had passed a more prestigious law enforcement program, told them his record was completely clean, and similar things that had them putting their foot in their mouth early on. They took his word for everything, so he played them just right to get the treatment he got, too.

Last edited:

MysticPunk

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that we as a nation need to move past racism, especially anti-black racism, but I can honestly say that white people are often accused of racism when they aren't even remotely racist. I myself have been accused of it several times, and I know I've stated at least once in these forums that my father-in-law is half black. And one of my two closest friends of 12 years is a black man who I honestly think of as a brother (I mean sibling, not "brothah"). But there are many situations where I feel like I have to walk on egg shells because you never know how someone might take something you say.

For instance, just recently, I was out to dinner with my sister-in-law (who is half Latino and a quarter black) and her very white, ginger fiancé. I tuned out of the conversation for a minute and when I tuned back in, they were discussing what constitutes racism and whether or not the fiancé was racist and I physically cringed because at the table next to us we're three youngish black women who were now paying very close attention to us. I was immediately self conscious because for some reason I didn't feel like my sis-in-law looked "black" enough for anyone to realize they were joking.

So I know this is off topic slightly, but I wanted to make the point that while there are a significant number of people who are anti-black, even subconsciously, there are some of us who are very concerned about being lumped into that group. Black people are taught from a young age what not to do to get into trouble with the law and we are taught from a young age what not to do to get into trouble with black people.

Edit: But we don't usually get shot for it

I hear ya on sometimes being mistaken for being "racist" even if you aren't but I'd like to point to the last thing I quoted from Tim Wise: Even 30% of black people have subconscious anti-black attitudes. Racism isn't an on or off thing. It's a scale and it's cultural. White people and lighter skinned black people, and other ethnicities have privilege over the darker skinned minorities. It's a simple and plain fact. One of the privileges is not being shot by vigilante pieces of shit for walking home in the rain.

I'm white, more or less, and I've been accused of being racist before. I was walking down the street with other white people and someone called us skin heads. It was odd. I was engaged to a black woman at the time. You can't control how people see you. The best I can do is try to point out the privilege I have and try to eliminate it. If someone thinks I'm being racist in the mean time, that's their problem. I do my best, like you, to eliminate the misconception but you can only go so far.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just in case you were curious, Buzzfeed decided to see what the word is among the racist community about the Trayvon Martin case.

Is it post-racial America, yet?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

The president comments:
"If I had a son he'd look like Trayvon."

President Barack Obama said Friday that "every aspect" of the death of Trayvon Martin, the black teenager shot in Florida last month, must be investigated.

"My main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin: If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon," Obama said. "I think they are right to expect that all of us as Americans are going to take this with the seriousness it deserves, and we're going to get to the bottom of what happened."

The president was speaking Friday at the end of a news conference outside of the White House announcing his nomination of Dartmouth president Jim Yong Kim for president of the World Bank.

Asked by NBC's Mike Viqueira to comment on the Martin case, which has prompted national outrage after the shooter evaded arrest for claiming he shot the unarmed teen out of self-defense, Obama said, "Obviously, this is a tragedy. I can only imagine what these parents are going through. And when I think about this boy, I think about my own kids."

He added, "I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this and that everybody pulls together - federal, state, and local - to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened."

Martin, 17, was shot and killed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman on Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla.

"All of us have to do some soul-searching to do figure out how something like this happens," Obama told reporters.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Get this:

But starting in 2011, Zimmerman’s calls increasingly focused on what he considered “suspicious” characters walking around the neighborhood—almost all of whom were young black males.

On April 22, 2011, Zimmerman called to report a black male about “7-9” years old, four feet tall, with a “skinny build” and short black hair. There is no indication in the police report of the reason for Zimmerman’s suspicion of the boy.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/23/did-trayvon-shooter-abuse-911.html

Four feet tall. What a freaking whacko, this guy.

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
And this guy had a concealed carry permit. (Which the last time I heard, he still has.)

Concealed weapons permits are ridiculously easy to obtain here. You take a couple hour long class during which the instructor gives you the answers to the test he/she administers at the end. You have to fire a gun once in front of the instructor to demonstrate that you know how to use it, then they fingerprint you and if you pay extra, they put together all of your stuff, including taking a passport photo, so application can just be dropped in the mail. It took as long for Zimmerman to complete the requirements for a CWP as it did for him to follow and shoot this poor kid.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Just in case you were curious, Buzzfeed decided to see what the word is among the racist community about the Trayvon Martin case.

Is it post-racial America, yet?

My hipocrisy-o-meter exploded:

You lying mother [bleep]ers. You're the very same people waiting in the shadows to hop out and accuse white people of something, even when a White person isn't involved. You anti-White racist animals.
WhiteWeasel420

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I heard the 911 call this morning on the news of that poor boy shouting for help and it was really, really terrible and so sad. That poor boy! What a horrible way for him to go and how could someone chase down someone so frightened, so young, like that and honestly think they were doing the right thing?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Now we have Geraldo Rivera, our favorite FOX News hispanic commentator, saying that Trayvon was killed in part because he was wearing a hoodie.

If FOX News has any vestige of integrity, they fire Rivera's ass NOW, without further comment.

caw

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Now we have Geraldo Rivera, our favorite FOX News hispanic commentator, saying that Trayvon was killed in part because he was wearing a hoodie.

If FOX News has any vestige of integrity, they fire Rivera's ass NOW, without further comment.

caw

I'm guessing a raise is more likely.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

caw

Have you ever heard of a Fox News contributor fired for saying something rude, thoughtless and stupid? I think I liked it better when Fox was ignoring the story.

Geraldo Rivera proves yet again it is better to remain silent and be thought an asshole than to speak and prove you are one.

Remember: guns don't kill people. Hoodies kill people. At least Black teenage people.

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
Have you ever heard of a Fox News contributor fired for saying something rude, thoughtless and stupid?

The sad thing is, Rivera is probably partially right--not to blame the hoodie for Zimmerman's actions but in believing that (someone as idiotic and asinine as) Zimmerman would think wearing a hoodie automatically means you're a thug, and probably a black one at that.

We have a lot of dumb, racist, sexist asshats in this country and they are coming out in droves.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
With that in mind, here's an interesting story about hoodies:

Ebenezer to hold a "Hoodie Sunday" service
http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/ebenezer-to-hold-a-1396461.html
Ebenezer Baptist Church will hold a "Hoodie Sunday" service to protest the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in Florida.

The service will be held at 11 a.m. Sunday at the church, 407 Auburn Ave.

The Rev. Raphael G. Warnock will deliver the sermon in a hoodie. Members of the choir, ministers, deacons and deaconesses as well as church members are also expected to don hoodies.
If the name Ebenezer Baptist doesn't ring a bell and you don't know anything about it, you may want to check out its history.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Jeb Bush: Self-defense doesn't cover teen's death
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/jeb-bush-self-defense-1396787.html
ARLINGTON, Texas — Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush says the "Stand Your Ground" law he signed shouldn't protect a neighborhood watch captain who hasn't been arrested in the shooting death of an unarmed teenager.

Bush spoke Friday at the University of Texas at Arlington, just outside Dallas. He told reporters afterward that the Florida law doesn't apply in the incident that left 17-year-old Trayvon Martin dead.

He said, "Stand your ground means stand your ground. It doesn't mean chase after somebody who's turned their back."

This makes me wonder - has the FBI or any such organization ever taken over a failed police department, kind of like the FDIC does with failed banks? I'm thinking something like that needs to happen.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
The sad thing is, Rivera is probably partially right--not to blame the hoodie for Zimmerman's actions but in believing that (someone as idiotic and asinine as) Zimmerman would think wearing a hoodie automatically means you're a thug, and probably a black one at that.

From what I understand, Rivera suggested poc shouldn't wear hoodies, lest they be thought thugs and thereby increase the likelihood of this sort of violence.

It's very similar to suggesting women shouldn't wear short skirts, lest they be thought sluts and increase the likelihood of their rape.

It's disgusting blame-the-victim bullshit.

And remember: Zimmerman called 911 over quite a few young black males, at least one of them a small child under the age of ten. I don't think the hoodie played any part of this.

ETA: http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...oodie-trayvon-martin-20120323,0,2656585.story
Geraldo Rivera said:
I am urging the parents of black and Latino youngsters particularly not to let their children go out wearing hoodies. I think the hoodie is as much responsible for Trayvon Martin‘s death as much as George Zimmerman was.

Yep, definitely some bullshit.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Good.
Lord.

I had to go off today. Does he NOT understand that racial profiling goes by skin color and NOT attire?

Is Geraldo suggesting Blacks have a summit with other races and agree upon appropriate attire so our boys won't be subject to being hunted and gunned down? If he doesn't have an everlasting back seat with this craziness.

I can't.

I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt Zimmerman would have never approached a White teen-ager in a hoodie. No deuce whatsoever. And with this police department's horrid history,it's no wonder he wasn't charged.

The man's behavior clearly shows he has a problem with Blacks.When a man calls on a CHILD,he is clearly a racist nutjob. Hell,it seems the people in the community all agree he was two cans short of a six pack.

I don't know what else it will take for the law to do the right thing.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
It's very similar to suggesting women shouldn't wear short skirts, lest they be thought sluts and increase the likelihood of their rape.
Actually, Bill O'Reilly was interviewing Rivera and commiserating with him over the flack he received for his hoodie statement.

Bill went on to explain that the same unfounded criticism happened to him last year when he "opined" that a woman raped and murdered in NYC had partially brought it on herself by wearing revealing clothes and acting in a risky manner -- i,e, being out late at night and drinking.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
So even they agree it's pretty much the same.

Lovely.

And I guess all that criticism never did get the point across to O'Reilly, since he still feels it was unfounded.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, Bill O'Reilly was interviewing Rivera and commiserating with him over the flack he received for his hoodie statement.

Bill went on to explain that the same unfounded criticism happened to him last year when he "opined" that a woman raped and murdered in NYC had partially brought it on herself by wearing revealing clothes and acting in a risky manner -- i,e, being out late at night and drinking.

I have no words.

I am literally speechless.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've blogged repeatedly about the Trayvon Martin shooting several times over the week and I gave a thought about putting Geraldo on blast for this brain-dead, callous crap, but you know what? I don't give a damn what Rivera has to say about anything anyway. Why should I give this maggot any more attention than he deserves?

Then the equally swinish Newt Gingrich got in on the act to criticize the president for saying if he had a son, that son would look like Trayvon.
“It’s not a question of who that young man looked like. Any young American of any ethnic background should be safe, period. We should all be horrified no matter what the ethnic background," Gingrich said. "Is the President suggesting that if it had been a white who had been shot that would be ok because it didn’t look like him?"

Earlier in the day Gingrich told reporters that he thought the case should be investigated and suggested the shooter was at fault.

"That’s just nonsense dividing this country up. It is a tragedy this young man was shot," Gingrich continued on Hannity's show. "It would have been a tragedy if he had been Puerto Rican or Cuban or if he had been white or if he had been Asian-American of if he’d been a Native American. At some point we ought to talk about being Americans. When things go wrong to an American. It is sad for all Americans. Trying to turn it into a racial issue is fundamentally wrong. I really find it appalling.”
It is definitely a racial issue and it is definitely was a case of someone who didn't look White suffering the consequences because a bully and punk with a gun didn't like those kind of people in his neighborhood.

Maybe this is why the right-wing was slow on the uptake about Trayvon Martin. This isn't the kind of subject they have any familiarity or comfort with. If only Zimmerman had been a cop. Then they would have no problem rationalizing this away.

Absent that, they now have to try and show they're sympathetic to the Black community and they can't even fake that authentically.

Asking why Geraldo and Newt say stupid shit is like asking why a dog licks his own balls: because they can. :flamethrower

Last edited:

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know the reason the girlfriend didn't call police or Trayvon's mother or father when she lost contact with him? Has she been interviewed anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.