Is 'Just write it' ALWAYS good advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davarian

WARNING: INEXPERIENCED BOOK WRITER
Registered
Reaction score
If there's one thing I've learned about rules, guidelines, and advice, it's that NOTHING always applies. Heh, not even the Golden Rule. Not even Newton's Laws. Everything has exceptions

That being said, I think "just writing it" is a good idea for your senario simply beacuse you might overthink the whole thing, and then nothin gets done.

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
The thing is, too, that for every person for whom "Just write it" doesn't work, there's someone for whom it's permission.

Lots of people come here with the idea that they MUST plot in advance, they MUST have a detailed outline before they start, they MUST know how the story ends first. Not because that's their process, but because they read it somewhere or someone gave them that advice before.

For those people, "Just write it" sets them free. It makes them realize that lots of successful writers (by which I mean writers who have finished a book) start with a character and an idea, not a pages-long detailed outline with bullet points and character factsheets and pictures of models or actors.

There isn't always a way of knowing in advance which people those are.

I think I read this a million times because I kind of love it. For some people it works, for others it does not, and you can't know. You can only help based off what little you know about a poster. Some people need that permission or need to feel that access has been granted to do what they want.

As long as people accept that there is not just one way or one winner takes all method for an creative outlet. I have told people just write before. I have also told people to plot it out. It all depends.

Now everyone let's hug. :Hug2:

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And on that note, I think we're done. We all agree, to do whatever works for us. Yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.