Freelancing Business Registration Question

The Package

Cool. I get to write my own? How ab
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My SO and I have decided to combine our skills as writer/editor and create a "business" on Elance together. What we're curious about--because we're writers and not business professionals--is: do we have to fill out some form, or register as a business before we begin working?

We don't intend on opening a business bank account, or hiring anyone else. It's just a way of pooling our skills together to become some kind of superbot.

Would it be easier to just apply for jobs on my existing Elance account and pretend that she isn't helping, or is this "business" venture going to be painless?

We live in Ontario, Canada, and we're literally clueless.

Thanks in advance.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about any of the rest of this, but I have a question for you.

Do you have a contract with each other? I recommend one for any business venture. This will spell out your individual responsibilities and give you a fallback should the business or relationship falter. I know it sounds mercenary considering, but having clear written rules can help avoid a lot of conflicts. It doesn't necessarily need to be formal, just something.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I don't know how Canadian rules differ, and I'm not a lawyer, so take this with a grain of salt. I don't think you *have* to have a license, but it is a good idea to set up an LLC or the equivalent, to keep your business income separate from your personal income. Then, if disaster strikes, your business takes the hit instead of your personal assets.

As for both of you working under the same Elance account - that's really misleading for potential clients and could get you labeled unethical. You always want to be very clear and open about who exactly is doing the work for the client.