Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
I have a big day planned for tomorrow.
:yessmiley

He's an excellent photographer, very knowledgeable and talented.
So it runs in the family? ;)

It's the size of a jumbo diaper bag...
Wow, that is big. I had one of those when my daughter was younger.

He's fortunate that I like him, or else I'd be planning the longest, most arduous one day trek of his life. ;)
:D

Have a fun and safe time, SK. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Have a fun and safe time, SK. :)
Thank you, Lance. It should be a great time, with the two of us challenging each other and sharing tips on how best to improve our work. I'm only slightly intimidated by his equipment, which is about as good as you can buy without going full-out professional. It doesn't mean that, standing side by side, he'll produce better images; but man, would I ever love to have some of that gear!

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-huh. I can just see you getting the most amazing shots while he's fiddling with the tripod. ::big cheezy grin::

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Uh-huh. I can just see you getting the most amazing shots while he's fiddling with the tripod. ::big cheezy grin::
Yes, that and changing lenses on the go. I tried to explain to him that we'll be on the move most of the time and that he should choose his favorite telephoto, and perhaps a back-up lens for the entire day. He truly couldn't comprehend such limitations and said, "I'm bringing the tripod, too."

That's cool. And as much as I want to show him a good time, I'll be moving on quickly from most locations, so he won't have time to set up the tripod.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Bear with me here, SK, it's a legit question: Does he have experience photographing wildlife? While many of your photos look like the subjects posed for you, I've learned to my chagrin even relatively well-trained pets don't and won't wait for ya.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think the overhead shot of the pelican would draw such interest. I've cropped the original and reposted it below for those who might want to see a closer view:

2-29-13144-SM-2_zps2aa59f3d.jpg

That's a great photo!:)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Bear with me here, SK, it's a legit question: Does he have experience photographing wildlife? While many of your photos look like the subjects posed for you, I've learned to my chagrin even relatively well-trained pets don't and won't wait for ya.
He doesn't have much experience with fast moving subjects, which is one of the areas he hopes to improve upon. He won't learn a great deal from me, except maybe not to carry all of that gear during his next outing. ;)

Take a rope in case he sinks in the marsh while setting up his stuff.
It's funny you said that, as I think a wading trip would be a real eye-opener for him, minus all of that equipment he's tied to.

That's a great photo!:)
Thank you, LM.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He's fortunate that I like him, or else I'd be planning the longest, most arduous one day trek of his life. ;)

The idea of you deliberately making the trek as challenging as possible just makes me grin..

It also sounds like fun to me.. :D

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
The idea of you deliberately making the trek as challenging as possible just makes me grin..

I was thinking the same thing. Can't wait to hear how this trip goes, SK.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any chance Clarence is Charlie's baby?
Could be, but I think Charlie was too young to reproduce; they're most likely siblings.

How's the new camera working out? Got any shots to share with us yet? :)

I was thinking the same thing. Can't wait to hear how this trip goes, SK.
The trip went great, better than expected. Before we set out, he took my advice and traveled light, which he was very grateful for by the end of the day.

He was blown away, truly, by some of the sights he encountered. He reminded me of a kid whose dream is to roam though a toy store and select whatever his heart desires. At times he'd lower the camera and close his eyes briefly as if to record scenes in his mind to later compare to his photos.

I know that look well, and it endeared me to him further and made me work harder to find areas where he'd have the most success.

Though I didn't shoot much, I'll share a few photos soon that show a range of subjects we encountered.

A monopod would be a lot more maneuverable for him if he's going to insist on a stability tool. Much less clumsy than a tripod.
That's true, but his intention was to squeeze in some macro shots (with a macro lens) along the way, for which a tripod would have been necessary.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He was blown away, truly, by some of the sights he encountered. He reminded me of a kid whose dream is to roam though a toy store and select whatever his heart desires. At times he'd lower the camera and close his eyes briefly as if to record scenes in his mind to later compare to his photos.

That would be me, I'm sure.. lucky guy..

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
The trip went great, better than expected.

At times he'd lower the camera and close his eyes briefly as if to record scenes in his mind to later compare to his photos.
I had to smile when I read that--sometimes the beauty of nature has that effect. He must've been deeply touched by the experience. :)

...I'll share a few photos soon that show a range of subjects we encountered.

Lady MacBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Glad the trip went well. Looking forward to seeing the photos.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Could be, but I think Charlie was too young to reproduce; they're most likely siblings.

How's the new camera working out? Got any shots to share with us yet? :)

I do have a nice picture of the horse who bit me. :rolleyes: But no, nothing sharable. I'm still working on it. Next week we're going to the Grand Canyon, hopefully then!

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Figures. I'm MIA for a few days and miss pictures.

I'm not what the big deal is about taking overhead shots. I like it. This is usually how I see pelicans when I visit the beach. I love how they fly in formation. When one flaps his wings, they all do it. And watching them divebomb into the water is always cool.

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
*bumps thread*

:)

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're being modest.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the new additions to the thread. :)

L. Y.

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Amazing shots, SK!

I never truly appreciated the color orange until now.

(They are orange, aren't they? I'm a bit colorblind.)