SYW categories

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I have never used the SYW section, but I am thinking about it. A little nervous. But what I can't figure out is if I should post in literary or mainstream/contemporary. When I looked at both sections, I couldn't see a clear divide between what is posted in both these sections. For those of you who have posted a story in SYW, how did you decide where it should go? Are you likely to get more comments in one of these sections? Why isn't it just one category like it is here?

Also, how helpful did you find this? I think I prefer swapping stories since you get to see how the person writes who is giving you comments. Like if they are really good at dialog, I know I should listen if they comment on my dialog. Things like that. Did you get enough comments in SYW to know how to improve your story?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd suggest trying mainstream first, since I think you'll get more eyes on it--especially if you aren't sure if it ought to be classified as literary or not. If a lot of people think it reads more literary, you can ask for the thread to be moved.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I do consider my work literary, but when I read work from both sections, it didn't seem to matter where they go. I'm not even sure why there are two sections and they are not combined like here. I'm not looking for feedback on if my story is literary. I just want someone to tell me I don't suck.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
I just want someone to tell me I don't suck.

This made me smile. My experience is to get feedback on parts that DO suck is most useful. What good is a crit that doesn't help you improve?

I post in Literary and have gotten some great crits there. I looked in Contemporary once and the length of the pieces seemed to be shorter than I needed to post, so I went with literary. Once you hang around the two places for a while and put some crits in (Very Important if you want help in return), you'll get a feel for where you want to post.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
This made me smile. My experience is to get feedback on parts that DO suck is most useful. What good is a crit that doesn't help you improve?

I post in Literary and have gotten some great crits there. I looked in Contemporary once and the length of the pieces seemed to be shorter than I needed to post, so I went with literary. Once you hang around the two places for a while and put some crits in (Very Important if you want help in return), you'll get a feel for where you want to post.

Maybe SYW is not right for me. I don't know.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Remember that you are not your manuscript!

If something in your manuscript isn't working, it's probably best to find that out early. Someone saying "this is great", when there's a honking big problem with it (or a small one that will compound as the MS continues), isn't helpful.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
Hey getting by - I didn't mean to scare you away. When you post, just say "be gentle" and the fine critters know what to do.

Frankly learning to take crits is one of the harder things in the business (agent rejections or worse, black holes the other.) But you can do it. And maybe we will say what you wrote is great. You'll never know if you don't give it a try.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Hey getting by - I didn't mean to scare you away. When you post, just say "be gentle" and the fine critters know what to do.

Frankly learning to take crits is one of the harder things in the business (agent rejections or worse, black holes the other.) But you can do it. And maybe we will say what you wrote is great. You'll never know if you don't give it a try.

I have learned to take criticism from my workshops at school. I was thinking of posting something here before I workshop it in real life, but I'm not sure if the anonymous set up will really work for me. People might read it and think it's not worth commenting on. I don't want to make myself crazy over this.

Last edited:

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I have learned to take criticism from my workshops at school. I was thinking of posting something here before I workshop it in real life, but I'm not sure if the anonymous set up will really work for me. People might read it and think it's not worth commenting on. I don't want to make myself crazy over this.
Writers are here, published or not, anonymous or not, some more astute than others, the vast majority wanting to help their fellow writers. What you call yourself doesn't matter. Critiquers are looking at the work.

I don't think anybody here would tell you that you suck. They may tell you x or y works for them, or didn't; may note that you are telling than showing, or showing just right. They may talk about voice or pacing, or suggest your excerpt might benefit from more detail, or less . . . but if you're looking for somebody to assure you that your stuff is great, or doesn't suck, SYW might not be the venue for you just yet.

Regarding whether or not to post, lacygnette and Helix gave you some good advice. I'd say, take a chance, put it out there. Just be sure you want a critique for your work, because that's what you'd be getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.