^DISCUSSION^ -- November Character Building Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Now Maryn has four more people to off. No wonder she's wearing a sheet over her head.

Maybe my Spartans will protect me.

What? The characters in my WIP aren't real, you say? Of course they are!

*pets manly Spartans*

I do have to say it was nice not having to worry about "modernisms" in writing this piece for the contest. Thanks again, jst.

c.e.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
OK, folks. We're off and running. Comments about the entries should be going here. Don't forget to vote.

Thanks!

Jason

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
That's cruel, Jason. You know how much I love that squirrel. :D

I'm looking forward to reading and voting on these.

Teige Benson

Live. Dream. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to all those who entered. I'm off to read the entries.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Wow!! I am blown away by all the compelling, original, well written vignettes. I voted, and I have to say that it was difficult to decide on only three.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I've read them through, but I'll read them all again tomorrow, when I'm less tired, before I vote.

:)

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa.

Impressive bunch. I'm with nerdsrus...I need to read through them again when I have a clear head before I vote.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
I read all the entries at least twice, and some a third time. Now my votes are in. I tried to choose those which were well-written but also met the specific parameters and confines of the challenge.

Some of the pieces were quite vividly written and yet didn't give me a crystal-clear picture of Brenda - I got clearer pictures of the ranch and the people around her, past and present - and then a few pieces brought her across clearly but didn't always flow smoothly for me.

I enjoyed reading every entry, and the suspenseful note some were left on was cool. Good job, everyone.

:)

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
nerdsrus--That was my impression from my first read-through. Now to go back and pick my winners.

Oh, and I'm assuming those of us who entered aren't voting for ourselves...right?

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
nerdsrus--That was my impression from my first read-through. Now to go back and pick my winners.
Oh, and I'm assuming those of us who entered aren't voting for ourselves...right?

I'm not, I can't do that. It's allowed in the Poetry contests, I don't know about here in this one. Not a practice I'd feel personally comfortable with, even when it's allowed, but, each to their own. Maybe Jason will come along and clarify whether or not it's allowed here for those who are wondering.

Last edited:

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
The votes are streaming in folks! Keep them coming (but only vote once!).

I have not read all the entries. That's my goal tonight.

However, I did skim them and, well, you folks out did yourselves. Congratulations for the courage to enter and be judged. That's far more fuel you could ever need than simply winning. It's always about the journey, not the destination (unless the destination is a $167 million lotteyr check :) )

jt

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not, I can't do that. It's allowed in the Poetry contests, I don't know about here in this one. Not a practice I'd feel personally comfortable with, even when it's allowed, but, each to their own. Maybe Jason will come along and clarify whether or not it's allowed here for those who are wondering.

I'm with you...I don't feel comfortable with it either, even when it is allowed.

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I voted.

Taking a closer look at each entry for judging purposes made me appreciate them even more! What a great learning experience.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished a first reading, but these deserve a second before I vote. IMO, there's not a dud in the bunch--this is going to be hard!

Maryn, glad to see the quality across the board

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com

Your vote is your vote. It won't be revealed. Cast it as you will and feel no guilt. :)

Teige Benson

Live. Dream. Write.
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed reading all the entries - very good work, everyone!

It's interesting to see how many of these told very different stories. At the same time, there were also those that tended to have similar themes. It's really cool when you think about it.

I think that everyone who entered should be very proud of themselves. It's not always the writing that is the hard part. Sometimes, the hardest part is putting your work out there for others to see - and judge.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished a first reading, but these deserve a second before I vote. IMO, there's not a dud in the bunch--this is going to be hard!

Maryn, glad to see the quality across the board

So, my husband was reading me some of these posts over the phone while I was at work. (don't ask)
When he read Maryn's post he said, "IMO-there's not a DUDE in the bunch--" and I laughed my ass off. Then I got home, and realized what you really wrote and thought, "oooooooh! she wasn't talking about the romance aspects, got it." lol. Too funny.

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
We've had 11 people vote so far.

Please take 20 or 30 minutes, read what's been submitted and vote. It means the world to our entrants!

Thanks!

Jason

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've promised myself that I'll find time to reread and vote today. It'll be easier if you come and clean my kitchen, though, since that could take a big chunk of the day.

C'mon, be a sport!

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've learned a couple of good lessons from entering this competition. I thought I'd share them with you and spare you the same.

1) Don't try to line edit when your two young girls are home sick and not cooperating.

2) If the only person available to proof-read your entry prior to submission is your spouse who is presently snoring contentedly after having worked all night, DO indeed wake up said spouse to proof-read.

I've been cringing at my post since jst put it up.:eek: + :e2violin:

I've enjoyed reading all of the entries. I love the different takes on the same prompt. It's so interesting how we can come up with such varied ideas on the same initial idea.

I also wanted to mention how much I liked how #7 was written. I love the atmospheric quality, and the backstory on the house and Sally, and I liked the voice of Tommy. There were a few great details thrown in, like the crinkling of the plastic bag with her dried apricots. It had a smooth, relaxed quality to it. Well done!

Good luck, everyone.

c.e.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
OMG - seriosuly I have to wait till tomorrow night for the winners?? The suspense is killing me!

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Yes, you'll have to wait until tomorrow night. :)

I'm having a few friends in the writing biz offer comment about your work and tallying the votes in the morning.

Thanks!

Jason

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The votes are in and now it's all about the waiting.

One comment I shared with Jason when I voted was that the "common knowledge" seems to be true: There's way too much red or auburn hair in fiction. Of course, some of the Brendas the writers created might be the type to color their hair, but others were not. If I recall correctly, all but one story which mentioned a hair color at all made it red or auburn.

Maryn, who's going with brown next time, or green

Status
Not open for further replies.