The Avengers

krashnburn

I've gone to pink!
Registered
Reaction score
For those have seen it, will a 5 year old be Okay with it? He's already seen the other movies and loves them, especially Iron Man, but sometimes I have to explain a few things. If he managed through the others pretty well, do you think there'd be a lot of "Mommy, why?" during the movie. He's seen the commercials and is super excited, so I'd like to take him if it won't be too over his head.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those have seen it, will a 5 year old be Okay with it? He's already seen the other movies and loves them, especially Iron Man, but sometimes I have to explain a few things. If he managed through the others pretty well, do you think there'd be a lot of "Mommy, why?" during the movie. He's seen the commercials and is super excited, so I'd like to take him if it won't be too over his head.

I checked at fandango. The movie has its rating because of sci-fi/fantasy action violence and a mild drug reference. Probably fine for your boy.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Exo-Man FTW!

Ironically, the suit itself has been one of the models for modern-day doctors designing "walking" suits for paraplegics. Lousy movie, but a great idea.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was okay. It wasn't as dumb and pointless as the Transformers Movies but it wasn't one of Joss's best either. I liked the character of Black Widow and how Bruce was written. Black Widow's first scene was awesome! Very typical Joss. She was like a cross between Buffy and the chick from Serenity, I forget her name. The one Summer plays. I thought it was a decent super hero flick but it didn't keep me glued to my seat like Hunger Games did.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Okay, that was pretty great.

Haven't heard so much audience reaction at a movie in some time. I think people missed Hulk's best line because they were applauding.

Joss Whedon has definitely grown as a writer. (A few years back, I noticed he and I shared several strengths and weaknesses. I have two extra weaknesses, and Whedon has an extra strength and an extra weakness that actually acts as a strength.)

I would have only added one line. Then again, maybe it's better unspoken.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
The movie is a good strong action film, make no mistake. But the Hulk? He has two of the best--and shortest--fight scenes in the movie. I laughed until I cried and then I hurt for a few minutes because I'd laughed so hard. Very entertaining and a lot of fun!

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Holy cow. Best superhero movie I've seen. Period. Joss Whedon directed the hell out of the show. Most "team" movies like this have one or two main characters that get all the attention, or, they stretch the attention too thin and you have a hard time caring for any of the characters.

I don't know how Whedon did it, but I felt like every character got some awesome screen time, moved their perspective character arcs along nicely, and I never got confused as to who was doing what and where everyone was.

Hands down, one of the best sequences in any action/comic movie, is when they moved from character to character in one nice, long shot, following the shield to Hawkeye's arrow to Hulk. So awesome. Everyone was important. Everyone was necessary. And the fact that I shed a tear when Tony went through the portal? Damn. Damn damn damn.

What impressed me the very most? Is that someone (imho) FINALLY got The Hulk right. Mark Ruffalo was great, sure, but the issue I had with previous Hulk incarnations was that they always try to build in the love story and have Bruce Banner fighting against himself, trying not to get mad, then they bring in the generals and the tanks and the whole damn army. What Hulk needed all along was a real villain to take out.

And I agree with mscelina, there was one moment (Hulk moment) when I laughed so hard I cried and the whole theater erupted in applause.

So, my biggest worry is that if they do a sequel, they'll get some asshat to direct it instead of Joss Whedon. Joss needs to stay with this franchise. Period.

Did you all stay to the very end (after the credits) to see them eating some, uh.... schwarza? Whatever it's called? Funny scene.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
This version of the Hulk didn't seem as massive as it was in the second Hulk movie but it was impressive enough. His little 'GTFO' moment with Thor was priceless, as was his 'WHAM WHAM WHAM' (pause) 'WHAM WHAM' scene with Loki. A true case of LMAO 'til I cried. Very comic-booky but it worked.

If they're going to make a sequel, then I hope Whedon directs it. He clearly has a handle on how to get an ensemble cast to work together and set up the action scenes and knows this genre better than anyone with maybe the exception of Jon Favreau.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
"I used to be a God like you, but then I took a Hulk to the everything."

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
The Shawarma scene at the end still has me giggling to think of it.

"Puny god." :ROFL:

Then Loki sits up, looks at the whole team staring at him, and says "I think I'll take that drink now." Ha!

I'll miss Phil.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I'll miss Phil.
Me, too. No posturing, no powers, no tough talk -- but one of the most heroic characters in a superhero movie.

And well-enough established, starting with the first Iron Man movie, that it means something when he dies. One of the best lines, better for not being completed: "This never would have worked ... if they didn't have something to ...."

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Me, too. No posturing, no powers, no tough talk -- but one of the most heroic characters in a superhero movie.

And well-enough established, starting with the first Iron Man movie, that it means something when he dies. One of the best lines, better for not being completed: "This never would have worked ... if they didn't have something to ...."
---

He always underplayed his role with a nice, dry, sort of ironic way of saying things. Phil will be missed.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to this, but I've been wanting to ask, am I the only one who thinks Hawkeye and Black Widow look pretty damn useless in these trailers? I mean, you've got the ever-loving Hulk, the god of thunder, Tony Stark and his array of high-tech weaponry, and Captain America who, all right, doesn't bring as much offensive firepower as the ones aforementioned, but he provides tactical combat leadership and he's at least beefed up on superhero steroids.

Then you've got the dude with the bow and arrow and the gal with the pistol. What the hell do they do: make bagel-runs? I'm sure they'll have an important role and prove themselves worthy to stand beside the others and blah blah blah, but come on now. How are those two not superfluous?

Wait until you see the movie. I don't think you'll be nearly as skeptical that Hawkeye and the Black Widow are totally superfluous supporting characters.

I went this morning with my wife (who loves her some Robert Downey, Jr.) and my know-it-all 17-year-old daughter who loves Chris Evans face and Chris Hemsworth's arms.

My inner-most fanboy has been doing a happy dance all day long. For me The Avengers has dethroned Spider-Man 2 as the second-best superhero movie of all time and by a WIDE margin. It can't touch the force of nature known as The Dark Knight, but The Dark Knight Rises will have to be killing it to beat this.

What does a $200 million budget buy? Everything I think I could have dreamed of for The Avengers and then some. It's eye-popping entertainment and yes, even Scarlett Johannson is given something to do besides be token eye-candy for the guys. Tom Hiddleston's Loki makes a great bad guy even if his master plan doesn't really hang together. The movie takes some time to get going but once it does, it works wonderfully.

Joss Whedon knows how to balance out a diverse group of characters and do it such a way that nobody feels short-changed or disappears off-screen for extended periods of time. It's a masterful bit of direction by him. He's going to be able to write his own ticket after this one.

I can't say much more about this movie but to say it's much better than I could have hoped and I will be seeing it again. Oh, and after two movies where they couldn't quite get the Hulk right, Whedon gets it right and then some. Hulk smash puny film up good!

This being a Marvel movie you will have to stay through the credits. There are two easter eggs thrown in. One that only comic book geeks will get and another that is...kinda different.

Make Mine The Avengers! :hooray::Jump::snoopy::TheWave::Trophy::e2woo:

This movie might be a little intense in parts for a five-year-old. He'll probably squirm and yawn a bit for the first 30 minutes and he might be a little scared of the Hulk or the final battle sequences. There's no blood or bad language, but if he's never seen a super-hero movie, this might not be where he should start.

You can take him, but just be prepared to explain that the violence is all make-believe and he probably can handle it.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com

As long as you can keep him under control - went yesterday to the 4:30 pm showing and there was a kid, maybe 3-4 with his family who wouldn't shut up. After the row emptied around the kid it fell to the usher to get mom, dad, one smaller kid and the noisy one to leave.

What killed me wasn't that the wee one was noisy - it was that mom/dad weren't doing ANYTHING to keep him quiet. No shushing, no giving him a candy during the less frantic moments at the start to keep him entertained. They did nothing until tossed out.

Excellent movie. We will be seeing this in 3D!

... then we came home and sniffled when we saw FX playing Iron Man and caught Phil meeting Pepper at the office.

:(

(and GREAT Pepper/Tony stuff! YAY!)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Did you all stay to the very end (after the credits) to see them eating some, uh.... schwarza? Whatever it's called? Funny scene.

We heard there was a scene after the credits, so we sat through them and got....nada. :(

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Magnificent!

"I am a god. I will not be bullied by..."

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you can keep him under control - went yesterday to the 4:30 pm showing and there was a kid, maybe 3-4 with his family who wouldn't shut up. After the row emptied around the kid it fell to the usher to get mom, dad, one smaller kid and the noisy one to leave.

What killed me wasn't that the wee one was noisy - it was that mom/dad weren't doing ANYTHING to keep him quiet. No shushing, no giving him a candy during the less frantic moments at the start to keep him entertained. They did nothing until tossed out.

Excellent movie. We will be seeing this in 3D!

... then we came home and sniffled when we saw FX playing Iron Man and caught Phil meeting Pepper at the office.

:(

(and GREAT Pepper/Tony stuff! YAY!)

Good grief, I hate rude, thoughtless movie-goers. I get that some parents can tune their kids out, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world can.

My daughter is 4 (almost 5) and she LOVES superheroes, but we thought her too young. There are a few parts of talking and exposition and she would have likely squirmed and complained during those, or asked, "is it over yet?"

This is, imho, better for kids at home if they can't sit through dialogue and expository moments. Not that Whedon has a lot of down-time, mind you (he uses his time very efficiently), but, yeah. If I had to put an age limit on this, I'd say 7, maybe 8. I did see some 5 and 6 year olds there (all boys, and all REALLY into Captain America), and didn't hear a peep out of them. So, maybe it depends on the kid? My only suggestion is not to be a douche and to look at your child's viewing habits very objectively.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
We heard there was a scene after the credits, so we sat through them and got....nada. :(

That's lame! Did you get the short clip right after the credits started. Apparently, there was a short deal a minute after the credits started. Then, one at the very very end of the credits. Sucks that you didn't see that very last one.

Racey

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really loved this movie. The entire crowd were laughing altogether at the funny scenes and I myself haven't actually LOL'd at a movie as much as I did this one, not for quite a while.

As a Robert Downey Jr fan, I was there for the Iron Man-ness but I have to say all the characters were great. The Hulk was the best out of the modern movies, I didn't quite love the other Hulks as much as this one! I haven't seen Thor or Captn America *ducks for cover* but I am definitely going to watch them now, can't wait.

Awesome movie and great in 3d!!
I didn't get to see the scene after credits rolled, so I think that's the excuse I can use to go and see it again ;)