• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mundania Press / PhazE / New Classics Press

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
Update. Two days shy of nine months I received my rejection. It wasn't a pleasant surprise in my email. At least I have an answer.

Harris

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll try them again. :) I'm a glutton for punishment.

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
Good luck to those submitting to Mundania

I know I'm new here--just joined tonight after reading this thread--but I wanted to say that I have had a good experience with this publisher so far. It may have taken them a while to accept my manuscripts (yes, multiple novels--a fantasy series and a separate stand-alone science fiction), but Dan is fair and their contract is straightforward. It also helped that I had three of the four books of the series completed, which proved it would be done in a reasonable time and showed where the series was headed.

Now their submissions policy has changed, but I'm glad that I was accepted by a reputable small press like Mundania, even if I won't see my first book in print for another year. That will give me time to finish the last of the series before the work really begins.

Good luck to everyone vying for those precious acceptance spots, wherever you submit, whether Mundania or elsewhere. I know it's a grueling road and rejection is depressing (every one set me back about a week of not wanting to write), but in the right time with the right story and the right publisher, it does happen. Just beware the dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Melanie
www.melanienilles.com

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I like how this company looks and best of luck Melanie...but I cannot send my work to them. I am not writing a fantasy or sci/fi novel.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
Jo Scott said:
I like how this company looks and best of luck Melanie...but I cannot send my work to them. I am not writing a fantasy or sci/fi novel.

They take a number of genres not only fantasy and sci-fi. Categories listed include: Horror, Mystery, Romance, Historical

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
But they all have to have a paranormal theme, mine isn't like that. I checked it out, my novel is currently a southern fiction young adult. It has a bit of romance, drama, and underage drinking and sex...

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
here's the list, right off the website:

We Accept
Mundania Press only accepts the following genres in novel, novella, and short story length.

Science-Fiction
Fantasy
Horror
Mystery (Sci-Fi)
Mystery (Fantasy)
Mystery (Paranormal)
Mystery (Horror)
Romance (Sci-Fi)
Romance (Fantasy)
Romance (Paranormal)
Romance (Horror)

Paranormal are stories with non-human characters, such as werewolves and vampires. Also stories of psi abilities, ghost, or other abnormal happenings. If accepted, novels are released in trade paperback and eBook editions. Novellas and short stories are released in eBook editions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We Do Not Accept

Erotica (Please submit to our erotica imprint—Phaze Books)
Poetry
Inspirational Fiction (Christian, Metaphysical, New Age)
Children's or Tween's books or stories
All Non-Fiction (how-to's, biographies, self-help, 'based on true stories', real life stories, etc.)
Mainstream Fiction
Contemporary, Historical, or Suspense Romance (romance must be in the sci-fi, fantasy, or paranormal genres)
Historicals
Western
War/Spy
Action/Adventure
Stories based on someone else's work. I.e., no Star Trek, Star Wars, TV shows, movies, or other books (unless you are the original author and retain all the rights--and can prove it).
Anthologies or collections of short stories, however we accept individual short stories.
Screen Plays or Scripts
Any genre not shown in the list of accepted genres.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
Contemporary, Historical, or Suspense Romance (romance must be in the sci-fi, fantasy, or paranormal genres)
Thats why I cannot go there.

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
It's always important to submit to publishers that have other books similar to yours, rather than waste their time. I've been coming to understand that more and more. Mundania just happened to be a good fit for my stories.

Melanie
www.melanienilles.com

MundaniaPress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mundania.com
Branwyn said:
Congrats!:partyguy: I still have a bit to wait...I thinks it's only been 3 mos.

Just as a followup. We're through almost all of May and have sent out notices for everything so far.

Unfortunately, several that we liked and read the whole manuscripts on, and even sent letters of acceptance for, were shot down by the authors because they already sold their manuscripts to another publisher. This is always a problem because we spend a lot of time and money (paying editors) to review the submissions sent us so that we make sure every single one of them get a fair and thorough review to see if it is something we are interested in publishing. I know it is hard to wait for some authors. If you do sell the book somewhere else, be sure to drop a line to the other publishers as a courtesy so they know not to go forward with your submission. That frees up our time to go on to the next book in the stack.

As far as sending notices--we have noticed a huge increase in the number of our email notices to authors not being received by them. This is normally due to the recipient's spam or junk filters grabbing our emails and dumping them in the waste bin. We also get bounced emails when the address is no longer viable. People seem to change email addresses like underwear!

It's a good idea to contact the publisher if you haven't heard from them within the "normal" amount of time. It could be that they already contacted you and you never saw it. It's not pushy to write a polite, professional inquiry about the status. However, don't use pushy language or yell that you don't have an answer yet after waiting so long. Always be professional. Writing and publishing is a business, so be business-like. You will earn the respect of everyone you come in contact with, whether they take your book or not, they will remember how nice it was to deal with you.

Example: If you sold your book to a publisher, and then got a rejection letter from another one, try to refrain from writing back to that publisher and saying, "Neener, neener, I already sold the book and you are too stupid to accept it." (Actual email we got recently.) All this does is burn your bridge. Do it too often, and you'll find you aren't welcomed anywhere.

Dan

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Dan,
I submited my novel, "Jeffrey" to you many months ago. After about 4 months I was made an offer from another publisher and I notified your office of that. Because I was told it could take up to eight months for an answer from your company, I went with the other one so I could get my book out sooner. I have another book that has been released from another publisher that I want to get out early next year. I wrote a movie script for it and it has had a lot of attention. A producer asked for the script a few weeks ago and I am now waiting to hear from him. I just need to know how you handle something like that?

Jennifer Robins

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Dan,

Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to once again post in AW.

MundaniaPress said:
Unfortunately, several that we liked and read the whole manuscripts on, and even sent letters of acceptance for, were shot down by the authors because they already sold their manuscripts to another publisher. This is always a problem because we spend a lot of time and money (paying editors) to review the submissions sent us so that we make sure every single one of them get a fair and thorough review to see if it is something we are interested in publishing. I know it is hard to wait for some authors. If you do sell the book somewhere else, be sure to drop a line to the other publishers as a courtesy so they know not to go forward with your submission. That frees up our time to go on to the next book in the stack.

I hope all members will read the above quote and remember it the next time they worry about their submissions. That worry time is better spent writing their next MS.

Again, thank you and I hope Mundania's next book is a best seller.

Last edited:

MundaniaPress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mundania.com
Jennifer Robins said:
Dan,
I submited my novel, "Jeffrey" to you many months ago. After about 4 months I was made an offer from another publisher and I notified your office of that. Because I was told it could take up to eight months for an answer from your company, I went with the other one so I could get my book out sooner. I have another book that has been released from another publisher that I want to get out early next year. I wrote a movie script for it and it has had a lot of attention. A producer asked for the script a few weeks ago and I am now waiting to hear from him. I just need to know how you handle something like that?

Jennifer Robins

Jennifer,

We've never told anyone that there is an eight month delay. As far as how you would handle a request for a script, I don't have any ideas for you as that is something I never deal with. The only advice I can give is the same for every author (or scriptwriter) who is submitting something. Do your research. Have you checked out the producer? If there is serious interest, it might be time to find an agent. One especially for movie deals would be best. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dan

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
MundaniaPress said:
Jennifer,

We've never told anyone that there is an eight month delay. As far as how you would handle a request for a script, I don't have any ideas for you as that is something I never deal with. The only advice I can give is the same for every author (or scriptwriter) who is submitting something. Do your research. Have you checked out the producer? If there is serious interest, it might be time to find an agent. One especially for movie deals would be best. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dan

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I am looking for a publisher for the book that the script is written off of. I am conerned that if and that's a big if, the producer decides to go with this, I would not have the book on the market before the movie came out.

Jennifer

MundaniaPress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mundania.com
Jennifer Robins said:
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I am looking for a publisher for the book that the script is written off of. I am conerned that if and that's a big if, the producer decides to go with this, I would not have the book on the market before the movie came out.

Jennifer

You probably wouldn't have to worry about that. Most movies take years upon years to come to fruition. If they are really interested, they should offer you an option--money paid to you so that no other movie company can option the movie (that's money to keep regardless of whether they go through with it or not). Once you get an option, get an agent (or actually before!) and then your agent should not have any problem getting an offer for your book from one of the big publishing houses.

Dan

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
MundaniaPress said:
You probably wouldn't have to worry about that. Most movies take years upon years to come to fruition. If they are really interested, they should offer you an option--money paid to you so that no other movie company can option the movie (that's money to keep regardless of whether they go through with it or not). Once you get an option, get an agent (or actually before!) and then your agent should not have any problem getting an offer for your book from one of the big publishing houses.

Dan

I knew about the options and that it could take awhile. I have been trying to get an agent but that's not easy. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Jennifer

MundaniaPress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mundania.com
Jennifer Robins said:
I knew about the options and that it could take awhile. I have been trying to get an agent but that's not easy. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Jennifer

Once someone offers you an option, you'll be able to get an agent pronto. The agent can help negotiate the option too. Nothing gets you an agent faster than something that is pre-sold.

Dan

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Jennifer,
just going back to one thing you mentioned. You said that the book that has the screenplay already written, you want to get out early next year.

I cannot see how that is going to be possible with any legitmate publisher. Not to burst your bubble, but most presses are already working on their early to mid-2007 books. Just FYI, because this business is NOT quick at any stage.

And I think if you DO get the option deal, finding an agent that deals with such things will be easy. (LOL Mundania Press, we think alike)

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
Patience is a virtue

MundaniaPress said:

In submitting my works over the years, I've seen more and more of the larger publishers (the ones who still accept unagented work) saying they don't accept simultaneous submissions. I think it's only fair when you consider the hours that any publisher grants an author to read their work that they, the author, honor that. Most of us as writers are impatient. (My husband knows this is a nasty trait of mine ;) But I've worked hard for over a decade to improve my writing and storytelling, so I've learned some patience, mostly in the form of rejection. Also, forums like this, where a publisher has had some input have also helped me to understand the processes we don't see. What you said applies not just to Mundania, but also to other publishers. I can understand sending out queries, but anytime you ask a publisher or agent to read a partial or full submission, I think it's only fair to give them an exclusive read as payment for the time they take to consider it.

I'm guessing that's part of the reason you changed your submission policy to an online query, which is what I saw more and more of when shopping for publishers and agents.

(I'm glad I didn't lose my online access too long--hard drive crashed big time the other day. This town may not be big, but at least someone had a laptop hdd and was able to replace it in one day. And all files were backed up--whew! I hate being disconnected from the rest of the world.)

Melanie

Silverhand

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericfogle.com
Melanie,

While I agree with most of what you said, giving a publisher sole rights for more then 90 days just doesn't work. Granted, I am a newbie at all of this, but WE are a business too. If they are approaching us a business...then it can only be expected from authors as well. Just as in real life if a contractor takes too long to provide service, I will go somewhere else.

/shrugs