So what's for dinner?

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
It sounds good. How do you make it? (Or if it's involved, can you link to a recipe online?)

Brown the mince in a bit of butter.
Then add chopped onion and chopped mushrooms. Fry for 3-4 minutes.
Let it cool a bit. Add half a spoon of flour to thicken everything a bit.
Then I usually use shortcrust pastry that I bought. Half the sheet and then half it again, making 4 squares of pastry.
Put mixture on top, close pastry with the help of egg. Then coat the whole thing with egg and into the oven for 20 minutes. (Approximately 400F, preheated)
I sometimes add a chilli pepper to the mince meat to add some heat.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken marinated with lemon zest and rosemary, pan fried until golden, steamed asparagus, and avogolimono sauce. With crusty bread and butter.

asyouwish

Registered
Reaction score
Roasted cauliflower. I've been meaning to do it for days, but now my cauliflower is going bad and I need to cook it stat.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I've had that. It's wonderful stuff. Must find a recipe.

Used up the last of my lemon juice, so I may make more tonight with lime and see if that works. Also, used instant brown rice instead of orzo.

When I'm really ambitious, I make chicken meatballs for it too. And fresh dill is always a must. :)

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I bake my meatballs first to try to cut down on the grease. Lemon juice, black pepper, white wine, a pinch of fenugreek and dill, I add to the mix.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Tonight was a peanut butter sandwich. Bulked up with a side dish of oven-roasted parsnips with a honey-aleppo pepper-apple cider vinegar butter.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken nuggets with home made honey mustard. Next time a little less honey.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kielbasa from a local European meat market, Kramarczuk's and steamed veggies. Kramarczuk's makes almost everything on site and is phenomenally delicious (I had some of their kishka and some mashed potatoes for dinner last night).

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of cajun-crusted tilapia fillets from the grocery, baked, and a sautée of snap peas, snow peas, zucchini and swiss chard from the garden, with a little bit of olive oil and fresh ground pepper.

Took about 20 minutes. Simple, and very nice. My tummy happy.

Now, if we can only get through to the morning without another earthquake.

caw

Qui Amat Scribere

sed qui usquam procrastinates.
Registered
Reaction score
So many amazing dinners described here!

Tonight, I made teriyaki-marinated sirloin with rice and caprese salad (with basil from my little patio garden).

I don't know why I don't make salads more often, since I always feel very satisfied and healthy afterwards. I think I need to work on dissociating 'salad' with 'lettuce' (since I hate lettuce but love most other salad greens, such as spinach).

harmonyisarine

Registered
Reaction score
Chicken stir fry two ways: One with snow peas and bok choy and dark meat, and one with white meat and bok choy and sweet peppers (pandering to allergies and likes/dislikes). It's been ages since I made a good stir fry. I missed them.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Since it's October and the weather here is damp and cool, I pulled out the slow cooker and am making chicken soup with rice. ("Going once, going twice, going chicken soup with rice." --Maurice Sendak)

I'm considering buying a slow cooker, but since I actually have time to cook, I so far didn't. People keep telling me it's quite bland? Truth?

Tonight mushrooms and spinach topped with some gruyère cheese and into the oven it goes :D

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I usually have time to cook, but my MIL didn't want the slow cooker she won so she gave it to me. At first I didn't want to use it until I got my hands on the Better Homes & Gardens So Easy Slow Cooker. The food does turn out very good and only a few slip-ups over the years. You have to add certain ingredients like barley or rice toward the last 30 minutes of cooking time or they turn to mush.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
A local Mexican restaurant claims it is National Taco Day. Ok . . . well, why not. That could decide my dinner plan. On my own this evening . . . take-out tacos + boxing on cable . . . that could work.

(Oh, sure, I could make my own at home . . .)

Oh, and a glass of a nice red wine.

--Ken

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a slow cooker, but since I actually have time to cook, I so far didn't. People keep telling me it's quite bland? Truth?

I've used a slow cooker for years. Bland? If you don't season and spice correctly, of course it will be bland. If you do, it isn't. The thing about doing it right with a slow cooker is that it's NOT THE SAME as stovetop or oven cooking, so you have to experiment to figure out how to get the kind of results you want.
  • Liquids in the pot won't evaporate, for instance, so you probably need to use less of them than you're used to or your food will come out drowned and diluted.
  • The proportions and timing of herbs will change, because some become bitter with long cooking, some loose their potency, some overpower the other ingredients, and some are just fine. (The changes in behavior being most noticeable with fresh herbs.)
  • And if you're cooking meat, don't skip the step where you brown it in a pan before you put it in the slow cooker -- if you don't brown, you will end up with a much blander dish than you expected.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've used a slow cooker for years. Bland? If you don't season and spice correctly, of course it will be bland. If you do, it isn't. The thing about doing it right with a slow cooker is that it's NOT THE SAME as stovetop or oven cooking, so you have to experiment to figure out how to get the kind of results you want.
  • Liquids in the pot won't evaporate, for instance, so you probably need to use less of them than you're used to or your food will come out drowned and diluted.

• The proportions and timing of herbs will change, because some become bitter with long cooking, some loose their potency, some overpower the other ingredients, and some are just fine. (The changes in behavior being most noticeable with fresh herbs.)

• And if you're cooking meat, don't skip the step where you brown it in a pan before you put it in the slow cooker -- if you don't brown, you will end up with a much blander dish than you expected.
Also?

• Don't open the cooker to stir anything unless the recipe says so. You'll lose too much of the heat that's built up and since it's already cooking on such a low temperature, it'll take a loooooong time for that heat to be replaced.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Went to a party last night.

We had
Blanche Poree (rice, cream, orzata, almonds, milk)
Mock Venison Pie (beef, bacon, carrots, onion, burgundy, vinegar, cloves, fennel, caraway)
Mushroom tarts
Stuffed shells
Barley (the bare word does not do justice to this dish)

For dessert,
amygdalopita (almonds, baking powder, butter, eggs, flour, graham crackers, sugar)
apple crisp
brownies
cup cakes
something that tasted like chocolate chip cookie dough topped with fudge
Gingerbread (very old colonial recipe passed down from his g-grandmother)

And oh, so many more wonderful noshes and appetizers. It was so, so, sooooo good.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stir fry with Asian-style barbecue skewer beef (removed from skewers and chopped up), carrots, water chestnuts, peas, and green onion.