So what's for dinner?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's well after dinner time where I live. I had pizza because I was tired and just wanted to get something to eat.

I got the Sicilian pepperoni.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bison liver and onions tonight, I think. With mashed potatos and three-peppercorn gravy.

A co-worker of my hubby's raises bison and was just throwing the liver and heart away when they slaughtered because they thought nobody would want it. We chimed in to say we'd take all they had. Half a freezer later...

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Way to go, BardSkye. We, too, have a freezer full of...meat? I know for a fact that we have elk, bison, antelope and venison. Oh, and beef. And chicken. Oh...and moose. Yes, I said moose. My uncle hunts a lot in the mountains. Oh, and we have turkey, too, that I raise myself.

Pretty much, if it walks, we will kill and eat it.

Tonight is pizza, because it is quick and easy and we are leaving for the weekend, heading out tomorrow am and have to pack tonight.

Last night was elk steak, steamed broccoli, and wild rice w/ mushrooms. Yummy.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I were a good person, perhaps I would tell him liver and heart and such would go over with a big bang in the Asian markets here in the city. People fresh in from very poor countries don't waste anything even remotely edible (and make some very tasty dishes from it, too).

But market research isn't really my field, and I'm selfish when it comes to free meat.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I can't say I've ever really liked liver, but I am very much in favour of raising and killing my own animals. I would rather know they had a good life before I ate them than lived in some hell like battery chickens.

Just another reason I'm desperate to escape the suburbs.

A friend of ours is a pig farmer and he gives us pork chops that look like something out of the flintstones. They won't even fit on a plate :D

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Yummy! That sort of makes my frozen pizza sound gross, Millicent.

Overtired, you and I agree on so much! But I raise my own stuff not so that I will know it had a good life (it does, here on the farm) but because I am phobic of antibiotics and growth hormones, and all the other crap they put in our food. Really...read the label on the meat you buy, next time. They inject it...up to a 10% solution...with 'flavor enhancers'. WTF?

Okay, wrong thread to go off on this, I know.

Anyway, like I said, frozen pizza tonight. Yes, organic. And yes, yetch.

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
Is it bad of me to admit to eating a bag of cashews and a bag of dried cranberries for dinner? The kids wanted pasta. I'm gluten intolerant. The husband's out of town. And those cashews were yummy. Really, I only wanted a couple, but now the bag is empty and I'm full.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I made myself a fried egg, and put that on top of a toasted half sliced pitta bread. On top of this was feta cheese salad leftover from last night, with pumpin seeds. As a side had a bit of spaghetti, with pesto. Made up for a truly delicious lunch! :)

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Chicken with sweet potatoes and green peas in an African sauce (store bought), served over brown rice. Green salad (romaine, cucumber, tomato, celery, carrots). That's if my hubby is coming home.

If not, I'm going to have a small beef steak (French style - pan fried in a little butter with lots of capers), salad and some tiny potatoes cooked with the steak.

Tonight I had part of a chicken pizza with a garlic white sauce (lots of red peppers & onions). Yumm!

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Boneless, Skinless chicken breasts marinated in milk and herbs, dredged in Bisquik cheddar cheese biscuit mix and deep fried.

Jasmine Rice

Gravy made with left over dredging mix, milk and herbs, ham bullion.

Creamed corn with butter

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Wow. I just ate and you guys are making me hungry.

I bought a grill today, so supper tonight was grilled corn on the cob, marinated pork loin, sourdough bread, and fresh pineapple.

Don't know about tomorrow, yet. Probably something grilled, again.

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
Jodiodi, that sounds so yum!

Wannawrite, I love grilled corn on the cob! Hubby and I used to pull out all the silk, peel back the leaves, baste corn in garlic butter, push the leaves back over it and throw it on the barbeque. So good!

Last night I made beef and beer casserole with chive dumplings. They were supposed to be parsley dumplings, but I'm out of parsley. First time I've made dumplings, and they weren't too bad. Filling though, we were stuffed!

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I make southern Chicken and Dumplings every now and then. My grandmothers were both excellent cooks. I remember I loved to roll out the dumplings and they'd cut them, then I'd drop them in the chicken stock. When we were in AK, my husband's soldiers always asked if I'd make Chicken and Dumplings whenever they'd come over. I use buttermilk to make them, just like Grandma and Granny. I also make my own stock and use boneless, skinless chicken breasts I've sauteed to cut up into the dumplings.

Last night I used MorningStar Farms ground beef substitute, sauteed it with green onions and artichoke hearts, then stirred in some cream of mushroom soup and shredded cheese and served it over spagetti noodles.

We go to the grocery store this week. Thank GOD! I'm running out of things to create meals with. It's like playing Iron Chef whenever I go into the kitchen to find something to cook.

I ate boiled peanuts today tha I found in the freezer. I think they've been there at least 4 years.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
We're having one of the hindlegs of the boar pig we butchered last week, marinated in beer and then roasted over the marinade to which was added diced Napa, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Celery, Onion, Garlic and some homemade porkstock. The veggies and meat juice will be thickened with Cous Cous. There's also a side of steamed carrots.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Now I really wish I didn't work nights, I always miss having yummy dinners.

Tonight I had...some leftover salad, a yogurt, and fruit snacks. Not very exciting but that's all we had in the fridge for me to pilfer.

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Tonight I tried to grill garlic/herb marinated chicken breasts, but the grill went out and I ended up finishing them off in the skillet. We had lemon scented broccoli and wild rice alongside. It was yummy.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
A 'ground beef substitute' is from MorningStar Farms--it's textured vegetable protein which looks--and pretty much tastes--like ground beef. I had no actual meat in the house and found this stuff in the freezer so I used it. My husband didn't realize it wasn't real beef. If you're not used to it, the texture may take you by surprise, but it's really good, imo.

I've been using the MorningStar farms stuff for years 'cause it's lower in calories, fat and cholesterol than real meat. Plus, sometimes I just don't want to eat a dead animal.

BardSkye

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got the quartet coming to practise tomorrow night and was going to make chili, but hubby says he doesn't want chili. Instead we'll stop by the halal meat store and get a leg of lamb. Not sure what I want to go with it yet.

Then I'll make an old standard of mine: Boston Cream Pie, from scratch.

Reactions: Sweetleaf