So what's for dinner?

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Leftover smorgasbord.

Kids are having pasta and their choice of hot dog or fish (one of each in the fridge)
Hubs and I are having taco salad - left over taco meat, salsa, and shredded melted cheese over the broken taco shells left in the box.

Oooo... 'Citing stuff, huh?

Oh yeah, homemade fudge brownies for dessert. :D

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Mo' fried fish. For a side, tried my first jalapeno poppers...here's something fun - when you scrape out the seeds, dump 'em in the egg wash (or batter, depending on your deep fry skill and preferences). It makes for a nice spicy element. Also had some leftover sweet and sour sauce instead of tartare. Oh, my stomach is happy (if slightly queasy).

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished the most delicious microwave pasta I've ever prepared. So take that, you poor losers with mediocre microwave pastas! :wag:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm not sure yet but I'm about 100% sure I won't be cooking it.

SweetSolitude

Enjoying the peace and quiet
Registered
Reaction score
Homemade navy bean soup with mixed-grain dinner rolls.

The recipe for the rolls is titled Five-Grain Oaty Buns. I can't quite figure out why because it only uses three grains: wheat, corn and oats. I've made them before and they are delicious. I am looking forward to having the leftover rolls for breakfast tomorrow with Seville orange marmalade and Earl Grey tea.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Nothing says summer like frying a whole bird. :D No, I didn't eat the whole thing today :eek: just had a chicken wrap, but I've got lunch for a couple weeks ready (for just a few bucks, too). That's awesome!

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Last night we had

Top sirloin - Got a nice little two pack from Aldi for $5
Instant mashed potatoes - Heavily altered with more butter than is good for us
Stawberry applesauce - from Aldi, very delicious

And for my steak, I cut up some onion, sauted them with butter, garlic and parsley slather on top of the meat. It sure was tasty.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
There's some variant of Ratatouille in my crock pot at the moment. And a baguette waiting to be turned into very garlicky garlic bread.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Gonna cook up a pound of whole wheat penne, heat up a couple big cans of chili (1 hot + 1 mild = medium), stir it all together and shower each serving generously with pepperjack cheese.

We call it Chuckwagon Penne.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Last night we had leftover "That" soup. It's one of the few soups that my wife likes and is my take on a cross between French Onion, Muligatawney, Sweet and Sour, Egg drop and wonton soups.

There was about one serving each of leg of lamb and leg of pig in the fridge, but we were to have 6 people eat. We minced the meats separately in the food processor and added our house blend of spices (fresh ground bay, ancho, cumin and white pepper along with a nice dose of garlic) to each. To the lamb we added ricotta cheese and to the pork (which received 2/3 of the spice blend) we added cream cheese and made the wontons. which were added to the soup only about 10 minutes before serving.

The soup base was 2 large caramelized onions and celery to which were added 2 quarts of home canned pork stock and some minced leftover broccoli and carrots along with some extra florets of broccoli. The broccoli stems and 2 more large carrots were peeled lengthwise to make them into noodles. Simmer the noodles for 10 minutes. Stir in two large chicken eggs. Add the wontons, cover and turn off the heat and wait 10 minutes or so before serving. I added just a touch of rice vinegar as well as some kosher salt.

The soup had a good flavor on its own, but the pork wontons were like bites of soft tacos and the lamb ones were like bites of a greek version of non-tomato lasagna, which I seem to never be able to remember the name of.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
There was about one serving each of leg of lamb and leg of pig in the fridge, but we were to have 6 people eat. We minced the meats separately in the food processor and added our house blend of spices (fresh ground bay, ancho, cumin and white pepper along with a nice dose of garlic) to each. To the lamb we added ricotta cheese and to the pork (which received 2/3 of the spice blend) we added cream cheese and made the wontons. which were added to the soup only about 10 minutes before serving.

The soup base was 2 large caramelized onions and celery to which were added 2 quarts of home canned pork stock and some minced leftover broccoli and carrots along with some extra florets of broccoli. The broccoli stems and 2 more large carrots were peeled lengthwise to make them into noodles. Simmer the noodles for 10 minutes. Stir in two large chicken eggs. Add the wontons, cover and turn off the heat and wait 10 minutes or so before serving. I added just a touch of rice vinegar as well as some kosher salt.

That sounds interesting. I may take a whack at it myself.

Last night I made a bisteeya, a moroccan chicken pie wrapped in phyllo dough. It was very north african: cumin, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, cloves, parsley, cilantro, chopped chicken, chicken stock, onions.

The flavors were good and it presented well, but I was so worried about it being too wet for the phyllo that I got the meat mix a little too dry. Also, the recipe I was working from didn't mention raisins (the one in the link does). I'd definitely throw in few raisins or maybe apple chunks next time. It was pretty good and not a lot of trouble--I'll probably take another whack at it at some point.

P.S. - moussaka?

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Thursday night is Curry Night, so we ate out.

Decided to go for Beef Madras, rather than the usual Chicken Jalfrezi. With Poppadoms, naan bread, rice, mango chutney AND a drink = £4.99

So stick that in your value for money and smoke it! :D

JoeEkaitis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A batch of spaghetti sauce made from San Marzano plum tomatoes and hot Italian sausage is simmering in a slow cooker on the counter. When I get home from work, the sausage will be fished out and the sauce will be pureed into a velvety marinara which will be enjoyed with whole wheat spaghetti showered liberally with Parmigiano Reggiano.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I have these little angel hair pasta nests I bought at the Giant Tiger, and I've been trying to figure out what to do with them.

So tonight, I'm taking some shrimp and sauteeing them with some tomato, some butter and white wine, and some parsley, putting it with the pasta and yum! I'll serve it with some French bread, and LOTS of wine. I'll need the wine as we're going to watch the election results from the Seattle station.

JoeEkaitis

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eight quarter-pound meatballs are simmering in San Marzano marinara sauce in a slow cooker on the counter. Four will be enjoyed with whole wheat spaghetti this evening. The remaining four will make a triumphant encore later in the week in open-face meatball sandwiches made with toasted sourdough Boule rolls, sliced provolone, marinara sauce and a generous showering of Parmigiano Reggiano.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Skirt steak with peppers and garlic shrimp. A new cuban place just opened up down the road from the office and it's phenomenal. Cheap, too. I plan to never eat anywhere else ever again.