Share Your Successes!

JamesTMorrow

Registered
Reaction score
This. Having one sale a month can be a success. Finishing a novel can be a success. I really do not believe we are competing with one another as much as we are defining what success is for our particular journey and then doing all we can to touch, and hold onto, that brass ring.

My goals may seem low compared to other people's, but they are mine and they are just as valid as anyone else's. I join in the celebration of all our successes!

So very true merrihiatt!

I recently (5 months ago) left the company where I was an accountant for 7+ years, and 15+ in the industry, to spend time at home with my young children while my wife returned to the workforce.

Reading was something that disappeared from my life, except for the tax laws, business news, financial reports, etc. Some family members had Kindles and I checked them out and bought one as it was quite handy and plenty of selection.

The rush of reading and writing has come back to me from hibernation during all those years in the business world. I have been drowning in story ideas and look forward to September, when both of my kids will be in school all day so that I can have some serious writing time. I am writing when I can, but also trying to read some current fiction. "Me" time isn't easy with 3 and 5 year olds.

My idea of success at the moment would be to finish something, be it a short or novel, and publish it with "rave" reviews. If I get to that point, then my carrot will move further, just as it does for everyone.

Most important is to not let the cart get in front of the horse.

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Thanks, Nick. I hope three doesn't disappoint. I suspect your review and kind comments on your blog have led some of your own followers to the series. I had a definite upswing in sales the past couple of weeks that I think is mainly from your support. I appreciate it so very much.

I've downloaded BIG LAKE but haven't started it yet (still catching up on Nevil Shute's books that are in eBook format).

JamesTMorrow, don't worry. The stories won't run away. They'll just simmer in the back of your consciousness until you're ready to go and then should start to flow for you when you're ready to work.

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think any of your books could ever disappoint, Beverly. We were having lunch with friends in Prescott, Arizona a few days ago and they have both become hooked on Black Knights. The husband was sure the author was a man, because of the careful attention to detail to the historical events and military scenes, while the wife knew it was a woman because of how well the romantic scenes were crafted.

I hope you enjoy Big Lake. I am working hard on book three in the Big Lake series.

EngineerTiger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Thanks for telling me about your friends, Nick. That tells me I hit it right down the baseline of historical fiction as I hoped I had. Not too much romance and not too much war fiction.

Back to my research. 1917 is heating up!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Sitting here and wondering how in the heck this happened. Of course I'm super delighted, if not a little stunned. I'm sure the feeling will wear off as soon as the rush is finished, or whatever has happened. But I'm proud to announce that my short prequel, Planet Janitor The Moon is not Enough, hit Amazon's top 100 best seller list today. It's never happened before, not even really come close. It's always been the book that's popped in and out of the list, dozens of times.

So, I'm very happy with this minor victory, since it's the first short story I've written in seven years, and at least, it has appealed to somebody.

Tri:snoopy:

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful news Tri. I'm thrilled for you!

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I think that's called karma. Love it when I get to see it come around for the good guys. Sort of like when someone flies by you on the freeway going 100 mph, then you see them sitting alongside the road with a police officer being given a ticket. Only flipped in a good way, of course!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so pleased for you, Tri. That's great news. Well done!

I wonder: do you all think that a "set your goals" thread would be helpful? I love this thread, but I worry that some people might be intimidated by it, as so many of you are doing so very well. Not that I'm criticising anyone here: I'm really pleased for you all; but there. If anyone thinks it might be a good idea feel free to start it.

EngineerTiger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Oh, Tri, how absolutely wonderful! I'm very happy for you.

Old Hat, that is a great idea. I know I'm still a bit intimidated at times, too, and it's a good idea to remind everyone that we're all at different stages of this adventure. We all write in different genres, as well, so it's difficult to compare experiences on a strictly sales perspective.

JoyceH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
joyceharmon.wordpress.com
Sitting here and wondering how in the heck this happened. Of course I'm super delighted, if not a little stunned. I'm sure the feeling will wear off as soon as the rush is finished, or whatever has happened. But I'm proud to announce that my short prequel, Planet Janitor The Moon is not Enough, hit Amazon's top 100 best seller list today.

Woo-hoo! Congrats! I just pubbed my second mystery this week, and I'm still checking my stats and waiting to see when my own RELATIVES are going to buy the darn thing.

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
Sitting here and wondering how in the heck this happened. Of course I'm super delighted, if not a little stunned. I'm sure the feeling will wear off as soon as the rush is finished, or whatever has happened. But I'm proud to announce that my short prequel, Planet Janitor The Moon is not Enough, hit Amazon's top 100 best seller list today. It's never happened before, not even really come close. It's always been the book that's popped in and out of the list, dozens of times.

So, I'm very happy with this minor victory, since it's the first short story I've written in seven years, and at least, it has appealed to somebody.

OMG <3 Tri! That's awesome lemme add to that snoopy with MORE SNOOPY!

:snoopy:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Maybe someone can answer this: My (first) prequel short has been listed free on Amazon for over three weeks (continuously) , and it's getting downloads every day. My publisher was also aghast at this, and suggested the reason why it's stuck in free mode is because Kobo has it on free status, therefore Amazon will not be upstaged, so they continue to list it as free also.

I've never heard of or seen this before. Of course, it's totally awesome, but I wonder if the title could be stuck in a tech glitch somehow.

Has this happened to anyone else out there?

tri:Shrug:

Nick Russell

Registered
Reaction score
If it is free somewhere else Amazon will match that price every time.

Wesley Kang

the Light of Dawn
Registered
Reaction score
That is great news Nick! Running out of ways to say "congrats" to you. :) But thank you for sharing. I think this is my favoritest thread ever. Gives us dreamers a solid bit of hope. :)

EngineerTiger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Nick, that's terrific. I still have your first one to read but right now I'm wading through AMERICAN CAESAR. Research must come before pleasure reading.