The Casual Vacancy - JK Rowling - possible spoilers

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen this attitude before - that dark and gritty are synonomous with reality. Bullshit.

Dark and gritty do exist, but to imply that reality is all dark, gritty, selfish, greedy, and evil is just as ridiculous as thinking that reality is all sweetness and light.

Or, as Christopher Derrick memorably wrote, shit-colored glasses create a fiction every bit as unrealistic as rose-colored glasses.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Anywho.

I am going to earn undying pop culture fame by writing the first great Casual Vacancy fanfic. Here is the synopsis:

The town of Pagford is actually inhabited entirely by the Death Eaters who survived Voldemort's fall. While they plot the rise of a new Dark Lord, they pretend to be boring, venal, grubby Muggles, and so far the Ministry of Magic has overlooked them.

"Barry Fairweather" is actually Lucius Malfoy, and he's alive and well. His death was staged so he could go into deep cover to train a brilliant apprentice, one who bids fair to replace and surpass Voldemort, who, let's face it, was pretty lame for an evil overlord.

The identity of the Chosen One will someday shock the wizarding world -- outraged and disillusioned by the underwhelming death of his beloved brother in The Deathly Hollows, George Weasley has decided to give free reign to his Inner Naughtiness and go over to the Dark Arts!

Look on his works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen this attitude before - that dark and gritty are synonomous with reality. Bullshit.

Dark and gritty do exist, but to imply that reality is all dark, gritty, selfish, greedy, and evil is just as ridiculous as thinking that reality is all sweetness and light.

People exist in all forms and all flavors. Nobody's perfect, of course, not even my wife, who comes closest, but lack of perfection does not equate to nasty and vicious.

In exploring the dark side of humanity, the question for me, is always, why?

For those who've read the book, what is the answer to that question? Why did JK write this book?*

If I hear a good enough reason I'll take a look, otherwise, meh.

*no, it's not a 'how long is a piece of string' question. this is quite a specific type of story, with specific type of characters, in a specific setting. PS. In anything anyone writes there is a reason, an underlying possibly unconscious reason, but a reason nonetheless. And a novel reflects that. It reflects the author's psyche one way or another - and it reflects an author's integrity, authenticity, sincerity or lack therein. Truth in a novel is not required to obtain commercial success, but it is required for that novel to resonate and gain strong affection from a reader. The 'truth' may apparently simply be 'laughter is good', or 'play is love', or 'lies are damaging' or more complex 'not all good actions produce good results', 'there is no black or white in moral decisions'. (complexity and simplicity are descriptions here only). The only measure of validity, for me, is whether Casual Vacancy resonates a truth or not. In exploring the underclass or hate or cruelty does JK offer a truth? Personally, in my judgement, seeing her in different interviews I'm making a judgement call and say I would imagine no, she doesn't. But if someone tells me they found a truth, that the novel resonated a truth for them, then I'll definitely buy it and read it. Until then, my personal instincts tell me she's playing with a fire she barely understands.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
For me, very little of it rang true. It was cliches based on stereotypes. There was little that was real in it.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After what you people just said I'm definitely going to read it (when I'm done with other things). It sounds interesting.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
In exploring the dark side of humanity, the question for me, is always, why?

For those who've read the book, what is the answer to that question? Why did JK write this book?*

I haven't read it so I won't venture a specific answer on the "truth" of it, but I can conjecture on her motivation, presumptious as I am!

The big question is, where would she go after HP? What more would she want? What goal to achieve with her writing? She's already won all the devotion and financiial gain any author could possibly want. Did she really write it "just for herself", as she claims? If that is so, why publish under her own name? Why publish at all? And why THIS book, almost the antithesis of HP

My completely unqualified theory is this: the next goal, the goal that almost all of us secretly want as writers, is literary recognition and acclaim. A prize, preferably the Booker.
There. I said it. Nothing wrong in that goal! I have it too!

In JKR's case, I think she was trying to write a very literary book, which for some people is by definition rather dull, understated cover, title and blurb, much characterization, little plot, very dark, very taboo-breaking, and lots of social commentary.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
In JKR's case, I think she was trying to write a very literary book, which for some people is by definition rather dull, understated cover, title and blurb, much characterization, little plot, very dark, very taboo-breaking, and lots of social commentary.

I agree, and unfortunately for Rowling, it is the literary critics that have shredded it to bits.

I picked it up in Waterstone's and read the first chapter, and just felt confused. One minute the character was having a meal, then he's dead on the pavement? Not a fan of the omni-present telling like 'it was all very exciting,' either. I put the book down and bought Lindsey Davis' new book instead.

And I also agree with Miranda. I grew up on a council estate, my primary school was closed by Labour for 'failing,' and work with people with severe mental disabilities for the NHS, and I do not recognize the people that Rowling writes about . . . except in the Daily Mail or 'Shameless.'

On the contrary, there is a lot of humanity and warmth to be found, which Rowling has failed to acknowledge.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Or, as Christopher Derrick memorably wrote, shit-colored glasses create a fiction every bit as unrealistic as rose-colored glasses.

Agree with Aruna :)

I don't plan to read this novel. I'm not big on unlikeable characters and depressing books.

Allynegirl

Wax the Cat
Registered
Reaction score
I find that when I am reading it I am interested in reading it. I have found her storytelling is good enough to bring me in. Unfortunately, when I have to put the book down and do something else, there is nothing about the book that makes me want to pick it back up and read it; the plot, the characters -- nothing, just that it is what I am currently reading.

After getting through 70+ pages, I have decided to return it to the library unfinished. Pity.

tmesis

bibbidi bobbidi boo
Registered
Reaction score

In my opinion* she was trying to be honest about some of the bad sides of modern British society and human nature more generally. I do think the book is honest. Not comprehensive, because no one can be completely objective about their own prejudices, but honest all the same.

I disagree with aruna that she was trying for literary fiction, purely because if that were true then it's a bafflingly poor attempt. The book is actually very straightforward.

Some of the papers over here have been claiming that she's got political motives. But though she publicly supports Labour and the book's not terribly sympathetic to conservative ideals, I don't think that's it either. I honestly think she just wrote the book she wanted to write.

Who knows, maybe she did a 'Producers' thing and wanted it to flop?

*My opinion might be wrong.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly think she just wrote the book she wanted to write.

Well if that's true - as the book has been a commericial success, but critical flop - it's interesting that she has announced the next book will be children's fiction.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I think it was always going to be a commercial success purely because of who she is. I know I bought it out of curiosity. And I wouldn't buy the next 'adult' book she writes.

But I was puzzled when I went into Waterstones 3 days after it launched and it was already half price.

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
figaroooooooooooooo

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
In my opinion* she was trying to be honest about some of the bad sides of modern British society and human nature more generally. I do think the book is honest. Not comprehensive, because no one can be completely objective about their own prejudices, but honest all the same.

Honest, from her perspective. Maybe she only sees the nastiness in people. That doesn't make it true that all people really are nasty, or that people with nastiness are ONLY nasty. Seems that it's the fact that there are NO redeeming qualities in her characters that puts people off most.
And that is just not true. People DO have redeeming qualities,and that's what's I like about fiction -- we can find good sides to bad characters, and vice versa. All bad is just as boring -- to me -- as all good.

I disagree with aruna that she was trying for literary fiction, purely because if that were true then it's a bafflingly poor attempt. The book is actually very straightforward.
Well, a lot of authors who don't have the benefit of honest critiques think what they have written is brilliant. Who would really dare tell JKR that her book is a "bafflingly poor attempt" at literary fiction? WHo would dare edit her? Maybe she thinks it is brilliant. And quite a lot of reviews, both in media and on amazon or goodreads, say that it IS brilliant, a masterpiece, a thought-provoking study of character or social commentary. The reviews are really split to both extremes.

I don't think it's a flop. It's just not the runaway success people were expecting.

*My opinion might be wrong.
It's all opinion here, and we might all be wrong; no worries! Only she really knows why she wrote and what she expected. But it's fun to speculate!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Tired Mod Note:

I'm not sure why ANYONE'S arguing with ANYONE. It seems pointless and really close to crossing the RYFW line.

Knock it off, please. Either we discuss Casual Vacancy civilly or I can lock the thread.

ETA: Off-topic posts have gone to the Landfill. Please return to the book under discussion. Thanks.

Last edited:

Snuggles

Back Again!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Picked up the book last night, read till page 40 and gave it up. The characters are too gray for me, like caricatures, not the multifaceted people you actually meet in real life. I was disappointed in the book. (I am a HP fan though, loved the story, the writing was too detailed and verbose occasionally.)
I will be picking up the book again, some time in the near future, because I absolutely hate to leave a book half read. But it isn't drawing me in. :(

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I absolutely hate to leave a book half read. But it isn't drawing me in. :(

Me too or I'd have put it down long ago. I'm on page 250 and still waiting to care about someone, anyone, in this story. I'll slog on through to the end, although I'm casting longing looks at the next book in my reading pile. I don't mind dark, nasty characters in a story but the whole cast seems tepidly grubby - not one true character I can love to hate or love to love. It's pretty disappointing.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read the book yet, but I have read a bunch of casual reviews and I just want to point out that not nearly every reader shares the impression that all the characters are horrible/scum/whatever. The people who like the book seem to feel that, while you start off not liking the characters very much, they do grow over the course of the novel. You still might not like them by the end, but it's certainly not a universal impression that all the characters are relentlessly horrible.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that The Casual Vacancy seems to be a kind of black-humor novel. When an entire novel is written in a humorous vein, it's very difficult to avoid a certain level of caricaturing, of exaggeration, and perhaps even over-simplification. Geniuses/prodigies may be able to transcend these genre limitations to an extent, and Rowling, in my opinion, is neither. But that doesn't mean she's not a very good writer that's worth reading.

I'll certainly be checking the book out eventually.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I honestly didn't see the humour in the book. There is the odd little bit that would have been funny, maybe. But for me, it wasn't.

And I can think of maybe one bit of character growth in the one of the teenage girls. But that comes out of the melodramatic ending so didn't sit right with me.

Obviously this is all just my opinion as someone who has read the book and disliked it.

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
Casual Vacancy 50% off cover price, stacked high next to the Halloween candy at the Krogers grocery store

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I read the preview on my Kindle and didn't buy it yet. I might.

How much sex is there in there? I know the teen was talking about some stuff, but does it actually get into sex?

I was having a hard time identifying with anyone.