Cell phone doesn't work indoors

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
In your collective experience, does a metal roof interfere with mobile phone reception? Any other building material that would make a dramatic difference?

My aunt's phone reception, and particularly her data functionality, seems not to work inside, but all's well as soon as she steps outside.

Anyone have any experience with this phenomenon?

Last edited:

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
I work about 50 feet away from the closest exterior wall (made of concrete), with several wood/sheet-rock walls in between. My previous cell phone (on a different service provider network) had no reception when I was at my desk. I would have to walk about a hundred feet away from the building to get reception (my guess is that the closest cell tower was on the other side, hence the signal was still trying to go 'through' the concrete walls).

Don't know about metal roofs. At my local grocery store I'd have great service out in the parking lot, step inside, and it goes to zero again.

ETA: Since getting a new phone and different service provider I have reception at my desk.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have this issue only because I am on the ground floor inside a very large apartment building. Normal building materials should not effect this unless the coverage in your area is already very marginal.

Silenia

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Cellular signals are radio-frequency signals and thus are hindered by the same things other RF signals are hindered by.

As far as building materials go, metal and concrete are among the worst, but all construction metals have some impact.

(As can, for that matter, trees, hills, mountains. A lot of things (partially) absorb, distort or deflect RF.)

One other issue that could be part of the problem is that other devices' signals sometimes interfere with cell-phones (and the other way around).

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Could very well be the metal roof. Our house in the mountains has one. Inside we have little to no cell reception. As soon as we step out on the deck, voila!

MM

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And yet on some areas most roofs are metal and most cell phone still work fine. I think with proper tower coverage a metal roof is no problem.

The first cell phone I ever bought was technically in a covered zone but I got no indoor reception partly due to the house being in a gully. I returned it for a full refund.

Last edited:

Silenia

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's undoubtedly not the only issue, but it can make the difference between "more-or-less acceptable signal" and "no reception at all".

What also plays a large role is the exact line in which the signal has to travel. If it has to go straight through the metal roof, two concrete floors and a load-bearing wall or two, it's going to be significantly more problematic than if it only has to travel through said roof.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
And yet on some areas most roofs are metal and most cell phone still work fine. I think with proper tower coverage a metal roof is no problem.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I have metal roofs on all the buildings and get great service. From miles away I can see the cell towers. Others in our tiny burg may get spotty coverage regardless of their roof types.

I think there's a booster that she could put on her roof or out a window to get better coverage. One gal here in town did that and it worked for her.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
In your collective experience, does a metal roof interfere with mobile phone reception? Any other building material that would make a dramatic difference?

My aunt's phone reception, and particularly her data functionality, seems not to work inside, but all's well as soon as she steps outside.

Anyone have any experience with this phenomenon?

Some older types of brick have a rather significant lead content to them. They will block signals.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
It also depends on what else is in the building, walls, or surroundings, and what kind of phone you have. Where I work, they are all-metal buildings, lots of electrical wiring, machinery, etc. There are exactly 3 places inside where some of us can get reception - and yet there are others who can get reception almost anywhere.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Most phones I have had over the years have had problems with indoor reception until I switched to Verizon. I have less problems and I can even claim not to lose my signals in elevators and the Baltimore Harbor Tunnels... I think with the tunnel its because Verizon has installed something in the tunnels to help.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Yep. All the time when I had a bottom-tier (ie. cheap) T-Mobile account. Often I had to go outside and walk across the yard to get a usable signal.

Neighbor with an expensive T-Mobile account had no problem in the exact same spots.

The low-end accounts are effectively throttled -- last in line when it comes to getting use of the signal. I'd get one or two bars, but my neighbor would get 4 or 5 bars in the same spot.

So throttled signal plus any interference (the chicken wire behind the stucco and plaster in my house was evidently enough) equaled complete shit service.

There are spots in the local Costco where some cellphones (mostly on AT&T) get no service -- ironically one such spot is the cellphone sales booth!

I bought a cellphone booster -- I see they now have a wireless model suitable for a home environment. Anyway, where I lived last year, everyone who wasn't standing directly under the firechief's repeater tower got ZERO service. But with the booster, I got one or two bars (probably pulled it from the repeater tower, half a mile away)... and that was with their cheapest model, $75 at Radio Shack, and a phone with generally shit reception. -- Incidentally the in-vehicle model gets power via a USB port, so it can be used indoors too.

Last edited:

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I've got what I suppose is low-end T-Mobile (pay as you go); my friend has all the bells and whistles subscription T-Mobile. She has more problems with reception than I do. ?

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
The hardware is a factor too.

I had a low-end smartphone that had the most shit reception you can have without getting none at all. I could be standing right under the tower and I'd get maybe 3 or 4 bars. Now I have a $12 retard-phone and it has really good reception, often when others are poor. What I've been told about this, is that nowadays some cellphones don't have much of an antenna. (And no longer have external antenna jacks, either.)

My sister's old phone was great, it was always the last man standing in any reception contest, but the newer one her office decided to get everyone has about half the reception power. Same account, locations, and service. Both are iPhones... so it even varies in the same brand and grade.

I have a really ancient (late 1990s) Nokia phone that also had good reception even in poor areas.

Last edited:

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
The other thing to consider is what spectrum your carrier has in your area. The US has two main frequency bands, one around 850MHz and another at 1900MHz, as well as 1700 and 2100MHz.

AT&T and Verizon have most of the 850MHz spectrum, and Verizon has also got some 4G on 750MHz, and AT&T on 700MHz. T-Mobile currently has nothing below 1700MHz.

Higher frequencies give you more bandwidth, which reduces data congestion, but they don't penetrate buildings as well as the lower frequencies. In general, T-Mobile's going to give you worse indoor service (all else being equal) than other carriers.

Taejang

Why not?
Registered
Reaction score
It would be wonderful if we could make it so cell phones didn't function inside a moving vehicle.
Droid Turbo detects when it is in a car and changes to a different operating mode (hands-free, speakerphone only, voice activated). I figure that is the first step; only a matter of time, now.

<Entire post>
<Entire post>

To summarize others' thoughts and add some more, in no particular order:
1) The placement of the building (mostly elevation and the surrounding elevation) matters.

2) Absorption of signals. The building materials of anything between you and the closest tower broadcasting your service matters (if two towers are close and one is "your" company's, your phone defaults to that tower, even if the other company's tower has better signal). Concrete absorbs, as does lead. Human bodies also absorb signals.

(Diffraction can sometimes allow a signal to go around an object instead of getting absorbed by it, too. In this case, the signal doesn't penetrate the building at all.)

3) The phone design plays a huge role in cell reception. Inside each phone is an antenna; bad antenna, bad service. Research your phone before buying!

4) Anything that interferes with RF matters. Think anything wireless- some TV removes, remote controlled toys, wireless routers, wireless landline phones, any other cellphone used as a hotspot, etc etc. Other things can also directly interfere, such as poorly-shielded microwaves.

Most of these are *almost always* not a problem (because their frequencies are different), but I mentioned it for the sake of completeness. And yes, I've actually seen microwaves trash the signals from a cheap wireless router.

5) Your service matters. The frequencies used are different between companies, as is tower placement. Because a company will buy existing towers, particularly during a merger, that company's towers may have different hardware in one area than in another area, further complicating matters.

6) The weather matters. High temperatures, lightning, and very high humidity can all directly affect radio waves, while wind, snow, and ice can affect towers.

7) Reflection. Snow, ice, water (lakes, pools, oceans, a glass of water), glass, metal, certain plastics, and other materials can all reflect radio waves. If a cell tower's radio waves are reflected, the waves can actually cancel themselves out, leading to dead zones. (Commonly experienced as "my phone doesn't work here, but if I move it two feet I have three bars". Reflection is not the only way to get that phenomenon, but it is one way.)

Usually, radio waves don't reflect enough to disappear entirely, and cancelling out is always a localized issue, but reflecting will cause the signal to degrade. This means a better antenna (in a better phone, for example) may get signal because it can pick up the weaker signal.

8) Refraction. Light refracts in water (place one end of a pencil into a glass of water and see how the pencil seems to shift to a new location under the surface; the light has refracted). Radio waves do this, too. Refraction indices don't usually shift abruptly in places radio waves go, but they can change slightly, resulting in a bending of the signal across distances.

There are more, but that's enough of the big ones. Any single thing can kill a signal, but usually it is a combination of factors.

Last edited:

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
3) The phone design plays a huge role in cell reception. Inside each phone is an antenna; bad antenna, bad service. Research your phone before buying!

Great post. To add to the above, couple days ago I was talking with a phone tech guy who seems to really know his shit, and he said what's happened as cellphones get bigger, is that they just make the antenna the length of the phone (instead of wrapping it around inside or having an external, that miracle of the past) and the blunt fact is it's no longer enough antenna for marginal areas.

<feels urge to dysmangle a bunch of dead cellphones>

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've had cellphones that didn't work in supermarkets because of the metal girders that made up the ceiling. I've had several cellphones that if I went in our basement I'd lose the call because of the piping. And right now, my building is like a big Faraday Cage, the floors are deck plate and all the a/c and electrical wiring run through them. I can't get phone service, or internet. And that's held true for my LG phone, my Samsung Galaxy, my iPhone, and now my droid.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
We have a movie theater in town where no cell phone works. It's a very old building, and the ceiling all the walls are lined with metal.

But we also have a hospital here where cell phones don't work. They intentionally block the signal, though.

And there's a roughly half a square mile area about three miles from town where there is no cell phone reception, and no one can figure out why. It's not too big a deal because no one lives on that property, but it's puzzling, to say the least. There's a cell phone tower within sight, but still no reception.

Sometimes there seems to be no good reason why you get reception one place, but not another.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
That reminds me of a spot behind where I lived near the Belgrade MT airport. Every time there was a thunderstorm, this little dent in the ground (maybe 20 feet across and 2 feet deep) would get struck by lightning repeatedly. Nothing there, no special reason for it, just a pasture, so WTF? Meanwhile, the radio tower half a mile west seemed immune.