Starting a sentence with an -ing verb

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't work. Staring at the ignition won't start the car unless you have telekinetic powers. Such sentences almost never make sense.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Writing well is rarely a matter of following rules.

:D

Writing well is seldom a matter of breaking the rules, either. If you do break a rule, you'd darned sure better know the rule inside out, and have a good reason for breaking it. Otherwise, you won't be writing well.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writing well is rarely a matter of following rules.

Staring at the ignition and starting the car is a fun exercise in telekinesis. I would be impressed.

Good one, Mike :D

Breaking the rules can be fun, too...

I familiarize myself with the rules and then decide on a case by case basis whether or not I want to flaunt them or not.

Okay, I give up in the face of all you scholars. Not beginning a sentence with an "ing" word is a rule . . . but so I can break, bend, and otherwise mutilate it, as well, please cite the grammar authority. :ty:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writing well is seldom a matter of breaking the rules, either. If you do break a rule, you'd darned sure better know the rule inside out, and have a good reason for breaking it. Otherwise, you won't be writing well.

Of course. I was primarily using that sentence as an illustration of starting a sentence with an -ing word. :D

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I give up in the face of all you scholars. Not beginning a sentence with an "ing" word is a rule . . . but so I can break, bend, and otherwise mutilate it, as well, please cite the grammar authority. :ty:

Nah, it's not a rule.

:D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This entire thread is a good example of why every writer needs to recognize three things:

1. What you mean to say.
2. What you think you said.
3. What you actually said.

You really want those to converge. And you need to develop the ability to recognize when they differ.

caw

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't work. Staring at the ignition won't start the car unless you have telekinetic powers. Such sentences almost never make sense.

I don't think this kind of construction implies causation. "Driving to work, he reminisced about his old girlfriend." I interpret the original example to mean he's staring at the ignition and also, though not mentioned explicitly, he turns the key in it.

zarada

not afraid to leap
Registered
Reaction score
i could never figure out why someone would want to start out their story that way. there's so much to worry about getting right in the first sentence -- like: introducing your MC properly, defining a setting, making an impression on your reader? why go f&*# it up from the get-go with a fabricated, convoluted and fuzzy string of words starting with *ing?

(i'm feeling rather opinionated tonight. does it show?)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i could never figure out why someone would want to start out their story that way. there's so much to worry about getting right in the first sentence -- like: introducing your MC properly, defining a setting, making an impression on your reader? why go f&*# it up from the get-go with a fabricated, convoluted and fuzzy string of words starting with *ing?

(i'm feeling rather opinionated tonight. does it show?)
Dunno. It depends a lot on voice.

Killing my mother turned out not to be such a great idea after all.

As an opener, that'd work for me ...-ings be damned :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Dunno. It depends a lot on voice.

Killing my mother turned out not to be such a great idea after all.

Ah, but that's not the same grammatical construction as the original example. What's quoted above actually is a gerund, not a participle. The difference between a gerund and a participle, and their uses, isn't all that difficult to comprehend, and is something any good writer should know.

caw

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
How is the reader to know THAT is what he was staring at?

I know its just an example, but the writer still needs to be a little more specific of the subject...

Because as you said, the other meaning is under the hood, and normally can't be looked at. "Ignition" for where you stick the key is a common usage. Like saying "press the gas" for the accelerator pedal. This is getting off-topic. Confusion about the meaning of the word ignition has nothing to do with whether the grammatical construct works.

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
There are just writers who do it habitually and/or badly.

Yep. Moreover, I find little troubles swirl around -ing words. Eight times out of ten, the writing isn't as robust as it could be. In fact, when I'm editing, I run a 'ing' search in Word, and carefully inspect sentences containing such words. Years ago, I averaged twenty -ing words a page; today I'm averaging one or two, if that.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is no such rule.

:ty:, Beth. I agree. It's what I've been saying in this entire thread (while it fell on too many deaf ears):D

Should I have posted:sarcasm before "Not beginning a sentence with an "ing" word is a rule . . ."?

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Ok, thank you thothguard51.

Do you guys agree or disagree with this link?

http://aldora89.tumblr.com/post/36096974674/on-beginning-sentences-with-gerunds-stop-for-the
Giving advice about writing while sowing confusion about basic grammar is a bit tacky.

The perpetrator should do some basic research and find out the difference between participles and gerunds before spouting rules about writing.

On the other hand, he/she's correct IMHO that overuse of what she assumes are gerunds to begin sentences is not good.

Last edited:

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I admit I am a rehabilitated participial phrase offender. Is this okay? "She paced back and forth under the awning over the entrance, gradually expanding her territory until she was walking the entire length of the block." Obviously once she's walking the entire length of the block, she's no longer under the awning at all times, so it's not completely simultaneous. But this doesn't seem glaringly wrong to me.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I admit I am a rehabilitated participial phrase offender. Is this okay? "She paced back and forth under the awning over the entrance, gradually expanding her territory until she was walking the entire length of the block." Obviously once she's walking the entire length of the block, she's no longer under the awning at all times, so it's not completely simultaneous. But this doesn't seem glaringly wrong to me.

But it is. And because of that the sentence is awkward and feels wordy. The action you want to describe is this: "She paced back and forth under the awning over the entrance. Then she left there, and walked the entire length of the block."

She didn't "gradually expand her territory." She did one thing, then she did something else. This vividly illustrates one of the biggest problems in the misuse of participial phrases. Far too often writers succumb to the temptation to join what should be two sentences into one, via the use of a participial phrase that fogs up the intended meaning. Yeah, we readers can interpret it, but why not be more precise and clear?

Now, there are constructions in which the use of a participial phrase correctly and appropriately contributes to the narration. But your example isn't one of those.

caw

Last edited: