Richard III's remains: Leicester car park dug up

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I have observed, especially while living in Scotland, that 600 year old history can still get you punched in the face in the local if you choose the wrong moment to be glib. It remains very important indeed to many people. You aren't obliged to consider it important, they aren't obliged to consider it unimportant, no one has to laugh and no one gets punched in the face. That's how diversity works.

I also lived in Scotland for many years, though I've never seen anyone in the least danger of being assaulted over 600 year old history. But that's irrelevant. This was an English monarch, and no historical figures from so far back have any general emotional resonance. You might be able to get an interesting debate about Cromwell, say, or the Reformation, with one or two but the vast majority -- and I mean very very vast -- couldn't give a toss.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I also lived in Scotland for many years, though I've never seen anyone in the least danger of being assaulted over 600 year old history. But that's irrelevant.

I seem to recall that Braveheart created a lot of Anglophobia in some areas of Scotland.

This was an English monarch, and no historical figures from so far back have any general emotional resonance. You might be able to get an interesting debate about Cromwell, say, or the Reformation, with one or two but the vast majority -- and I mean very very vast -- couldn't give a toss.

That is a sweeping generalization. Jesus and Mohammed PBUH are both historical figures and have huge emotional resonance. The amount of international news coverage the dig in Leicester has had over the last fortnight has been substantial. I think that argues that there is a, to use your word Priene, vast interest in the fate of Richard III's remains.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
If a skeleton is found, and confirmed to be Richard's, maybe we could find out what degree (if any) of congenital deformity he had.

Interesting point. There are some descriptions here http://www.richardiii.net/ click on site map (second blue box from left), scroll down to Richard's appearance and click on that. Some, not all, are taken from primary sources. The ones from people who actually saw him say nothing detrimental about his appearance. Most of the ones written after his death give him a crook back and are disparaging about his appearance. I very much doubt if a man with physical disabilities could have been an active soldier as Richard was.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks.

That's good news. I also note that the article says if they need more time than the one extra week they'll get it.

It sounds like they've already found something pretty interesting (based on the quote in Shakesbear's post about the results being a closely-guarded secret) that makes it worth exploring further. And if they're already saying that they'll get extra time if they need it, they must think they're on to something pretty important, even if it's not Richard III. I can't wait to hear what they come up with!

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cassandra! I've corrected the link in my post - there as a numeral left out.

I hope they are on to something important and worthwhile. Finding the memorial garden must have been exciting for the archaeologists - imagine if they do find some human remains.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
I cop'ed! Oh my indeed! I am so gobsmacked, emotional and just plain WOW!! Fanning my perosnage vigorously in an attempt to calm down . . . BUT we have to wait approx three months for the testing to be complete. BUT . . .
Mr Buckley says he believes it is the body of Richard III.
oh my.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Now now, calm down. There is still a good chance it isn't Rich. Of course Mr Buckley believes it is him, he's being searching for years!

Let them do the testing and if we don't hear anything in 3 months, we'll know it isn't.

<exit Mommy mode>

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I cop'ed! Oh my indeed! I am so gobsmacked, emotional and just plain WOW!! Fanning my perosnage vigorously in an attempt to calm down . . . BUT we have to wait approx three months for the testing to be complete. BUT . . . oh my.

I'm all excited and emotional too!

*slaps self*

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Now now, calm down. There is still a good chance it isn't Rich. Of course Mr Buckley believes it is him, he's being searching for years!

Let them do the testing and if we don't hear anything in 3 months, we'll know it isn't.

<exit Mommy mode>

Yes. Calm.
Now is the autumn of our great content
Made glorious summer by this son of York;
And all the clouds that low'r'd upon his house
Be in the deep bosom of the ocean buried.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
As a kid i read a lot of Thomas Costain books. I realize that he had no academic credentials and that his version of history has been labeled "commercial" but a fifteen year old girl doesn't look into that stuff . I got caught up in the wars of the roses and Richard 3. I liked him because he was small, I guess. I've always been a sucker for a short, brainy guy. And in a world of big, athletic blondes, he seems to have been a thinker.

Years later I have read a lot more substantial history on the subject but Richard has always been my bad , misunderstood, boyfriend. I'm thrilled that he is in the popular mind right now. Hope to hear more about him, even if it is bad--s6

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thus was the winter of Dick’s discontent,
whilst deaf unto his spirit’s hapless moans,
made worse by Harry Tudor’s government,
and multitudes have parked above his bones.

Did the great bard deploy his cunning quill,
to impugn a monarch’s honest candour,
with valid chronicles revised until
truth was drowned in shiftless propaganda?

Yet even though his soul be stained with blame,
let the bones of the last Plantagenet,
despite the loathing at his tainted name,
be free now from their loamy oubliette.

And cars that piddled oil above his head,
let hence to Tesco’s grimy, asphalt bed!

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I hope they've solved the mystery!
But if that isn't Richard III,
another project needs research --
who was that underneath the church?