when pasting into body of email...

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
Should the submitted sample pages/chapters be the same font as the query letter itself? (ATM Helvetica) or the standard Times New Roman? (Obviously still 12pt/double spaced). I'm having some hesitancy because I know I have heard time and again that I should avoid multiple fonts in an email. So would that mean I need to change my standard font for emails as a whole to be Times New Roman? Maybe overthinking this. Not sure.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What many of us do for pasting into email is a format change.

I make mine single spaced with blank lines between paragraphs. I use the email's default font, or whatever I've set it to. I make sure my apostrophes and quotation marks are straight up and down, not curly. (Those often "translate" poorly in email.) I remove italics and underlines.

I test mail it to myself at different email services, like gmail, yahoo, and earthlink. If I have a buddy I trust, I also send it to him or her to make sure it comes through clean.

Then I send it out.

Maryn, not worrying so much about this aspect

elinor

Registered
Reaction score
What many of us do for pasting into email is a format change.

I make mine single spaced with blank lines between paragraphs. I use the email's default font, or whatever I've set it to. I make sure my apostrophes and quotation marks are straight up and down, not curly. (Those often "translate" poorly in email.) I remove italics and underlines.

I test mail it to myself at different email services, like gmail, yahoo, and earthlink. If I have a buddy I trust, I also send it to him or her to make sure it comes through clean.

Then I send it out.

Maryn, not worrying so much about this aspect

I feel sort of like I've got the actual query format down pretty good, I'm just worrying a lot over how to format the synopsis/sample stuff - whether those should be default font as query, or whether I should change them to be exact same format as query - including no indentations. I've read a lot where they're like "just copy/past" like Nathan Bransford, but I'm still worrying. So far my synopsis matches format of query - helvetica, single space, single space between paragraphs, no indentations. But sample pages make me nervous.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I'm looking at the words, not the font. Simple and unobtrusive - preferably either the default email font or another normal font - default "normal" size - black - the end. Don't overthink this.