I'm an illustrator who writes novels. How do I query?

DLacy

Through dangers untold...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donellelacy.com
If I want an agent to represent me for my writing and my illustration, should I simply query two separate agents? Or is there an approach to query a single agent for something like that?

The novels are YA and the illustrations aren't picture book.

Thanks!

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think if the two mediums aren't combined (a graphic novel or similar), you'd have to pursue each area separately.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd want agents who were expert in their fields. It's not likely that a literary agent would be expert in placing both books and illustrations, as the two mediums are so different: so yep. Two different agents.

DLacy

Through dangers untold...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donellelacy.com
Thanks for the help, everyone! It's going to be an exciting journey from here on out.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Most of the agents who handle illustrators (and it's not so different or unusual) handle children's book authors and illustrators.

Personally I would recommend querying JUST the book and query agents who take authors and illustrators. Then talk to your agent about illustrating the book.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
There are also folks called artist reps who rep illustrators only.

Decide whether you are more passionate about the art or words and seek representation for that one. I think most reps expect the artist to work in picture books or the educational markets. You'll have to do some research on that.

You can also query the book at agencies where someone reps illustrators. Folks in the same house may share you.