Synopsis headache

Iforgotthis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
There's this great literary agent I found. Actually amazing, matches my manuscript well (or at least I think so...). On the website it asks for a synopsis of 500 words or fewer.
I don't think I can do this. My story is quite complex, and a synopsis wouldn't make sense without certain details. Cutting back 'unnecessary' words leaves me with 763 words. What should I do? I've been sitting here for the past hour going through several shorter drafts and they just don't match when compared to the actual MS.
Should I send what I have, or just keep trying to cut it back? Would it be better to send a longer synopsis which is easier to follow or the 500 they ask for that would get slightly confusing?
Thanks for your time.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Give them what they ask--it would be far too easy for them to toss your query for not following their requirements.

Once you get to 50 posts, you can post your synopsis in Query Letter Hell and see if people here can help you condense it.

Last edited:

Iforgotthis

Registered
Reaction score
Give them what they ask--it would be far to easy for them to toss your query for not following their requirements.

Once you get to 50 posts, you can post your synopsis in Query Letter Hell and see if people here can help you condense it.

I've got it down to 510. Just... 10... more...

EDIT: It is done.

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Those words aren't dead--they're only sleeping. :D You can wake them back up when you find an agency that wants a three-page synopsis.

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
I have the opposite problem (well, not with synopses; it's really hard to make them short). I tend to write short, and have trouble with the filling out part.

My WIP is 68,000 words and should be a bit longer for the genre, but anything I add feels like padding. So I don't.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
When I was whittling down a synopsis, as well as cutting words, I cut subplots. My one-page synopsis only contains the main plot, absolutely no subplots whatsoever.

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The agent probably wants a 500 word synopsis to pass around to others in the company, so that they can keep abreast of what's been submitted. Or perhaps that's what they use as a pitch to publishers. Most good pitches aren't even that long, especially for a short novel. Some agents require a start-to-finish synopsis, about 3-4 pages to send to mid-list publishers who require them.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's an important thing to note that most agents who ask for a very short synopsis KNOW that they're not getting the full story. They often just want the debrief of the main plot. There's a lot of pressure and I felt like I was slaughtering a lot of my darlings, but it's crucial to remember that all agents who do that will know that a lot is missing. It needs to make sense, but don't worry about being brutal. :)