Agent for Inspirational/Self Help Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roses2014

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of particular agents who work with inspirational/self help books?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Not offhand, but I remember from browsing that many exist. An agent's website and Publishers Marketplace page should show their fields of interest. You could do targeted Google searches, but be careful. Inspirational and self-help authors can themselves be targets of less skilled or less honorable 'agents'.

Look closely at authors represented by each agency. Are they being published by reputable commercial publishers, instead of vanity/subsidy publishers? How strong are those books' sales rank on Amazon (high numbers may indicate low sales, with anything over 1,000,000 possibly hinting at only 1 to 10 copies sold on Amazon since publication.) Is the agent advertising in the back of writers' magazines? Is the agent affiliated with an editing service and/or for-pay 'marketing' course?

With the exception of question #1, none of those points are automatically bad. But they can indicate an agent without the skill, industry contacts, or even inclination to place a book with the most effective publisher.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I look for agents on Query Tracker. I cross check with Preditors and Editors and of course here in the Bewares, Recommendations and Background Checks thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.