Query a novel even if you're not 100% confident in it?

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
If I had a dollar (or better yet, a British pound!) for every time I've had to pry a manuscript out of a writer's mitts cause "I don't think it's ready, I'm not totally confident" I'd have enough dough to buy a round of drinks for everyone on this thread.

I'm glad you're seeing good results from one query. Now QUERY WIDELY.

Ha! I know well enough to listen when Janet Reid tells me to do something... and so I have queried widely. And gotten two more requests from SUPER mind blowing agents. I haven't slept in over a week...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Not only is this a rocking novel, it's also a rocking query.

Purplehershey

Registered
Reaction score
This is one of the first threads I've read on this website and damn is it exciting.

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Ha Purplehershey, you should totally go back and look at my hundreds of other angsty posts where I'm meandering about like a lost child, full of self doubt and the unyielding conviction that my writing isn't up to snuff....

thelastwordsmith

Brother's Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Ha Purplehershey, you should totally go back and look at my hundreds of other angsty posts where I'm meandering about like a lost child, full of self doubt and the unyielding conviction that my writing isn't up to snuff....

I remember a few. :DSounds like you've got a great novel.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score

I remember some of your SYW threads. I've always thought your writing was pretty good. :)

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! This thread is so exciting!

Michelle D.

Registered
Reaction score
Jennifer, thank you for the words of wisdom!

Update: I figured, why not go for it. I spent two hours crafting a query and sent exactly one query last night right before bed to, basically, my first choice dream agents (what the hell, if you're gonna go for it, might as well go for it.) Woke this morning to a FULL REQUEST. Uhhhh. Holy crap!

OMG congrats!!!

Sudoroot

Registered
Reaction score
How are things going? Exciting thread is exciting. Don't leave us on a cliffhanger!

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Ha Sudoroot! Well I have 2 fulls and 3 partials out now, plus a bunch of queries I haven't heard back from. And so...I wait. And Wait. I'm at about 30% positive responses on the query itself.

Did I mention I'm waiting (and stalking people on twitter).