I'm confused...

shahrazad

Registered
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I got a partial request from one of those agencies where all the queries are emailed to the same address. Anyway, I put the agent who I addressed the query to in the subject line and sent the material. She rejected me soon after and I didn't think too much about it.

This morning I got another email from the same agency requesting for partials again. I'm confused. Is this a glitch in the system? Should I respond to the email?

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
First, I'm not an agent, but here's my best advice.

Send it again, explain in the email what you just told us and ask if there has been some confusion. Under this email, put your original query, for reference sake.

Make sure the request does not have an alternate email for you to send the partial.

In the subject line, include the phrase "requested material."

Chances are, they will get back to you, either with a thanks for resending or with a yes, we have rejected it. If they don't get back to you, assume the rejection you received was real.

shahrazad

Registered
Reaction score
This is their policy:
Please do not query multiple agents at the agency simultaneously - if you receive a query rejection from one agent it means a no from the agency.

And I already got rejected from one of their agents. This is my first time querying for anything and I don't want to be unprofessional, but I thought maybe putting the wrong agent in the subject line might've made the problem, if she wasn't the one that wanted to see pages.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I got a partial request from one of those agencies where all the queries are emailed to the same address. Anyway, I put the agent who I addressed the query to in the subject line and sent the material. She rejected me soon after and I didn't think too much about it.

This morning I got another email from the same agency requesting for partials again. I'm confused. Is this a glitch in the system? Should I respond to the email?

It might be a glitch.

It could also be that someone else in the agency looked at the query and wants to see the materials. It won't hurt to send again, but be sure to explain the situation. Even if it was a glitch and the rejection is still a rejection, it's doubtful anyone will be upset by your due diligence. But you also want to make them aware that you understand their policies and aren't attempting to be sneaky. (This is important if you ever write a second novel and are still seeking representation.)

Good luck!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like two people there simply aren't communicating. My guess is that you were rejected by the agent who handles your type of fiction, which means resubmitting won't do any good. I'd send an e-mail explaining what happened, and see what they say.

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Never miss a chance to get your work in front of someone who can sell it! Even if it is a glitch and you get a rejection, you're no worse off than you were before. If it's not a glitch, you're farther ahead. Go for it! No explanations required. They asked, you replied.

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
I agree with Janet. It's to your advantage to take them at face value and simply do as they request. If there's a glitch, it's their glitch, after all. Your job is to usher your baby into the hands of those who can help it mature. The more irons in the fire, the better.

shahrazad

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I haven't responded yet, but I think I'll risk it and send them what they asked. :)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Do iiiiit. The worst that can happen is a 'no, thanks', or no answer. If you don't send it, you'll always be wondering 'if only'.

There's no real risk here, save to your self esteem from a possible rejection. Work on something else, lay in a supply of your favorite chocolate, ice cream, salty snacks, booze, or terrible movies (whatever helps for that first stinging day), and move on.

You might be pleasantly surprised.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Always listen to Ms. Reid. She knows.