I have several agent offers

BigPawsBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Is there somewhere (a PM?) where I could list the agent offers and someone could help me choose? I know nothing and it's all happened very quickly!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Have you spoken to each one about their vision for your book and career?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
How many agents have made you an offer?

Have you checked them all out to make sure they're all legitimate, with a record of good sales to good publishers?

If not, you really should do that.

Do you know how to do that, or do you need help?

Once you're sure that all the offering agents are reputable, then you have to speak to them about your book, and find out what they think they could do for you, and for it, and what you'd both expect from each other.

BigPawsBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I only subbed to the top 10 agents in my genre. They are all big London houses.

I have three. I met with one, she offered me so I let everyone else know. Two more offers since who I haven't yet met with (theyre in London and I'm three hours away), and four more have requested the full. The first agent has given me two weeks and one week has already elapsed.

I really LOVED the first agent and her vision for my book and career. They all represent good names and have sold to the big publishing houses.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I know a few agents who are London-based. You could PM me their names and I'll tell you if there are any to avoid: but if you prefer you could ask to speak to them on the phone and see how you get on.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

Check out their BW&BC threads here. Speak to them about their vision for your novel and what they see doing with it (what revisions they'll want, their submission strategy). Talk about other novels you might have finished or that you are writing or planning to write.

I think most authors go with the first offering agent simply because it's hard to beat the enthusiasm on both sides. But it's a good idea to talk to others who are interested before making a decision.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats! :snoopy:

Assuming all the agents are reputable, go with your gut or heart says. But first talk to all the agents who offer and find out if their vision of the book meshes with yours, if you like their agenting style, if your future books are ones they're enthusiastic about.

Do let us know who you pick.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!! Only things I can think of (after you've confirmed that they rep good people and make decent sales):

1. Have a nice long chat and see how their vision of you current and future books meshes with your own. Do you like their work style? How do they communicate? etc.

2. Look them up on line. Here and anywhere else. Check out agent query, check out interviews with them. Look at their sales on Publishers Marketplace (that requires a subscription but maybe you could ask someone here for help if you just want info about a few specific agents.)

3. Check out interviews with their clients. See if they mention their agent (in a good or bad light). Ask to speak with some of their clients.

But honestly, I think, once you know they're reputable, then it comes down to who you want to work with based on a "feeling." :)

No matter what, sounds like you're well on your way!!http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!! What an awesome problem to have! :)

Hmm...these were the reasons why I went with the agency I did:

1. Enthusiasm. I was met with not one but two agents at the agency, both of whom were super enthusiastic about my book. They even said that they'd sent my book to their New York branch. I loved that they were so tight-knit as an agency.

2. Their previous sales. Strong domestic and international sales to big and small houses. Yay!

3. Their comments. There were a few pretty major changes they suggested, and I agreed with almost all of them.

4. Level of comfort. I felt very comfortable talking to them and bringing up concerns etc. This is so important because with my last book, they loved the concept but they suggested a major overhaul (turning it from a stand-alone to a series), and they pretty much held me by the hoof and took me through the revision process step by step, which brings me to the last point...

5. How much editing do they do? How hands on are they with your books? I need an agent who patiently nudges me forward every step of the way, but some writers prefer agents who leave them to themselves. It all depends on you.

Good luck, and I hope you make a choice you're happy with!

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Excellent problem to have! You've done your homework and ensured that all are reputable. I assume you'll dig more deeply into researching those who offered representation. After that, you need to have a few serious conversations. The AAR website offers this list of good things to ask potential agents.

It's not that unusual for writers to get multiple offers--it means that there's obvious merit and marketability to the work. Isn't it nice when agents compete over you? Good luck!

BigPawsBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have a log in for the publishers site? I have to decide today so a swift pm is much appreciated!