Curiosity: Why don't agents keep their agentquery.com info up to date?

AHunter3

Author-Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.genderkitten.com
One example of many possible: LJK Literary, with all of its agents including Susanna Einstein and Meg Thompson, are still listed as such in agentquery.com, but the organization is now Einstein Thompson Agency (and has been since 2011), at a different address, with different specifications for querying than was in place at LJK Literary (at least going by the agentquery.com entry).

I would think that agentquery.com is a sufficiently major point of contact info that an agent would want it to reflect correct and updated information.

In addition to agents who have changed the name of their orgs or moved to another org, the site is well-populated with agents who have dropped out of the business, not to mention agents who no longer accept unsolicited queries.

Is agentquery.com not so highly regarded by agents? Or perhaps they make the updating process annoyingly awkward or something?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'd like to know this too. I'm finding less and less that's up to date on that site.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
AQ are reliant on their users sending updates on listed agents if the agents don't send updates. So if you see something out of date then let AQ crew know.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's why I never trust any information I didn't get directly from an agent's website or PM page. AQ and QT are fabulous tools, but they shouldn't be anyone's only stop in agent research.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing that if they weren't getting enough queries and submissions to keep them busy, they might do that.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
1) Query Tracker seems to be much more heavily used -- AQ seems like it's sorta outdated?That may just be me, but I don't know anyone who uses them over QT.

2)It was a big pain to set up my information back in 2010. As in "print out this form and fax it." which was weird, and then you have to remember your log in to update any info.

3) Frankly we get a lot of queries so it's not like we're trying to get on every website we can. We want to hit the high notes so people know we exist, of course. And people should be checking the agency's website anyway.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The worst thing is when Agentquery says an agent is accepting submission and then you go to their website and it says they've been closed to them for some time. So DEFINITELY don't rely on the site exclusively. It still is a useful resource. And a free one at that.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Agents don't update their information because it's not a priority for them.

Their priority is representing their author-clients in the best way they can, not in updating websites (which they might not even know about) so that authors they probably won't end up representing can query them more effectively.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
@ Torgo - Not too surprising, AQ only covers US agents