Not open for further replies.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
RDJ: Boke of Gode Cookery

Need to figure out what Lord and Lady Whatchamacallit will be serving at the big Michaelmas Dinner of 1527? Why, look! It's a great big compendium of medieval recipes -- and they're even adaptable to modern-day kitchens!

Gode Cookery

I highly recommend the beer-poached salmon with herbs :)

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, RDJ fans....

I've been swamped this summer, but I started classes today and will have 1-2 hours a week of waiting between classes that I can use to get caught up. I hope. Stay tuned....

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry I've been gone so long

Real life has a way to suck you into it, doesn't it? But I'm busting out into cyberspace again, so look out!

Betty

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RDJ: Make a Snow Flake

Make A Snow Flake [wait, shouldn't that be "snowflake"? that's their spelling, not mine...]

http://snowflakes.lookandfeel.com/

OK, this isn't a practical site, but it's snowing here - AGAIN - after 6" day before yesterday, and I have snowflakes on the brain. (It's danged cold, too!) However, if you download your designs and find a practical use for them, let us know. Meanwhile, here's a way to make non-cold (it is too a word - now...) snowflakes without leaving little bits of paper everywhere, like DD#2 did the year she learned to make these in kindergarten. Let it snow!!

snowglo1.gif

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RDJ: Books Into Movies

I went to see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe this past Friday. C.S. Lewis' series is one of my favorites and I loved the movie - the bits that were added didn't spoil the flow or the flavor, it had great casting, good music, and an amazing CGI Aslan... if you haven't gone to see it, go. Right now. What are you watiing for?

Meanwhile, for those of you who like to see how books translate on the big screen, check out the list from Mid-Continent Public Library, "Based on the Book". I was amazed to see how many books had been made into movies in 2005 alone. Somehow, I'd been under the impression that all the film industry could do anymore was make sequels. Bad ones.

http://www.mcpl.lib.mo.us/readers/movies/year.cfm?id=2005

costumed-smiley-019.gif
20.gif

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RDJ: The Hymns and Carols of Christmas

Can’t remember the third verse of Joy to the World? Can’t remember any of the words to Il Est Ne, Le Divin Enfant? Looking for some carols for rabid Green Bay fans? (No, seriously...)

This is the place! Douglas D. Anderson put this site together (possibly the most complete collection of Christmas songs on the Internet) so that folks can celebrate Chsitmas all year long. The site also includes historical bits about trees, cards, Santa Claus, and angels, as well as a whole page of links to e-mail card sites. (Now you have no excuse not to send out cards this year!)
Merry Christmas, y’all!
1.gif

http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/index.htm

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Patti. I hope to get back to posting on this list after the semester ends. Meanwhile, anything useful is welcome.

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
Betty, thank you for all the sites on research. I found a lot I can use when writing my historical romance without googling all the time.

outsidethebox

Registered
Reaction score
Free online access to complete magazine issues

It's hard trying to track down back issues of magazines I all of a sudden have a story idea for, not to mention it costs money. I can't always find magazines at my local book or grocery store, etc. Last night I was trying to find if there were any online postings of essays for a women's publication because I'm interested in submitting one--and I found it! But instead of just coming across one or two of these essays, I found a website where I can gain free access to read entire back issues of tons of articles. Score!

Check out accessmylibrary.com This is a land mine for freelancers!

dyljos

Banned
Absolute Write Poet Laureate
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
www.storywar.com
StoryWar! www.storywar.com - where writers can submit stories and watch as they climb up (or fall down) an ongoing league table.

read/rate/review stories too! Simple, easy to use layout, no ads.

karlhindle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.keybasher.com
RDJ: Keybasher.com free daily writing gig list

www.keybasher.com

I publish a daily freelance writing jobs list Monday to Friday - it's free to use (I fund it by Adsense ads if they get clicked on) - mixed bag available and I'm open to suggestions if you are looking fr specific work categories too - drop me an email.

Good luck!

Karl aka Keybasher

John Kansai

Registered
Reaction score
A few useful resources, including the Paris Review interviews

I thought I’d share a few invaluable resources that have helped me throughout the process of my development as an author.

1) Every writer worth her salt should read and learn from the invaluable treasure trove that is the Paris Review’s famous serious of author interviews. Fortunately for us, the reviews have been collected and arranged by decade on the Paris Review’s new website (www.theparisreview.org). Extending back to the 1950s, the interviews are an embarrassment of riches, featuring in-depth interviews in which authors such as Ralph Ellison, T.S. Elliot, Jorge Luis Borges, and Vladimir Nabokov (among many, many others) open up and discuss the writing process and their understanding of the mechanics and craft of fiction.

2) Based on my own experience, I believe it’s crucial to take the time to have a second pair of eyes read our work critically and offer objective (i.e., not our friends or family members) feedback before we try to publish. I’ve found that working with a professional editor is very helpful as they aren’t afraid to provide a professional and objective reading of your work. Last time I checked the magazine Poets & Writers listed professional editors for hire in the back of the magazine in the advertisement section. I would also highly recommend the online editing company www.admissionsticket.com which, unlike several other online editing companies I’ve dealt with, has editors who specialize in editing fiction.

3) Speaking of grammar and typos, though it sure can feel like a drag to study grammar, I’ve found that working on the fundamentals of writing good, grammatically correct prose goes a long way in helping me clearly articulate my ideas for stories. Though there are a ton of books on the subject, I’d highly recommend The Only Grammar Book You’ll Ever Need by Susan Thurman. It’s thorough, concise, and extremely helpful.

Alright fearless writers, hope these suggestions are helpful for even one of you. May we all write well and often!
John

Status
Not open for further replies.