Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Historical Writing
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #26
Miller Robert
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Miller Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
Russian POWs were allowed to be farm labor in Germany or join German-associated military formations.
Ukrainian women were the basic resource of German farm labor. Nazis exploited mainly ostarbaiters from the western parts of the Soviet Union (Ukrainian and Belorussian people).
Old 10-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #27
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A whole pile of British POWs wrote memoirs that were published in the fifties and sixties, and many were reprinted by Ballantine in paperback. Libraries or used-book shops can get them for you.

While these won't recreate the experience of civilians in concentration camps, you can use them for general research into the times. Plus, many of the writers had been keenly observant and included details of what they had seen or heard of the treatment of civilians.

Some works you might look for in particular include I Was a Doctor in Auschwitz, by Gisella Perl.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #28
Miller Robert

In my opinion oral history can solve many issues relating to this problem. This is the best source.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #29
Hahnx111

Hahnx111 is on a distinguished road
Auschwitz

Take a look at the Sonderkommando Revolt that took place at Auschwitz-Birkenau in 1944. I would advise caution in anything Holocaust related. Keep in mind the significance of that event and the people who experienced it.
Hahnx111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #30
Mac H.
Board Visitor

Mac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputation
This is a necro'd thread from last year. One thing that did occur to me (before I noticed the date) is that everyone seems to be thinking "Concentration Camp" = "Nazi".

There have been plenty of concentration camps by plenty of different groups throughout history.

It wasn't just the Nazis. The Nazis have kind of ruined the word .. before that (say World War I) people had no trouble calling centralised camps to contain foreigners as 'concentration camps'. (Because they concentrated the groups into one place for administrative reasons)

eg - If you a Lutheran in Australia during World War I you might have ended up in this concentration camp: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrens...entration_Camp

So remember - concentration camps weren't just used by the Nazis ....

Mac

Last edited by Mac H.; 11-10-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 AM   #31
Miller Robert

Not only Entente made such camps during WWI.
But we definitly can say: Nazi=extermination camps.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #32
Mac H.
Board Visitor

Mac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Robert View Post
But we definitely can say: Nazi=extermination camps.
But there are plenty of other extermination camps as well - not just the Nazis.

The obvious one is Pol Pot - google the 'Choeung Ek Extermination Camp' for one example.

As much as I'd like to say the Nazis were a rare aberration .. we humans have a nasty tendency to do terrible things.

Mac
Mac H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #33
Miller Robert

The Nazis "launched" extermination camps system.

Last edited by Miller Robert; 11-13-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Miller Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #34
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
I don't have a great escape idea for you, OP. But I think the more you know about what it was like the more likely you'll be to think of an idea that will work for you. I've been a long time fan of Elie Wiesel- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elie_Wiesel

He's a great writer, poetic in his prose, so reading his first hand accounts of life in a concentration camp, I don't think you will find a chore. I'd recommend "Night" and "All Rivers Run to the Sea". Good luck.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #35
Lil
practical experience, FTW

Lil is a shiny, shiny jewelLil is a shiny, shiny jewel
It doesn't give details about how he did it, but here is an interview with someone who did escape from a concentration camp:

http://www.praguepost.com/archivesco...r-of-life.html
Lil is offline   Reply With Quote