What is a Popular Erotica Niche?

FCChen

All Ogre Now
Registered
Reaction score
While it's already been covered, I will say not to focus on what's popular. It's a good way of burning out. Write what you love or would like to read. That way when it's done, you're excited about it instead of feeling like you're finally free of it.

I can't stress how true this actually is. I almost burned out with my second novel because I introduced an outside element that I didn't really enjoy that I thought I would like. Writing it was amazing for the first 3-5 days, but as time went on it actually made me less happy with the story.

I digress, though. I know that a bunch of the publishers I eye for submissions would be very happy with an epic fantasy erotica piece. A good plot only makes the erotic scenes that much more delicious, IMHO. :p

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a long time lurker here, but I thought that I'd take the plunge and join in the conversation.

I have a question for all the erotica writers on here. I'm just getting into writing erotica, and I'm wondering what niche would be a good idea to focus on.

I'm pretty familiar with most of the genres, but I was thinking about focusing on short story fantasy, sci-fi, and maybe a little bit horror to start with. I'm just not sure if those are viable niches to self publish in.

I've searched everywhere on the web, but I can't find any information on what is popular. And Amazon only lists the best seller erotica books, and not the best selling short stories (or maybe it's just that no short stories are anywhere near best sellers).

Any feedback people have on this forum would be appreciated.

Amazon is not excluding short stories from the erotica best sellers, I can tell you that much.

malamute

Registered
Reaction score
Write what appeals most to you because what you enjoy comes out in the story, I love erotic romance and humour, the onus is more on contemporary romance under Ellen March, however I've recently dipped into the paranormal side and have discovered I adore fantasy, its liberating, giving me so much more freedom to explore and create worlds, although I understand erotic paranormal is not popular with everyone which is why I have H D March to distinguish the different brands.

So basically settle into the niche you feel comfortable with, don't follow trends and don't be afraid to experiment. Go for it and good luck with your writing.

SentaHolland

'Out of the Shadows' HarperCollins
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sentaholland.wordpress.com
BDSM is a popular 'brand' because so many people are curious or perhaps even secretly feel it is their deep desire. But I write it because that's where my heart is. For female readers I believe that erotica that is also a powerful love story still works the best, if you can feel it yourself. Emotions are a huge part of the erotic experience, on the page and in the bedroom.