Non-romantic Spanish Endearments

s.j.l

Registered
Reaction score
Calling all Spanish speakers, readers and writers!

Okay, normally I wouldn't put in languages I don't understand a lick of in my writing but this character has captured me and he's set on being an old, grizzly but sweet 60y.o. Mexican man.

A little more info: He's been hired as a cook by the son of his old friend and he's come to think of this man as something of a foster son, family. The man is in his mid 30s and is a cold person but he's warm to the old man and also considers him family. The man has brought over the woman (26 y.o.) who he is seeing and this is the first time he has introduced anyone to the older man. He has also brought over the woman's younger brother is a scrawny, small 10 y.o. boy, who looks as malnutritioned as his older sister.

The old man warms to them immediately and I see him calling the little boy an endearment/nickname like little buddy or something.

I researched what I could and came up with miho and chiquito for the boy and carino for the woman. I'm not sure if these would work or are even age appropriate either. I'm hoping someone can help me here.

Also, would he call the man (his employer) something? Maybe something like jefe in jest and something else that like "son" in Spanish?

Someone, somewhere please lend some assistance. por favor!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
He might call him "flaquito." "ito" (little, little one)--or "ita" for a girl or feminine word-- is often added to names or words as a form of endearment. "flaco" is skinny, "flaquito" is a fairly common one you'll hear.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been surprised to hear people call little kids "gordito/gordita" as term of endearment since it's literal meaning is along the lines of "little fatty."

Also, calling little girls "mama." I think it's meant like "she's the boss around here" in a funny, nice way.

Last edited:

s.j.l

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm glad that miho was on the right path I think I'll change it up with flaquito :)

Haha, my family calls my little brother little fatty they have done since he was a kid and now he's tall and huge, though no longer fat, and they still call him that.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the old guy would call the other two?