The Nipple Dilemma

AAdaire

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TwistedPairPublishing.com
Hey, everyone. I'm so glad I found this forum -- what an amazing resource!

I'm about to self-publish my 20th erotica book and have a question regarding the cover that I hope can be answered by someone more knowledgeable about the guidelines on the various sites.

I'm aware that Amazon doesn't like exposed nipples, but what about covered ones that are still pretty visible?

Here's the image in question (not posted directly in case someone doesn't care to see it).

The tank top in the picture (and its wet state) are a big part of the plot, so I'd love to keep this as is. If need be, though, I can stretch the lettering on the shirt to cover the offending ladyparts.

So, would Amazon not allow this as a cover image?
What about the other major vendors: Smashwords, AllRomance, Kobo, Nook, Google Play, iTunes? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance,
Alexis

Last edited:

V.W.Singer

Purveyor of naughtiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vwsinger.com
I would say it is a definite risk with Amazon. Even if it does not lead to an outright ban, it could attract further review and examination of the actual contents of your book.

I'm not that familiar with the others but I would guess they would follow Amazon's lead (except for Smashwords who might be different).

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't going to say anything, since I tend to be overly cautious and don't have much actual experience with covers getting me shunted to the Adult sector (which doesn't come up when shoppers browse), but it seems to me that in practice Amazon does not want to show female nipples, bare or clearly seen through clothing. These show pretty clearly.

If it's easy to change the logo on the shirt to hide that, it seems like a good solution and you'd probably be okay.

Maryn, who actually has female nipples (gasp!)

AAdaire

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for your input, V.W. and Maryn.

I do my own covers, so expanding the lettering on the shirt to obscure the offending ducts is not a problem. I just didn't WANT to, because I find the changed version to be that much less sexy.

However, I think I'll err on the side of caution here.

Here's the new, more chaste cover, on the right.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, that solves the problem with the nipples--but I'm not sold on the way the lettering is just as (or more?) stretched at the top of her breasts than where they're fullest.

I know exactly how a tight shirt with lettering there is going to have its lettering distort, and the capital I and apostrophe won't be like that, nor will the final H.

It seems as if we've had a discussion somewhere on covers getting the books listed as Adult because of heavy bondage, like we see in your background. Might be worth a search to see if my memory is at all accurate. (Break it to me gently if it's not, okay?)

Maryn, wanting your cover to work in your favor, of course

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree that you need to distort the lettering a bit more to make it look like it's stretched. And the moment it looks like it's just floating above the Tshirt.

Elly_Green

Daydreamer or Living Nightmare
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eratosmusings-erotica.blogspot.com
Just in case you wanted to know... the image of the maiden on your cover for the minotaur story is actually a statue of Hermaphroditus - a man/woman. He was the son of Hermes and Aphrodite, explains the name, and was hit-on by a nymph. He scorned her and her response was to wrap herself around him and pray to the gods that they never be separated. The gods answered and their bodies melded. This statue is a sleeping hermaphrodite. :)

cwschizzy

Eviscerate the Proletariat
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see the tied up guy until it was mentioned. I probably should have.

I like the cover though.

AAdaire

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Just in case you wanted to know... the image of the maiden on your cover for the minotaur story is actually a statue of Hermaphroditus - a man/woman. He was the son of Hermes and Aphrodite, explains the name, and was hit-on by a nymph. He scorned her and her response was to wrap herself around him and pray to the gods that they never be separated. The gods answered and their bodies melded. This statue is a sleeping hermaphrodite. :)

Ha! I had no idea. Well, as long as the stray organ in question is hidden, I think I'll leave it as is.

Viridian

local good boy
Registered
Reaction score
I really like the cover where the nipples are covered... it actually seems more sexy that the original version.

It's a pity the ropes had to go, though! Ha.