Computer hacking. Whitehat needed.

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. :hi:

I'm currently working on a plot for a Sci-fi short story involving a youngster who gets into a world of trouble when he hacks into what he thinks is just a normal smartphone app. The story is not about the hacking per se, but what he finds when he gets there and what it does to him. I don't need to know the step-by-step, 'how to hack a supercomputer type of thing, but I do need a broad idea of what such a hacker would do - along with the type of terminology that would be used, etc.

I should mention here that I am clueless about computers and can barely figure out how to work my very outdated version of MS Word. You're right, techno-dinosaur here!* But I'm hoping there is someone here who would be willing to help, via PM's perhaps, over a period of time while I write the story as I'm sure I'm going to have a ton of questions.

*The plot bunny refuses to adhere to the rule about 'Write about what you know about.' :Shrug:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Define "hack". Is he just trying to figure out what the app is trying to do, or how it's doing it? In that case, he'd be decompiling or reverse-engineering or single-stepping the program in an emulator.

Does he discover that it's doing something nefarious in the background? If so, this is the perfect way to do it. He might be surprised by how heavily obfuscated the executable is when he first starts out -- way more protection than a simple game app really needs.

Anyway, a little more detail would help to pick a direction.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Define "hack". Is he just trying to figure out what the app is trying to do, or how it's doing it? In that case, he'd be decompiling or reverse-engineering or single-stepping the program in an emulator.

Does he discover that it's doing something nefarious in the background? If so, this is the perfect way to do it. He might be surprised by how heavily obfuscated the executable is when he first starts out -- way more protection than a simple game app really needs.

Anyway, a little more detail would help to pick a direction.

Ooo. A whole lot of new words I don't understand. :D (But I will look them up and try to educate myself.:))

Okay. Let me start, briefly, with the first scene. My mc is a very bright kid who has been in trouble for minor infringements - something like hacking into the library at his school and changing the return dates on everybody's books. He's on probation, one of the conditions of which being that he is not allowed near a computer or the internet. The story begins when he is sitting in a Starbucks, annoyed that the coffee barista implied that he was too young to be drinking strongly caffeinated drinks. He has 'borrowed' his sister's laptop and 'borrowed' a Raspberry PI (if this is the device that would do it) and is quietly 'checking out' the devices of other customers, hoping to pick up the barista's smartphone and maybe mess with her a little.

It would help a lot to know what that process would be. In general terms. :)

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
If he is just looking at what is on whose device on the wireless network, then he would be in the network server looking at a browser window that would allow him to look at most devices on the network. What he could do on any device would depend on how he got into the server and the security and type of the devices.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
There is a lot information available on line , including YouTube demonstrations of phone hacking . It is surprisingly simple and a bit scary .

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He wouldn't need the Raspberry PI. He would, however, need some software to put the laptop wireless NIC in promiscuous mode, so that he could pick up all the network traffic. He'd need some network monitor software to separate out all the different connections. What I don't know is whether network connections at a coffee shop are encrypted by default or not. Let's pretend not, or that it depends on the hardware, and he's only looking at the ones that aren't.

He picks a connection to a given device, tries to identify it, then sees if there's an exploit published for it on the net. If there is, he downloads the exploit -- these things are usually packaged up for people such that you don't really have to know what you're doing, just follow directions. Such people are called "script kiddies".

Anyway, your MC breaks into a device, looks around, maybe finds something interesting. He downloads it to his laptop, uses an emulator and debugger (throw the word "Eclipse" out there if you feel like it) to try to single-step it. the damthing is obfuscated way to hell and gone more throroughly than you'd expect for a simple freeware game, but he's persistant and wades through it until he's got the bare executable. At this point he discovers that it contains nuclear codes or whatever.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You people are awesome! Thank you so much. :) You've given me a great start.

Once I've written the opening scene, would any of you be willing to read it and check it for accuracy?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Wall of text incoming.

The story begins when he is sitting in a Starbucks, annoyed that the coffee barista implied that he was too young to be drinking strongly caffeinated drinks.

A Starbucks specifically? It's been a while since I last used WiFi at a Starbucks, but last time I did, I think they used AT&T wifi hotspots.

AT&T WiFi hotspots do not use any form of WEP or WPA encryption, so your hacker's task would be relatively easy (see below).

I don't know if Starbucks would have separate secure WiFi for their employees and private network or not, though. This is likely, and certainly many places offering public WiFi do this, and the a great deal might depend on whether or not the device he's trying to hack is on an open WiFi connection or a secure one (see below).

He has 'borrowed' his sister's laptop and 'borrowed' a Raspberry PI (if this is the device that would do it) and is quietly 'checking out' the devices of other customers, hoping to pick up the barista's smartphone and maybe mess with her a little.

It would help a lot to know what that process would be. In general terms. :)

He wouldn't need the Raspberry PI. He would, however, need some software to put the laptop wireless NIC in promiscuous mode, so that he could pick up all the network traffic. He'd need some network monitor software to separate out all the different connections. What I don't know is whether network connections at a coffee shop are encrypted by default or not. Let's pretend not, or that it depends on the hardware, and he's only looking at the ones that aren't.

Yeah, no need for a Raspberry Pi. It's just a cheap, less-powerful computer that can't run regular desktop software. (That's not entirely accurate, but close enough for this level of conversation.)

I wouldn't say there's really any "default" for coffee shops. Totally depends on the specific shop, if it's an indie one. See above for Starbucks, which I think tends to use AT&T WiFi hotspots.

The important thing to know is that there are a few types of WiFi networks: open, WEP encryption, and WPA (and WPA2) encryption.

Open networks encrypt nothing, and don't require passwords. Some may still "require" passwords by having a splash page when you try to visit something in the browser and requiring a password/subscription/paywall/whatever. This is the case for AT&T WiFi hotspots, and the vast majority of hotel free WiFi. However, once you pass this page, nothing else is encrypted by the network itself.

On an open WiFi network, you can see any and all computers on the network very easily. Lots of computers have public sharing folders, Bluetooth, iTunes sharing, whatever, turned on by default. For example, go sit in a Starbucks and open iTunes and you'll probably see several people's iTunes libraries show up in the sidebar.

WEP is weak encryption using a semi-long PIN number. Lots of crappy home WiFi routers use it. (They're the ones with the passcode written on the bottom.)

WPA and WPA2 are preferred, and will encrypt all network traffic. They require passwords to join immediately (i.e., your operating system itself will prompt you for the password; you're not entering the password on a webpage like password-walled open WiFi).

It's highly recommended to public facilities offering free WiFi to use WPA even if they're just post the password in public for everyone to know, because it adds layers of security (encrypted traffic) beyond just the password.

Obviously, to make this as easy as possible, you'd want the target device to be on an open WiFi network. Unfortunately for security but fortunately for writers like you, this is still incredibly common.

...an alternative if you want to make things little more fun would be to have the coffee shop's WiFi actually secured, but then your hacker could create a fake one. Most modern devices can create ad-hoc WiFi networks. Just create an open WiFi network and call it sometimes like "attwifi" and wait for people to join it.

(Although if it's the barrister, this might not be as believable, since she'd already be on the real network, since she got there before your hacker.)

He picks a connection to a given device, tries to identify it, then sees if there's an exploit published for it on the net. If there is, he downloads the exploit -- these things are usually packaged up for people such that you don't really have to know what you're doing, just follow directions. Such people are called "script kiddies".

Firesheep would be an example of such software. Sit around on an open WiFi network, and voila, free usernames and passwords! This kind of stuff is common and easy.

Anyway, your MC breaks into a device, looks around, maybe finds something interesting. He downloads it to his laptop, uses an emulator and debugger (throw the word "Eclipse" out there if you feel like it) to try to single-step it. the damthing is obfuscated way to hell and gone more throroughly than you'd expect for a simple freeware game, but he's persistant and wades through it until he's got the bare executable. At this point he discovers that it contains nuclear codes or whatever.

I admit I'm actually not that knowledgeable about hacking compared to certain people, but I don't think you'd be using a Java IDE for that kind of thing, so I'm not sure why you'd want to mention Eclipse.

Now, actually breaking into and controlling a device is a bit more complicated than sniffing network traffic, and it's a bit beyond my realm of knowledge. I would think he'd have some exploit scripts written in advance, and he'd be executing these from a shell, not from an IDE like Eclipse.

(A "shell" is a word for the command line environment like the MS-DOS prompt you may or may not be old enough to remember.)

What does he actually need to find? Because this is where it gets complicated.

Modern smartphones use a method called "sandboxing" that makes it difficult if you're trying to jump from app to app to get data that might be in one or another. Does he actually need data from an "app", or are you just using that as a buzzword? Does he just need to stumble across some kind of sensitive information? What kind?

It's unlikely sensitive information that could get him into such deep shit would be stored locally in an app, and I'm not sure what a barrister would be doing have such sensitive information in the first place.

The most likely scenario I can think of would be finding someone's username and password to an unimportant account, then he tries it on their secret NSA email and the person has re-used the same password there, and then he stumbles across a bunch of sensitive shit.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I admit I'm actually not that knowledgeable about hacking compared to certain people, but I don't think you'd be using a Java IDE for that kind of thing, so I'm not sure why you'd want to mention Eclipse.

Many (I don't want to say "most", since I don't have actual stats) android apps are written in java. Eclipse actually has a setup specifically for doing android programming. Granted you don't have source code, but if the kid is as good as he thinks he is, he should be able to debug the object (don't forget that javacode is JIT compiled, so you're not actually debugging at the machine level).

OTOH, so does Visual Studio now, so you don't need Eclipse. (Personally I think Eclipse sucks the big hairy root, but it's free and a self-styled hacker would tend to be anti-Micro$oft)

As to the other question of what he finds, I was kind of assuming it would be something in the code rather than some kind of data. Like maybe the code secretly scans the network whenever you're on a wifi network or something like that. We'll have to ask the OP for more info on that.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, you can debug a Java object file, but that doesn't seem like something you'd do while hacking a device over a network. Seems like that's something that would be time consuming and laborious that you'd do beforehand to figure out an exploit to do later.

Definitely need more details on what he's actually supposed I find.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure, you can debug a Java object file, but that doesn't seem like something you'd do while hacking a device over a network. Seems like that's something that would be time consuming and laborious that you'd do beforehand to figure out an exploit to do later.

well that's the thing. We are kind of thrashing around... :D

And anyway, on TV they write an entire new GUI before the second commercial. Whaddaya want, reality?

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Sorry, had additional thoughts on this. We may end up writing the OP's story! :)

You're right, it's a bit much for one sitting. But he might crack the barrista's phone, make note of the contents, etc, then go off to get a copy of some game she (was it a she?) has installed, in order to patch it and replace the original on her phone. While doing that on his own system, he discovers whatever it is that he discovers. Maybe code that attaches a worm to any other apps that it finds? Don't know how it would get out of the sandbox, but maybe there's an unpublished exploit?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I have always found the details of hacking rather dull, except when I was personally involved. It's one of those things where you can say you got in using something and not provide details, and very few people woudl notice it, because very few people hack networks.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have always found the details of hacking rather dull, except when I was personally involved. It's one of those things where you can say you got in using something and not provide details, and very few people woudl notice it, because very few people hack networks.

Totally agree, with the caveat that you have to understand the overview well enough to be able to say the "right things". I doubt the OP will use even as much detail as has been discussed, but it's up to the writer to distill this brain dump down to something coherent.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Believe it or not, I think I'm getting the gist of what you're all saying here. Not the details, yet, but the general idea.

For my story, it doesn't have to be the coffee shop employee's phone - if that is likely to be connected to a more secure network - it can be anyone in the shop at the time.

Although this is a sci-fi story, the kind of sci-fi I like is not about improbable space creatures or wildly futuristic worlds, but using science/technology that exists in the here and now and just nudging the boundaries a little - to the point where the reader may sit back and think, 'That could happen.'

In this story, the mc (who has learned a lot about hacking from an anonymous 'internet friend' known only as DaemonMaestr0*) succeeds in hacking into a phone app that's used in conjunction with a sleep monitoring device like this one.
But I've taken this device one step further. Not only does it monitor sleep patterns, it can also induce and regulate sleep. (Not necessarily as far-fetched as it sounds.:)) At first the kid is bored. So, she slept for 4 hours and 17 minutes? So what? But then he discovers something else. His target is a somnambulist and what she does in her sleep is where the actual terror begins.

I guess it's something like the ultimate hack - hacking into the human mind... and finding a heck of a lot more than you bargained for, type of thing. Does this help to give you a better idea of where I'm going with this?

* I'm very much hoping that there isn't a malicious hacker out there who has this handle.

I don't have words for how grateful I am for the technical help with this story. I really appreciate you all this much --> :e2arms:
http://www.fitbit.com/flex

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is cool. And yeah, they're using electromagnetic induction to do weird things to people in the lab these days. A step to something that would focus on your sleep centers is mostly just engineering.

A couple of points...

The barrista might be on the employee network, but what if hacker-boy discovers that some moron forgot to change the default password on the employee wifi router? Now he can log into it as admin and force it to accept his device (this has a few minor holes, but only a computer geek would catch them).

He browses her phone, sees the app, researches it, realizes the possibilities, downloads it from the business website, modifies it a bit, and uploads the modified version to her phone (over several days, obviously). Voila! Robo-barrista. Maybe he can even do some behavioral conditioning while she's asleep so she'll find herself doing things when awake that she can't explain.

This is getting creepy....

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is cool. And yeah, they're using electromagnetic induction to do weird things to people in the lab these days. A step to something that would focus on your sleep centers is mostly just engineering.

A couple of points...

The barrista might be on the employee network, but what if hacker-boy discovers that some moron forgot to change the default password on the employee wifi router? Now he can log into it as admin and force it to accept his device (this has a few minor holes, but only a computer geek would catch them).

He browses her phone, sees the app, researches it, realizes the possibilities, downloads it from the business website, modifies it a bit, and uploads the modified version to her phone (over several days, obviously). Voila! Robo-barrista. Maybe he can even do some behavioral conditioning while she's asleep so she'll find herself doing things when awake that she can't explain.

Very creepy. You reading my mind there, AG?

You're right though, this is very close to where the plot is going. I haven't worked out all the kinks yet, but they definitely come back to bite the mc in the butt. :evil

:D

bookworm92

Registered
Reaction score

A couple of points...

Or maybe the barrista is one of the people who has an obvious password like 12345, or password (people still use these passwords).

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, no need for a Raspberry Pi. It's just a cheap, less-powerful computer that can't run regular desktop software. (That's not entirely accurate, but close enough for this level of conversation.)

Why I thought about my mc using a Raspberry was two-fold. One, it's small and thus easy to 'borrow' while nobody's looking and, I believe, a lot of schools use them to teach kids the basics of programming. Two, my mc has 'borrowed' his sister's laptop so he would not want to leave traces of what he's doing - thus, he would upload his software, run it on her laptop and then download everything he wants to keep onto the Raspberry before wiping the 'evidence' off her machine. Can this work? Or should he just use a flash drive?

Also, thanks to Angry Guy, I now know what a wireless NIC is, so I've given my mc one that has an internal antennae. (I feeling so smart all of a sudden. :))

Firesheep would be an example of such software. Sit around on an open WiFi network, and voila, free usernames and passwords! This kind of stuff is common and easy.

I looked this ^ up and I think it's brilliant! I can definitely use this Firesheep in my story. Thanks so much. :)

Or maybe the barrista is one of the people who has an obvious password like 12345, or password (people still use these passwords).

You're right. I used my cat's name for all my passwords until my daughter pointed out exactly why that was not a good idea. :eek: Now I have to keep them all written down in a notebook in order to remember which one goes with what.

There is a lot information available on line , including YouTube demonstrations of phone hacking . It is surprisingly simple and a bit scary .

It's very scary. Today I found several websites explaining how to crack WPA2-PSK passwords. But I did not understand what they were talking about - so I guess the cyber world is safe from me. :D

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Why I thought about my mc using a Raspberry was two-fold. One, it's small and thus easy to 'borrow' while nobody's looking and, I believe, a lot of schools use them to teach kids the basics of programming. Two, my mc has 'borrowed' his sister's laptop so he would not want to leave traces of what he's doing - thus, he would upload his software, run it on her laptop and then download everything he wants to keep onto the Raspberry before wiping the 'evidence' off her machine. Can this work? Or should he just use a flash drive?

The "wiping the 'evidence' off her machine" may be a problem. There are log files in the OS that are easy to miss, and some are hidden. If you want this character to be successful, then you can have him know all of them, and if not then not.