Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hi,

Doing the right thing for the sake of love, not for rewards. It's like a person who loves another, in a way, not marrying for the sake of that old rich dude's wallet. Because really, most Muslims do what they do because of heaven.

I am sorry, but what are we talking about here? Love, or marriage?

I married my Beloved Hubby because I love him. He is everything to me; a man, a lover, my best friend, my all. He assures me that I am the same to him. I am an atheist. He is a believer (no need to explore which kind). He is not rich. I am not rich either. But to us - our love makes us rich. My reward for loving him is the love I receive in return and the assurance that what we have together transcends petty notions of "heaven" and "hell". We know that what is important exists here and now.

Your sentence, and I quote again "...most Muslims do what they do because of heaven..." strikes me as very prejudice, and quite honestly; as a challenge. It is as if you are trying to put forward a notion that love must equal "Muslim" (and I put that word in quotation marks because I felt it pertinent to this discussion, NOT because I am in any way trying to question or criticize your belief). I have to say, though, that that very remark seems to be intended to stir up a controversial discussion that has nothing to do with love at all.

If am totally wrong about this I implore the Moderators to remove this post, as I do not wish to offend neither the initiator of this thread, nor this Forum.

jari_k

Registered
Reaction score
Your sentence, and I quote again "...most Muslims do what they do because of heaven..." strikes me as very prejudice, and quite honestly; as a challenge. It is as if you are trying to put forward a notion that love must equal "Muslim" (and I put that word in quotation marks because I felt it pertinent to this discussion, NOT because I am in any way trying to question or criticize your belief). I have to say, though, that that very remark seems to be intended to stir up a controversial discussion that has nothing to do with love at all.

I am not trying to say what Deepthought meant, but I read an entirely different meaning into that statement. For me, it came across the same way the statement, "Most worship and do good deeds for the reward of Heaven, but some do all out of love for God" would.

I assumed he used the word "Muslim" in the same way a Christian might refer to other Christians. One of any faith, being on the inside, so to speak, might feel they understand their brothers and sisters in the faith better than others.

Last edited:

Aleiarity

mostly harmless
Registered
Reaction score
I believe humans are quite capable of loving unconditionally... and even if a person can't, that doesn't mean he or she doesn't love. Love can still exist among imperfections. As for bias... I don't think it matters.

I agree with love being a verb. The emotion of love can come from our actions or willingness to act for someone else, hoping for their best interests, and finding small ways to do good for someone else. Even if we can't be 100% selfless in our motivation, if our good intents are slightly stronger than our selfish ones, we can strengthen and purify our love by continuing to try to help others and wanting to see the best in them.

Every decision we make, every encounter we have, every action we do, and even the words we speak and thoughts we think, change us in some tiny way. If the good things even slightly outnumber the bad, and if we consciously choose to try to continue along that vein, the difference in number between those will increase. Love is alive and must flow to exist and stay healthy. Actions (and willingness to act, when actions are impossible) keep that love flowing. Since love can't exist in a static state, it can either grow brighter and purer, or stagnate and then fade.

Status
Not open for further replies.