• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Looks like all dinosaurs had feathers, probably

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140724-feathered-siberia-dinosaur-scales-science/

The discovery of a Jurassic-era plant-eating dinosaur with feathers lends weight to the hypothesis that all dinosaurs had feathers at least from the Triassic onward.

All previous dinosaur fossils with feathers were carnivores.

The discovery in Siberia of an herbivorous dinosaur with feathers suggests that the ancestor of dinosaurs had them before dinosaurs evolved and the lineages split, which suggests that every dinosaur had feathers, or at least the potential to grow them.

It is hypothesized that larger dinosaurs had few or no feathers, much the same way elephants today have little hair.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Thanks for the article. Cool stuff, and something I've been wondering about for a while, especially when tiny (and completely feathered) dinosaurs perch on my windowsill and indignantly remind me that their feeder is empty.

Someone linked a video on facebook the other day of a blue heron hunting for gophers in an empty field (and swallowing them whole). Makes me wonder how anyone ever doubted the bird-dinosaur connection.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be suprised if feather-like filaments were basal to both dinosaurs and pterosaurs. Or even deeper than that. I've read there is some genetic evidence that the scales of that other group of living archosaurs, the crocodiles, evolved from feather-like structures, rather than the other way around.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Well them having feathers would make sense if they are in the zone between endo- and exothermic (and for the life of me I can't remember what it is called at the moment.)
Feathers would help with control of body temperature. Simply by fluffing them out would produce a slight thermal layer to catch body heat. Laying them down would allow heat to dissipate easier. Especially useful for smaller creatures with less body mass although I really can't imagine a fluffy T-rex right now.
;)

GeoWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Well them having feathers would make sense if they are in the zone between endo- and exothermic (and for the life of me I can't remember what it is called at the moment.)

;)

There's "ectothermic" for those who use environmental conditions to raise metabolic rates--but I think recent research reports suggested dinosaurs may have used some type of metabolic body temperature control but not completely endothermic control--not sure what it's called either. Anyone know?

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Fluffy dinosaurs.

So maybe that's why they went extinct. They couldn't reconcile their tough guy image with their plumage.

Or maybe a marauding race of aliens killed them all to start an intergalactic trade in stuffed pillows and duvets?